Groggy in the morning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jcurt172

Groggy in the morning

Post by jcurt172 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 pm

I've only been using CPAP for 3 days but am already noticing a general grogginess in the morning that lasts for about 3 hours. I'm sure I'm going through some changes and am wondering if anyone else else has had the same experience.
Remstart Auto A-Flex
System One Humidifier
F&P Simplus Full Face Mask

Randy32

Re: Groggy in the morning

Post by Randy32 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 pm

your body has a lot of sleep to catch up on it will take a while for you to catch up

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm

jcurt172 wrote:I've only been using CPAP for 3 days but am already noticing a general grogginess in the morning that lasts for about 3 hours. I'm sure I'm going through some changes and am wondering if anyone else else has had the same experience.
I've been on it for 6 days and have the same problem. I feel light headed almost high in the first part of the day. I am getting up more and waking up during the night as I try to get used to the machine, I'm assuming this is the issue. I taped my mouth last night and I really think it ruined my sleep for the night. I ordered a hybrid mask now instead of the nasal pillow. On the flip side I feel a slight sense of energy building up when I wake up that I can't remember having since I was a kid. It's slight but it's there. Good luck.

jcurt172

Post by jcurt172 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks for the replies. Great forum!

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 am

If I feel groggy I always suspect that things are not working right! it seems to happen when I re-use
the same piece of tape too long ('cos it's more comfy) so I suspect it is due to mouth leaks. maybe.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 am

How you feel can be a good indicator as whether or not your therapy is doing well, however if you've got a data-capable machine it would also be wise to get the software to monitor how you're doing. For example if you're having mask leaks and are not aware of it, you may inclined to blame the whole therapy when all you really have to do is fix the leak.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Sometimes really deep sleep leaves you groggy, even if you aren't doing CPAP. Ever feel groggy after a really good, deep nap, or sleeping in late?

CPAP newbies often feel groggy in the mornings for a while, but it usually goes away. I'm guessing this may be your brain and body getting used to getting good sleep.

I'm saying it's not necessarily an indication that the therapy is going bad. However, bad sleep/bad CPAP can leave you groggy, too, so you should keep an eye on grogginess.

Even if good CPAP therapy does leave you a little groggy long term, don't forget that untreated apnea can lead to brain damage, heart problems, stroke, etc. long term even if it doesn't cause immediate fatigue.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.