Nasal spray addiction with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nelliebear

Nasal spray addiction with CPAP

Post by Nelliebear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi I am new here and I need some advice. I have been using a CPAP with nasal pillows for about 4 years. During this time I have developed a addiction or dependency on nasal decongestant spray. I use it at night to be able to use my machine and sleep. I have been using a very mild formula made for children by Triamenic. I was doing Ok with it and only needed to use it at night. For some reason, the manufacturer stopped making it and I had to go to a different chemical, now I have a sinus infection and a serious dependency on the stuff!! My sinuses keep plugging up giving me that BLOCK HEAD feeling. I am really trying to wean off but at night when I use my CPAP, if I can't breathe freely, I can't sleep!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How do other people use their machines when they are congested??
Thanks!!

jmelby

Re: Nasal spray addiction with CPAP

Post by jmelby » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Have you considered using a full face mask while you wean yourself off of nasal spray? It sounds like you are experiencing rebound effect common with nasal sprays. What about using a neti pot?

(yet another Jeff)

Nelliebear

Post by Nelliebear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:39 pm

I have tried using a Neti pot. But it doesn't seem to help. Especially if I am plugged up.
I have never had a full face mask before, because I haven't needed it. Are they easier to use when your nose is stuffy?? I don't sleep with my mouth open at all, so when My nose plugs up, I wake up gasping for air because I feel like I am suffocating!!

kempo

Post by kempo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Getting off nose sprays is like trying to stop smoking. My best advice is stop cold turkey while using AYR nose gel and clarintin-D. Then wean yourelf of the clarintin-D.

I was addicted to nose spray many years ago and it was hell trying to stop using it.

You may have to use a full face mask during this period.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by kempo on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelliebear

Post by Nelliebear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the help, Guys. I will look into a full face mask. And yes quitting the stuff is hell. I have ordered a system from Rhinostat that is supposed to help wean off by diluting the stuff gradually. Should arrive Monday. We'll see. I am getting anxious though about how I will be able to use my CPAP in the future if I get stuffy. I have never tried AYR either. I will check into that. Again, Thanks!!

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:09 pm

In the meantime, try keeping your schnoz moisturized using a saline nasal spray. There's nothing addictive about salt water, and it will keep your nasal passages from drying out while your nose re-establishes its balance.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:10 pm

It is tough. The nasal mucosa get dependent on the chemicals to keep open and even using only at night will bring on the dependency. It is called rebound.

Talk to your doctor about maybe adding some special nasal spray that can help. I needed some as well as oral decongestant. Some people wean off by doing one nostril at a time. Keep the mucosa well lubricated. Simply Saline nasal solution will help with that.

Best thing is to talk to doctor about giving you something to help you through this. It takes several days and there are some prescription nasal sprays that can help.

Full Face mask if you had one would let you breathe through your mouth while doing all this. But I was able to break the chain and use nasal pillows with decongestant and the Rx nasal spray.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nelliebear

Post by Nelliebear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:15 pm

@ Pugsy,
Which RX spray did you use?? I asked my Doctor last week when he put me on anti-biotics, but he just looked at me like he was dumbfounded.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Nelliebear wrote: Which RX spray did you use?? I asked my Doctor last week when he put me on anti-biotics, but he just looked at me like he was dumbfounded

Flonase for me, I do believe there are others. You may have symptoms of a sinus infection because rebound mimics it. The antibiotics can help if a real infection but will do nothing for the rebound.

Lots and lots of hydration needs to be done with something like Simple Saline (OTC in drugstore). I got hooked on Afrin (again) when I let my humidifier go dry and then my mucosa got dried out and it does mimic a bad cold or sinus infection. It takes me very little to get addicted again. I have weaned myself off several times over years. Even before CPAP. So I only use it in extreme emergencies.

It is about 3 nights (or days) of hell to get through it. That is why I suggest an oral decongestant also. Flonase doesn't work like the Afrin stuff, it isn't immediate but it does help with the swelling and that is where the rebound is. The mucosa get swollen and just have to relearn that they don't need the Afrin like products to get smaller. It takes time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Nelliebear wrote:Hi I am new here and I need some advice. I have been using a CPAP with nasal pillows for about 4 years. During this time I have developed a addiction or dependency on nasal decongestant spray. I use it at night to be able to use my machine and sleep. I have been using a very mild formula made for children by Triamenic. I was doing Ok with it and only needed to use it at night. For some reason, the manufacturer stopped making it and I had to go to a different chemical, now I have a sinus infection and a serious dependency on the stuff!! My sinuses keep plugging up giving me that BLOCK HEAD feeling. I am really trying to wean off but at night when I use my CPAP, if I can't breathe freely, I can't sleep!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How do other people use their machines when they are congested??
Thanks!!
I've suffered with this off and on for 40 years! I've found it not too hard to beat, but you need to set the conditions for it.

First, to get off the nasal spray, you need to be healthy. It's impossible if you also have a cold or the flu.

Second, you need a higher than normal humidity environment. Much easier in the summer. This time of year, do it while on vacation in a sunny southern location. If you have to do it at home in winter, do what you can to raise the humidity as high as possible. And take lots of steamy showers. But be careful NOT to set the humidity level on your xpap too high - that can cause stuffiness, too.

Third. Use an extra strength allergy decongestant. Find one that works best for you. And use it at max dosage. Use of a saline spray also can help, but I've found this to be of only minimal use.

I've found that the worst of the rebound is gone after about 3 days.
I'm workin' on it.

Nelliebear

Post by Nelliebear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks again for the help!!!
Fortunately I live in Southern California, so it is warm here, 78 today, but dry as a bone. I will use some saline right now, and get on some allergy meds as well. You all have been very helpful with what is really an embarrassing problem.

pbach

Post by pbach » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I have had rebound congestion on two occasions from nose spray.

One time the doctor gave me a few day prescription of prednisone pills. This relieved the congestion.

The last time a doctor had me use flonase. Advised me to use the afrin in only one nostril. After the congestion stops in the alternate nostril , stop aftrin. You will then be congested in the Afrin side and eventually it will subside. At least you can always breath through one side.
It worked but it was tough.

JohnD

Post by JohnD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:25 pm

This was suggested by an ENT as a way to help one slowly get off the Afrin.

I bought the generic Flonase, which is cheaper....you need a prescription for it....you might have to take a small pair of pointed pliers to get the metal cap off of the generic
Flonase....you also need an empty nasal spray bottle...I used an empty Nasalide bottle....empty the Flonase into this bottle, then add about a teaspoon of Afrin...use this at night,
then when you need a new bottle of Flonase, reduce the Afrin, say to 3/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp, and so on...until you are only using the Flonase....it takes a bit more time, but does work.

lbw

Post by lbw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Try using a saline nose spray. Speak with your MD as well as there may be something for you to use in the interm, If you cant do cold turkey you may just have to do a slow wean off which may be more tolerable for you. Good luck

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:47 pm

flonase and neti pot, saline spray or gel.....all are helpful as people have mentioned.
I have also used mucinex D to get myself over the hump. I have never been addicted to Afrin but when I have a lot of congestion I have used it for several nights in a row. I can feel myself getting dependent....My doctor recommended the mucinex D and that has helped.