Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Tank?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How often do you clean your water tank?

Every Day
15%
Never
16%
Every So Often
57%
Other
13%

Total votes: 489

-SWS

Re: Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Tank?

Post by -SWS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 am

Muffy wrote:Mary Kay keeps her tanks pretty clean:

Muffy
Hmmm.... My sister use to sell Mary Kay cosmetics... My understanding is you've got to sell one hell of a lot of cosmetics to be awarded a signature Mary Kay pink Cadillac....

If you can do that, AND are admirably militant about her products, then apparently you get a fancy pink tank instead.

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 pm

"No, son, that is NOT "parallel" parking, that is "perpendicular" parking, and the last time you're going to use the family tank!"

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Muffy wrote:Puff Daddy's tank:

Muffy
LOL Wouldn't want to get this thing back on track : )

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 am

I'm told my tank needs more camouflage in order to make it a little less conspicuous.

How's this?

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

getafix

Post by getafix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:42 pm

I have the tank for PR S1. It is easy to open. I always use distilled water. Every morning I empty the tank and rinse with tap water and then I leave it out to dry.

gromittoo

Post by gromittoo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:08 pm

I recently switched from a Respironics M series to a Resmed S8 Autoset II. The Respironics "redesigned" humidifier was loud, but at least I could open the water container to clean it. The Resmed design does not permit a thorough scrubbing of the interior. I dump my water every morning, and I like to put fresh, lukewarm tap water in my machine every night. Eventually scum builds up.

With the Resmed design, I could open the water bottle into two halves, and scrub every surface using toothbrush and toothpaste. With the Resmed design, I can't even get my finger inside to feel if scum is building up. I do use two capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide every night, which seems to keep the mold at bay, but I still would prefer to have the option of scrubbing.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

gromittoo wrote:I recently switched from a Respironics M series to a Resmed S8 Autoset II. The Respironics "redesigned" humidifier was loud, but at least I could open the water container to clean it. The Resmed design does not permit a thorough scrubbing of the interior. I dump my water every morning, and I like to put fresh, lukewarm tap water in my machine every night. Eventually scum builds up.

With the Resmed design, I could open the water bottle into two halves, and scrub every surface using toothbrush and toothpaste. With the Resmed design, I can't even get my finger inside to feel if scum is building up. I do use two capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide every night, which seems to keep the mold at bay, but I still would prefer to have the option of scrubbing.
If you would spend a few pennys and use distilled water, you wouldn't get the scum.

Rjaye

Post by Rjaye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Ha, I use high quality alcohol and water. Actually, my sleep tech suggested it-mix isopropyl alcohol about 1 to 7 or 8 parts and soak tank for a few minutes. Rinse and let airdry. I do this about once a week, or when I feel guilty. The tank is clear and pristine after six months.

He also suggested using alcohol to clean my mask, but I'm rethinking that now. The silicone gets cloudy and I wonder about the material breaking down. So, we'll see when I get the new mask and use a mild soap.

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:12 pm

LSAT wrote:
gromittoo wrote:I recently switched from a Respironics M series to a Resmed S8 Autoset II. The Respironics "redesigned" humidifier was loud, but at least I could open the water container to clean it. The Resmed design does not permit a thorough scrubbing of the interior. I dump my water every morning, and I like to put fresh, lukewarm tap water in my machine every night. Eventually scum builds up.

If you would spend a few pennies and use distilled water, you wouldn't get the scum.

The thought of using anything but distilled water in the humidifier just grosses me out.

Gromittoo... ResMed makes and CPAP.com sells a dishwasher safe water chamber.
Last edited by WestCoastCdnGrl on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad3766

Post by rad3766 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Ive had my machine just over a month now and have cleaned the tank once using vinegar followed by a wash with generic baby shampoo.
I use distill water at home and bottled water when Im out working on the water. No problems....well, with the tank anyway.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 pm

When I first began therapy I would never have done what I do now - which is just use distilled water and open the tank to dry on a clean cloth all day before filling once again at night. I never clean it. It has stayed crystal clear with no deposits or other that would indicate I need to use soap or other cleaning products. My water chamber does come apart so it thoroughly air dries.

Rick B

Post by Rick B » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Guess I can throw my two cents in here. When I first got the machine, I was diligent about the recommended cleaning, for a couple weeks. Then I got lazy. I have had it for about 8 months now. I use strictly distilled water and top it off every few days as needed and haven't cleaned the tank in 7 months. Looks crystal clear like brand new. With the mask, I clean it when I remember to, maybe once a month or less with a couple drops of baby shampoo. No problems so far, except that the straps are wearing out on the mask now and will need to be replaced soon I think.

Zigs

Post by Zigs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Rjaye wrote:He also suggested using alcohol to clean my mask, but I'm rethinking that now. The silicone gets cloudy and I wonder about the material breaking down. So, we'll see when I get the new mask and use a mild soap.
I was told to never use alcohol to clean the mask (silicone part) as it can break it down, as you said. I was told I could use no-alcohol baby wipes, so I use those to wipe my mask down each night.

But this is about the tank, right? I have been cleaning mine a few times a week with Seventh Generation dish soap and warm water, and on the nights I'm too lazy to clean it fully, I at least rinse it out. I do use only distilled water in mine. So far it has been squeaky clean!

Flower51

Post by Flower51 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I am an every so often person. We have well water but have a water softener, a whole house filter w/charcoal filters (I'm thinking its the same principal as the kind that you install on the faucet that are smaller) and an RO filter (reverse osmosis) that takes care of drinking water from the kitchen. This one takes out all minerals...not as good for drinking but I get minerals in other ways....and results in a very pure water. That's what I use in my humidifier. I do empty it every morning and once in awhile I either use sporiclean (now called zymeaway) which is a nontoxic enzyme product that kills fungus, bacteria, etc...or plain white vinegar straight.
Rinse it well after letting either one of these sit. I used to use a shot of dish soap or baby soap but not usually anymore. Before having the ro filtered water, I used to get a pale orangey scum on the bottom of the chamber. Not good. Terr y

254/192/goal 145

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Every 3 to 6 months rather it needs it or not.

I only use distilled water in it. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean and look for foaming, never is any. Never have used tap water in the tank even for cleaning.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18