how to see number of leaks on S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Flower51

how to see number of leaks on S9

Post by Flower51 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am

Is is possible to see the number of leaks on the S9 screen from the clinicians side rather than just the "smiley face" that appears w/good mask fit? If "yes" can you walk me through it? My respiratory tech doesn't know how...he is not competely familiar w/how this machine functions other than the basics. Haven't downloaded software yet as I am so unfamiliar w/the process it is kind of daunting. T

254/192/goal 145

Uncle_Bob

Re: how to see number of leaks on S9

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 am

Even if software is not your thing you can download the clinicians manual in the link below my avatar to learn more about your machine.

To see your leak which is in your sleep report. To get this hold down the two buttons at once for 3 seconds until the screen flickers. then rotate the dial left to move the icon on the screen down to sleep report. then you should see you leak value at the bottom. Use the dial (turning left) to see your AHI score break down.

UB

cwied

Post by cwied » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 am

To give more details: the leak number in the advanced info that Uncle Bob explained to you is the 95th percentile leak number. This means that 95% of the night, you were under this rate, so it's a size, not number of leaks. The number is reported in liters/minute.

If you want to count the number of leaks, you'll need to look at the detailed graph using the software.

Flower51

Post by Flower51 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks Bob. Can you explain what some of this stuff means?

Pressure 10.2 (my machine is set at 7.6-16 and my "sweet spot" is 9, so I'm guessing that means that at least once I had a need for a 10.2 pressure is that correct?)

Leak 6.0L/mins Is that good or bad? What does the L/mins mean? Does it mean I leak badly 6 times a min? Would that have to do more w/the mask fit than the machine?n What is acceptable and how do you get there? I use FX pillows although I still have an LT.

AHI 0.2 I think that means no apneaic events and 2 hypops. How important are hypops?

Total AI 0.1 What is AI? What does it mean?

Central AI 0.0 That's good! Thanks, Terry

254/192/goal 145

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:48 pm

To see the 95% leak rate from the LCD, you need the full Sleep Report menu. This menu is found by:

Step 1: Press the info button to get into the standard, short Sleep Quality menu.

Step 2: Press the info button and the "double check mark" button simultaneously for about 3 seconds. You may notice a tiny flicker in the menu you're looking at.

Step 3: Use the big round knob to scroll down from the top icon to the second one. At this point you should see the top of the Sleep Report menu. The 95% leak rate is at the bottom of the LCD at this point on my S9.

Step 4: Click the big round knob to get into the Sleep Report menu so that you can scroll all the way down to see the rest of the more detailed sleep report, which will include your AHI, the AI, and the CAI for the night. Once you're into the Sleep Report menu, you can also change the "Period" of data you're looking at if you want. It lets you choose between 1 day (data from noon to noon), 1 week (7 night averages), 1 month, and 3 months.

As others have mentioned, downloading the detailed data and looking at it in ResScan gives you a lot more information than the LCD does---particularly about leaks.

Last edited by robysue on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:11 pm

Flower51 wrote:Thanks Bob. Can you explain what some of this stuff means?

Pressure 10.2 (my machine is set at 7.6-16 and my "sweet spot" is 9, so I'm guessing that means that at least once I had a need for a 10.2 pressure is that correct?)
This means that for 95% of the time the S9 was running over night, your pressure was at or below 10.2 cm. [And so your pressure was at or above 10.2cm for 5 per cent of the time.]
Leak 6.0L/mins Is that good or bad? What does the L/mins mean? Does it mean I leak badly 6 times a min? Would that have to do more w/the mask fit than the machine?n What is acceptable and how do you get there? I use FX pillows although I still have an LT.
This means that your 95% leak rate was 6 Liters per minute. "Liter" is a metric volume measurement that is about the same size as a US quart. What this stat means is that 95% of the time the machine was running, it detected a leak rate of less than or equal to 6.0 liters per minute. This is well below the threshold that the S9 uses to turn the "green smiley" into the "red frowny" on the short version of the Sleep Quality menu. If I recall the documentation correctly, the red frowny appears if your 70% leak rate is something like 24L/minute. So the S9's software is not worried about your leak rate. To get a better idea of whether you want to worry about your leak rate, you need to download the data and look at it in ResScan. In ResScan you'll be able to find out your median leak rate and your maximum leak rate as well as your 95% leak rate. By looking at the detailed graph for the leak rate data, you'll be able to determine if you have a handful of short leaks each night or are steadily leaking all night long.
AHI 0.2 I think that means no apneaic events and 2 hypops. How important are hypops?
No, you're misinterpreting this statistic completely.

AHI = 0.2 means that your average rate of detectable apneas and hypopneas is 0.2 events per hour. How many events this represents really depends on the number of hours you used the machine. For example, if you used the machine for five hours and you're looking at 1 day's worth of data, then you compute the numbrer of events as follows:

(5 hours) x (0.2 events per hour) = 5 x 0.2 events = 1 event.

But if you slept 10 hours, the computation would be:

(10 hours) x (0.2 events per hour) = 10 x 0.2 events = 2 events.

From what I can tell looking at my LCD data every morning and looking at the actual number of events that show up in the detailed event graphs for the data, I find that I have to ALWAYS round up my computed estimated number of events, if there is a fractional part. So if you slept something like 6.2 hours (the Usage number), you can compute the estimated number of detected events as:

(6.2 hours) x (0.2 events per hour) = 6 x 0.2 events = 1.2 events = 2 events due to the need to round UP the estimated number.
Total AI 0.1 What is AI? What does it mean?
This means that the average rate of the number of detected apneas (both central and obstructive) is 0.1 events per hour. Since your AHI = 0.2 in the sample data, that indicates about half the events were apneas and about half were hypopneas. You can compute an estimated number of apneas using this figure and the Usage figure in the same way I illustrated computing the total number of events. Just remember to round up any fractional part.
Central AI 0.0 That's good! Thanks, Terry
Yes, this data indicates that the S9 detected an average rate of 0.0 central apnenas for the data period since 0 times anything is 0.

Hope the brief math lesson helps!

streetrodder

Post by streetrodder » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:04 am

thanks robysue for the explanation I am also a newbie and need to learn as much as possible.