looking for advice on best masks for side sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dantheeditman

looking for advice on best masks for side sleeping

Post by dantheeditman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 am

Hi everyone. This site looks great -- full of information! I started with CPAP at the beginning of this year. At first things were good, but in the last few months I've been very frustrated. Not sleeping well again.

I'm hoping you can give me some suggestions of what works best for sleeping on your side. I use the classic comfort mask which doesn't work so well. I'm thinking a nasal pillow type mask might be better. I've read some of the reviews and am thinking about the comfort lite 2, but there are so many options I'm confused.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:37 pm

I use THIS one.

IMO, it is the best... especially for side sleepers.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Dan, the ComfortLite 2 would be a good choice, imho.

Also, my favorite -- the Invacare Twilight NP (used to be called Aeiomed's "Headrest" or "Aura".) Same mask that Wader uses.

Either of those are the best I've used for sleeping on my side.

You might need to add an extra strap or do something (rubber band fix, trash ties fix, etc.) but with modifications, both are very good interfaces for me. I'm a toss and turn side sleeper.

LINKS to Invacare Twilight NP (Aeiomed Headrest- Aura) nasal pillows mask topics
viewtopic.php?t=3098

LINKS to Respironics ComfortLite 2 nasal pillows mask topics
viewtopic.php?t=8066
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

LikwidFlux

Post by LikwidFlux » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Here are a lit of masks I have or have ordered and how I felt they worked for side sleeping.

ComforGel - A+
Ultra Mirage II - A
Mirage Swift - On Order
Comfort Curve - C
FlexiFit 431HC - B-
Hybrid - On Order

Wow, I didn't realize I had that many masks already (started CPAP a month ago).

Likwid

lferrel

Side Sleeping masks

Post by lferrel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi,

I am a side sleeper and, also, toss and turn a lot during the night. I have tried Profile Lite, Comfort Curve, Swift, Breeze, Hybrid, Comfort Lite 2, Aura, and Soyala. The latter, along with a Supportable pillow from Target.com has worked best for me.

I have had to make two modifications to the Soyala. I rolled the net in back attaching the two head straps until they overlapped. I stapled them so they would stay in that position and added Pad A Cheeks and stapled them too so they would stay in place. Then, recently, the circular piece that connects the elbow to the mask started coming off. After it did it four times in four nights, I got out my hot glue gun and put a little dab of hot glue on the inside of the nasal mask locking the ring to the mask. This solved the problem.

With the above minor modifications, I toss and turn all night with no problems. I never have to reach up and tug the top strap down in back (which has been a fairly common problem with all the masks I have used that have straps around the back of the head).

The Target pillow is the icing on the cake. I spent a lot of money trying different pillows until I found this one: It is wonderful!

Lowell

whatrdreamsmadeof

Masks

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 pm

I side sleep, toss and turn all nite but mostly I sleep on my stomach head to the side of course. I tried the comfort lite 2 and with modifications to bring it close to my face it probably would have worked, but at the time I didn't try to reconfigure it,,,,,wish i had, the Aura rested gal loves and i would have loved it too it's lite and comfortable, but it was too big for me headgear and all, but I'd give it a try if I were you..
I use the breeze and it is the best thing for me......headgear and all, sometimes it pugs up my nose and I wake up with "pignose" but it goes away quickly......dreamstalker has a great modification for the breeze if the headgear bothers you...
I would try the Aura then the breeze if I were you .........Good luck

racefan

Post by racefan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm a side sleeper who tosses & turns & I use a Breeze

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:37 pm

I'm one of those people who sleep in every position! I use the hybrid and have no problems no matter how much I toss and turn. Stomach sleeping, side sleeping, back sleeping, doesn't matter. The mask doesn't move or leak.

Brenda

Snoredog

Re: Side Sleeping masks

Post by Snoredog » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:21 pm

lferrel wrote:Hi,

I am a side sleeper and, also, toss and turn a lot during the night. I have tried Profile Lite, Comfort Curve, Swift, Breeze, Hybrid, Comfort Lite 2, Aura, and Soyala. The latter, along with a Supportable pillow from Target.com has worked best for me.

I have had to make two modifications to the Soyala. I rolled the net in back attaching the two head straps until they overlapped. I stapled them so they would stay in that position and added Pad A Cheeks and stapled them too so they would stay in place. Then, recently, the circular piece that connects the elbow to the mask started coming off. After it did it four times in four nights, I got out my hot glue gun and put a little dab of hot glue on the inside of the nasal mask locking the ring to the mask. This solved the problem.

With the above minor modifications, I toss and turn all night with no problems. I never have to reach up and tug the top strap down in back (which has been a fairly common problem with all the masks I have used that have straps around the back of the head).

The Target pillow is the icing on the cake. I spent a lot of money trying different pillows until I found this one: It is wonderful!

Lowell
ditto to everything Lowell said....

I also had to put a dab of hot-melt glue on the silicone ring so the elbow didn't unscrew, since doing that it has been fine, I haven't had any problems with the headgear, I actually like the headgear it is kind of stretchy (tells you how tight you need to wear the straps).

I also sleep on my side the Soyala has been the best interface for me. I've only been using not quite a month, but it has quickly become my favorite mask. It costs a bit more but worth it.

They Soyala has nice basic adjustments for stopping leaks into the eyes, adjusting the forehead support, has 4ea quick release clips so cleaning is a breeze, has the best ball swivel joint elbow of any interface I've ever used.
You can wear the straps semi-loose and it won't leak, probably one of the reasons it is so comfortable you don't have to cinch up on the straps. It is made in Germany.

If you get one and it unscrews, just put a drop of hot-melt glue at the top of the silicone retaining ring and it will keep it from unscrewing during sleep.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Soyala ... dgear.html

whatrdreamsmadeof

thanx

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:29 pm

Thanx a million for the pix Snoredog, I have that mask on the way.........I love my breeze, but sometimes the "Pignose" gets on my nerves..............Ellen

dantheeditman

A big thank you!!!

Post by dantheeditman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Thank you everyone who repiied to my post. I really appreciate the advice and will let you know what I end up doing and how it works. Thanks again.

Dan

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 pm

Hello Dan,

I am a side sleeper that tosses and turns.

Two interfaces that I have and do not plan on changing are the Nasal Aire II and the Hybrid.

I tryed the Comfort Curve. It stayed in place but I could not stop the leak. It did not fit my nose well.

I tryed the Swift. It did not leak as long as I was awake, but would move and leak while I slept. I was worn out after trying to make it work for two weeks. I

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Dan,

I'm a side-sleeper and frequently toss-and-turn.....and I have no problems with mine.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05