NEWBIE CPAP and Diarrhea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rickywli

NEWBIE CPAP and Diarrhea

Post by rickywli » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Does anyone have Diarrhea when they use the CPAP. It seems if I use the CPAP longer than 6 hours a night I have been having diarrhea.

Anybody else have this?

DreamStalker

Re: NEWBIE CPAP and Diarrhea

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 am

Please explain how you can possibly correlate this to CPAP use. Even if you could eat and digest your CPAP equipment, how would it upset the bacterial balance of your lower gut?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 am

Perhaps you just started having it at a time when you were using your cpap more, but it wasn't due to the cpap treatment, I am sure. Do you have IBS? You may want to consult with a GI but I am sure that it has nothing to do with your cpap treatment.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 am

You may be swallowing air. This can cause stomach cramps which you might be mistaking for diarrhea.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

Seems reasonable to me that the stimulation from gas and cramping when air goes into the belly could cause diarrhea. I guess if it is a persistent issue one would have to decide if anti diarrheal measures are needed, and if it merits consulting a doctor. If you are certain of the correlation, it may be time to discuss possible ways to reduce the air in the belly by looking at the pressure and how it is delivered. People may respond differently to different delivery types, as in if exhalation relief is used, fixed vs fluctuating pressure, etc.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 am

rickywli wrote:Does anyone have Diarrhea when they use the CPAP. It seems if I use the CPAP longer than 6 hours a night I have been having diarrhea.

Anybody else have this?
Are you taking something like Glucophage (Metformin)?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am

You are suppose to wear your mask on your face.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

I don't think we should ever put someone down for asking questions, even if its something we may never have encountered, or doesn't make sense to us.
Correcting sleep apnea can make all sorts of changes in our bodies and I'm not one to say a certain symptom isn't possible.
I agree that it may be air swallowing. I also agree to wait awhile and see if it clears up. You could take some pepto bismol in the meantime.
Our GI tracts are referred to as our "Second brain", because the neurochemicals they secrete and respond to are almost on par with those of our brains. Our guts are responsive to many, many reactions in our bodies. Bacterial imbalance is only one small possible reason for diarrhea.
Good luck to you.

RLAUREN

Post by RLAUREN » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 am

Wulfman wrote:
rickywli wrote:Does anyone have Diarrhea when they use the CPAP. It seems if I use the CPAP longer than 6 hours a night I have been having diarrhea.

Anybody else have this?

Den
Wulfman,
Can I asked why you asked that question? I am diabetic and since starting CPAP my sugars have gone up. But then again I started taking Advair for my my diagnosed COPD. I am very curious to how many of us here are on O2 and are Diabetic as well.

Thanks

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 am

Country4ever wrote:I don't think we should ever put someone down for asking questions, even if its something we may never have encountered, or doesn't make sense to us.
Correcting sleep apnea can make all sorts of changes in our bodies and I'm not one to say a certain symptom isn't possible.
I agree that it may be air swallowing. I also agree to wait awhile and see if it clears up. You could take some pepto bismol in the meantime.
Our GI tracts are referred to as our "Second brain", because the neurochemicals they secrete and respond to are almost on par with those of our brains. Our guts are responsive to many, many reactions in our bodies. Bacterial imbalance is only one small possible reason for diarrhea.
Good luck to you.
First of all, I was not putting anyone down. I truely did not and do not understand how CPAP use can possibly cause diarrhea.

Diarrhea is generally caused by infections, what you eat/drink, and or medications -
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diarrh ... ION=causes
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorder ... s-diarrhea

I don't see CPAP or aerophagia listed as a cause. I stand uncorrected and misunderstood.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 pm

RLAUREN wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Anybody else have this?

Den
Wulfman,
Can I asked why you asked that question? I am diabetic and since starting CPAP my sugars have gone up. But then again I started taking Advair for my my diagnosed COPD. I am very curious to how many of us here are on O2 and are Diabetic as well.

Thanks
One of the commonly related side-effects of taking Glucophage/Metformin is diarrhea.
(on a personal note, I tried taking it about 5 yrs. ago and had the opposite effect )

There is a strong relationship for those with Sleep Apnea and Diabetes.
I've posted the links many times on the forum, but if you want to search for yourself, do a Google search on "Sleep Apnea AND Diabetes".

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

RLAUREN wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Anybody else have this?

Den
Wulfman,

Thanks

Glucophage can cause diarrhea. It is true that so many things can and do upset our digestive tract, stress, spicey foods, not enough sleep, medications ................ Give it some time and see if it clears up.

rosie

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Wulfman wrote:
RLAUREN wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Anybody else have this?

Den
Wulfman,

Thanks
One of the commonly related side-effects of taking Glucophage/Metformin is diarrhea.
(on a personal note, I tried taking it about 5 yrs. ago and had the opposite effect )

There is a strong relationship for those with Sleep Apnea and Diabetes.
I've posted the links many times on the forum, but if you want to search for yourself, do a Google search on "Sleep Apnea AND Diabetes".

Den
I would think that OSA and diabetes have a strong relationship to obesisity rather than OSA to diabetes.

I wonder how many have both diabetes and OSA but are NOT obese/overweight?

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Dreamstalker..........sorry if I came across too strong. I know that I ask some unusual questions myself, but some of them come from my making alot of connections that others might not.
And.....I am plagued with IBS diarrhea, and it very well has nothing to do with bacteria, but rather neuro-chemical stimulation or a neuro defect in the bowel.
Your answer was somewhat terse, and I didn't want a newbie to be scared off.
Still friends?

Cliffff

Post by Cliffff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 am

Try cleaning and sterilizing your CPAP tubing and equipment as advised by the manufacturer to preclude bacterial infections which could be the root of your problem..........