hybrid ffm vs mirage liberty mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbas

hybrid ffm vs mirage liberty mask

Post by tbas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 am

Does anyone know which mask is better? The DME person said she has the mirage liberty in stock but has to see if she can order the hybrid. Should I wait for the hybrid or try the mirage liberty? I've been using the mirage quattro and hate it! (don't want to make another mistake)

tbas49

BleepingBeauty

Re: hybrid ffm vs mirage liberty mask

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 am

tbas wrote:Does anyone know which mask is better? The DME person said she has the mirage liberty in stock but has to see if she can order the hybrid. Should I wait for the hybrid or try the mirage liberty? I've been using the mirage quattro and hate it! (don't want to make another mistake)
Although similar in style, there are some (important, IMO) differences between the two masks. My opinion: Get the Hybrid. The Liberty comes with one size oral cushion (small or large); the Hybrid comes with three (s/m/l). The Hybrid's pillows are height-adjustable (low or high); the Liberty's are not. The Hybrid has a built-in chinflap; some here choose to remove that (very carefully) and find the mask works well without it. Personally, I find the chinflap stabilizes the mask on my face and encourages me to breathe through my nose, so I have no desire to cut it off.

I've used both the Liberty and the Hybrid, and for me, there's no contest. But we're all different, and many have success with the Liberty.

P.S. Check out http://www.cpapauction.com for good deals on masks (and everything else xpap-related). If you opt to try the Liberty now (so you don't have to wait for the Hybrid) but find that it doesn't seal well for you, you can look for the Hybrid on the auction if you decide you want to try it.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

tbas

Post by tbas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 am

Thank you so much!

tbas49

melissa1974

Post by melissa1974 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:21 am

Hi-
I have been using the liberty for a week or so and having some success with it, but am interested in trying the hybrid, also, to see which works better for me. However, when I spoke with my DME this morning, I was told that she had never heard of the hybrid and that it must be made by a "non-major label company". I explained that it was made by innomed and she replied that was a company that they didn't typically order from, but that they could if they really, really had to. She then said that I should just keep trying to use the liberty because they are almost the same. I thought that was an odd response, given that I have learned on this board that minor differences in mask fit can make major differences in success for each person. Is this a typical response from a DME???

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 am

melissa1974 wrote:Hi-
I have been using the liberty for a week or so and having some success with it, but am interested in trying the hybrid, also, to see which works better for me. However, when I spoke with my DME this morning, I was told that she had never heard of the hybrid and that it must be made by a "non-major label company". I explained that it was made by innomed and she replied that was a company that they didn't typically order from, but that they could if they really, really had to. She then said that I should just keep trying to use the liberty because they are almost the same. I thought that was an odd response, given that I have learned on this board that minor differences in mask fit can make major differences in success for each person. Is this a typical response from a DME???
Unfortunately, yes.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

melissa1974

Post by melissa1974 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am

So, should I push for a chance to try to use the Hybrid, or keep going with the Liberty, since I did have a good night with it last night?

I know I could look on cpapauction.com for a hybrid and buy one for myself, but I am lucky in that I have good insurance and get replacement parts (cushions, nasal pillows, headgear, etc.) on a regular schedule through my DME, and they are 100% covered. So I want to make sure that they know which mask I am using, so that they send me the correct parts. If I buy myself a hybrid and love it, then I will have keep buying all of the parts.......right???

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:01 am

melissa1974 wrote:So, should I push for a chance to try to use the Hybrid, or keep going with the Liberty, since I did have a good night with it last night?

I know I could look on cpapauction.com for a hybrid and buy one for myself, but I am lucky in that I have good insurance and get replacement parts (cushions, nasal pillows, headgear, etc.) on a regular schedule through my DME, and they are 100% covered. So I want to make sure that they know which mask I am using, so that they send me the correct parts. If I buy myself a hybrid and love it, then I will have keep buying all of the parts.......right???
Unless you're under a time constraint re: switching masks, I'd keep using the Liberty. It takes time to adjust any mask properly, and it sounds like you're getting there now with the Liberty.

My recent experience with replacement supplies: When I began therapy, I had an M Series Plus machine. Last June, I bought the M Series APAP. I've been getting replacement supplies from the DME all along (hoses and filters). Both of those M Series machines use the same sized filters. I bought my BiPAP Auto SV last month (which is similar in appearance to the older Respironics "tank" style machines and takes a much larger filter than the M Series machines do). When I ordered my replacement filters this month, I asked for the ones that fit my new machine, and that's what they sent me (even though I bought the ASV out-of-pocket, and the DME has no record of me having it).

Re: replacement supplies for a mask you purchase on your own? I would call and ask your DME what their policy is. To be frank, I was (pleasantly) surprised that my DME didn't hassle me over the different filters for my new machine.

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 am

I was usiing the swift II nasal Pillows for two years and just recently switched to the Mirage Liberty as a Back up mask and the few Nights I used it ( Head strap Clip Broke ) I was amazed at the difference in the Therapy. With the Liberty I would awaken more rested ans slept better too. Due to the Breaking of the Head strap clip I had to go back to the Swift But I have a New Mirage Liberty on the way and when it arrives it will be my Primary mask. I have never used the Hybrid therefore I can't comment on it but I like the Mirage Liberty other than it being Cheaply Constructed but that seems to be the Norm with Most Masks these Days.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm

The fit between the 2 is quite different IMHO. The Hybrid is made by RespCare http://www.mergenetsolutions.com/hybrid/contact_us.htm seems they are owned by Mergenet Solutions...Innomed might have sold the Hybrid to them.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

dwsupt

Post by dwsupt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I have both. I started with the liberty and tried to use it for three months with some success but several leak issues. I ordered a Hybrid to try, but before it arrived, I had success with the Liberty and haven't switched. I have tried the Hybrid for fit and found it too had leak issues. I guess they all have to be tweaked to your specific issues and features.

rheumrn

Post by rheumrn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 am

I have been using the Liberty mask for over one week now with vastly improved leak rates (from 14 down to 1) and AHI (from 11 down to 2.9) compared to my initial mask (Quattro FF). I do have to tighten the bottom straps very tightly to prevent leaks from the bottom of my mouth and tape my lips. I have gotten used to the Liberty and will continue to use it. I did get a Hybrid mask after reading that some posters preferred it to the Liberty. I am waiting on the new improved Hybrid headgear to give it a test run.

Some posters have preferred the Hybrid because they thought the Liberty nasal pillows were "too stiff". I like them to be stiffer because I don't need any other fix (pantyhose, scrunchies, etc.) in order to keep the pillows in my nose. The Liberty (small mask with medium pillows) also fits my small face well. The distance between my nares and upper lip is just right with the Liberty, so I may not need the adaptability of the Hybrid which does have pillows which can be raised or lowered.

If the Liberty could get some improved upper strap clips which are more durable, that would help alot. I am very careful when I handle the mask to prevent problems with the upper clips.

melissa1974

Post by melissa1974 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 am

Rheumrn-
I am glad to hear that you are having success with the liberty! I am having some rough nights with it, after having some initial success. Last night, I had a lot of trouble with the nasal pillows popping out, and I am also having trouble with leaks around the mouth cushion. I do have one question for you, though.....I am wondering why you are taping your lips? It is my understanding that the entire point of the liberty (or the hybrid) is so that we can breath in and out via either our mouth OR nose. The leaks we are trying to stop are leaks air coming out of the mask, not out of our mouths. Is that not correct, or am I misunderstanding something? I would love any info you have, as I am really struggling to get my leak rate under control.

There is so much to learn and it seems every time I check this board, I feel like I learn more about how much I need to learn!!

Thanks!

Bob3000

Post by Bob3000 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I had both, couldn't stop the leaks. The hybrid has adjustable height pillows which is a nice feature. The hybrid also has a built in chinstrap which may be of benefit to you (personally, I found it insufficient and had to use a traditional chinstrap). They are both good masks if you can get a sturdy seal. I ended up going the pure nasal route and now I tape my mouth shut, throw on the Swift FX, and try my best to sleep.