New Z1 travel machine by Human design medical

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TangledHose

Re: New Z1 travel machine by Human design medical

Post by TangledHose » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Pesser wrote:
Sorry I got your name confused with ebill! Then it is the case that its realestate is twice its picture size. Is it fragile as well?
Actually I'd have to say the machines are quite robust, I've had both the original Z1 Cpap and now the Z1 Auto and both have been bulletproof. I carry the units on my motorcycle trips and I ride my bikes quite hard so the machines have been subjected to a lot of bumps, vibration, and G Forces <evil grin> and I've never had any trouble with any components being damaged or machine reliability issues.

Back in 2013 when they first came out I did hear a couple anecdotal reports of failures, but my own experience has been very good in terms of reliability with some relatively rough handling of the Z1 during transportation from point A to B

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue May 12, 2015 10:01 pm

TangledHose wrote:
Pesser wrote:
Sorry I got your name confused with ebill! Then it is the case that its realestate is twice its picture size. Is it fragile as well?
Actually I'd have to say the machines are quite robust, I've had both the original Z1 Cpap and now the Z1 Auto and both have been bulletproof. I carry the units on my motorcycle trips and I ride my bikes quite hard so the machines have been subjected to a lot of bumps, vibration, and G Forces <evil grin> and I've never had any trouble with any components being damaged or machine reliability issues.

Back in 2013 when they first came out I did hear a couple anecdotal reports of failures, but my own experience has been very good in terms of reliability with some relatively rough handling of the Z1 during transportation from point A to B
It is getting close to a certainty, considering all your research on this product, that this unit will become a winner. Let's hope they do this soon. Is there an good email address for them that we can use to voice our concerns to them? Thanks for all your work on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Well, there is a support area on their web site where individuals report issues and or suggestions for future functions.......hdmusa.com and go to support area.

Generally when I take the Z1 on my trips I am using the AC power cord which has a nice small converter brick on it that is about a third the size of a ResMed power brick. I do have the PowerShell for trips on long airplane flights if I want to use it on the airplane, but most of the time I am using the AC cord.

Either with the powershell and battery, or with the AC power cord it's still much, much smaller and lighter than carrying a standard machine, so it's still a size winner.

I have used the Auto Z1 enough that I feel that it's fine for me to breath on in terms of breathing comfort after the few breaths that it takes to adjust to your breathing, but my big complaint is the increased breathing noise that I, and some others have been struggling with. I check their web site almost daily and the second the noise muffler (Q-Tube) becomes available I will get one and see if that solves my issue with the noise........I am relatively confident that the muffler will do the trick bassed on what user Bill-e has reported after using the pre-production Q-Tube noise fix.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

olorinpc

Post by olorinpc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for the discussion here folks... interesting. Been using the System One for 5 years, and just ordered the Z1 auto... so good to see what to look out for. Be interested to hear more on that Q-Tube and how that works with the noise level.

Evanston

Post by Evanston » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Very disappointed and no return is possible. Way too noisy. Pressure relief doesn't make much of a difference so I felt like my nostrils were going to be blown right off my face. So sorry I spent money on this machine. I had such high hopes.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 am

@evanston; is the Z1 your first machine?
Your complaint sounds familiar.
This travel machine sacrifices quietness for compactness, and many notice
it is louder than their regular machine.
Decibel ratings are misleading unless you grasp the fact they are logarithmic,
meaning an increase of one is equivalent to ten times more sound energy.
Starting out on such a "raw" machine may be too much for a person with sensory issues.
This is why so many prefer the Resmed and Respironics machines.

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:37 pm

I just got a Z1 Auto for travel. I agree that it is quite noisy. I bought a Q Tube muffler for it and I believe it will help a lot. I tried it without the HME and my mouth felt like the Sahara desert after a few hours so I tried the HME. It worked well and I didn't have issues with humidity after that. I did have some big issues with Aerophagia. I've never had that with my M Series with A-Flex or my S9. I had an issue with my S9 for a short time when I lost a lot of weight. I'm still 25 lbs from my weight when I had the problems though. I am currently losing weight but no issue with my S9. I am going to shorten up the pressure differential to see if I can fix that. I set the pressure relief to 3 because it really does seem to push the air harder than my S9. My starting pressure on S9 was 6.6 but I needed a 5 on Z1 to not feel like I was going to be blown away. I just updated to IOS9 on my phone and Nitelog doesn't seem to work with it. The app shuts down every time I try and connect to the machine.

piratefilmco

Post by piratefilmco » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am

I purchased the HDM Z1 CPAP a few months ago. I am happy with it. I paid around $450 dollars for it. I did not get the HDM Z1 AutoPAP which was around $1000 not covered by my insurance (HDM is not in network). I did not get The PowerShell battery pack yet. But I intend to before real traveling. I did get the Qtube muffler with it which seemed large, about the size of a small banana, but has cut down on the noise. The noise level I have gotten used to, with the muffler, I think it actually adds some white noise at night like a box fan on low, and I have been sleeping MUCH better with this unit compared to my old one. I had a respironics M series CPAP, with humidifier which died, the replacement for the humidifier was as much as a new machine hence my purchase of this unit. I have used it with an HC150 humidifier and it worked well (approved for use by HDM). I now use it with a cold air humidifier in the room and that combination works better. I did not like the size, bulkiness or lack of features of the Respironics. I did a lot of research before buying this one. It has performed great compared to my Respironics. The air pressure seems to be more constant. The constant pressure helps as I have a large nose and have trouble finding a mask that fits properly. I am thinking of having my pressure rechecked as I have lost a LOT of weight and this machine performs so much better. Maybe I can have the pressure lowered helping with noise and what not. I have just downloaded the Android app and there is an iOS 9 app now but it appears to only work with the Auto version which has bluetooth, the standard does not have bluetooth. I really like the compactness of the unit but need to find a better travel bag for it. although it would fit great in an overhead bag or backpack very well. It's about the size of one shoe. The size of the unit initially concerned me as to its robustness, but it has stood up to holiday travel, moving and generally moving the unit around. I have dropped the unit several times by knocking it off the nightstand and while moving it, not recommended, but it hasn't damage the unit in any way. I have actually slept all the way through the night for almost a week at a time without waking at all. I have never done that prior to this machine. I do get the very dry mouth that people refer to but can remoisten it during the night with spit and it seems fine. Can't remember if I had that issue with the old one.

Now some features: it does not have an auto off that I have found. It does have a ramp feature. It has an internal battery that saves the time & date, not sure what else, not sure how long that lasts, but it lasted through shipping as it came with time & date set correctly.The plug placement concerns me as it is right above the hose attachment & feels not firm/robust. I bought the 30 Day Travel Pack which came with the Z1™ Custom Tube Adaptor you must use because of the hose size which is larger than the air attachment outlet. I didn't look into if there is was a smaller hose or attachment as I like the 6' one I use. I have not tried the Z1™ Heat/Moisture Exchanger (HME) as they claim they are single use and I want to use them for travel. Changing the filters is easy, but they offer a Z1™ Plastic Filter End Cap which leads me to believe the cap can break during changing. Looks like you may be able to make your own filters from proper material, if you follow the shape of the filter. The filter is large and takes some time to get dirty. I have not looked at my data yet but don't anticipate any issues and with update my post if there are any issues.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:29 pm

I wonder how many of these machines are being used full time.
It is good to hear positive experiences from a full time user, just in case it becomes necessary.
I purchased an Intellipap Autoadjust because many features are comparable to my then S9 Autoset,
but without the proprietary energy requirements.
I may have considered a Z1, but I don't believe it will plug directly into the car. (Am I wrong?)

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: I may have considered a Z1, but I don't believe it will plug directly into the car. (Am I wrong?)
Yep, you can buy a 12v adapter for the cig lighter. That's what I use when I bring it camping. My camper has two 12v deep cycle batteries for those times I'm off grid but mostly we have shore power available....but there is a 12v cig outlet on the wall by my side of the bed so I don't even bring the power brick with me.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:49 pm

TangledHose wrote:
Pesser wrote:
BryanMsi wrote: Wait a minute. Are you sure that you have to carry the battery and the unit seperately? I'm a Z1 user but ebill is. I hope he responds to this....very interesting!
Yes, he is correct. If the battery is left in the powershell it will drain rather quickly and there is a caution to that effect in the HDM literature for the battery and powershell.

The battery holds its charge fairly well when removed from the powershell as you would expect, but if left in the powershell a full battery can be drained within something like 48 hours.

From HDM Powershell Manual:

IMPORTANT: Remove the battery from the PowerShell when the Z1 is not in use, unless the power supply is plugged into the PowerShell to charge the battery. Otherwise the Z1 and PowerShell will drain the
battery completely in 2-3 days.
I know this is an old thread but to clear this up, yes, you should remove the battery but you really just have to "unclick" it from the connector. It can stay in the shell just not seated.