Dry throat waking me up at night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
terry123

Dry throat waking me up at night

Post by terry123 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am

I have a Resmed 10 for her that is almost 5 years old. It is the best machine I have ever had and I have had quite a few, but the last month or two, I wake up with my throat absolutely parched. My humidifier seems to be working as the water disappears and I have a heated hose. I have turned the humidity higher and lower and it is still the same. I am thinking of not using the Climateline and using a non heated slimline tubing as it is the same size as the Climateline to see if that would help. Any suggestions?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Dry throat waking me up at night

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 am

terry123 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am
I wake up with my throat absolutely parched
This sounds like you are doing more mouthbreathing. Have you noticed a change in nasal congestion? Congested nasal passages lead to more mouthbreathing.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 am

These work...
81+YQTBpz4L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 am

Changing to a slimline will likely not affect your dry throat.

The primary role of a heated hose is to prevent rainout.

Some potential causes of dry throat:
  • medications
  • not enough humidity
  • mouth breathing

terry123

Post by terry123 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am

I also tape my mouth, so don’t think it is mouth breathing is causing it. I am doing exactly what I have done for years., but this hasn’t been a problem in the past. I think the heat in the hose may be turned up too high but that change can’t be made by me. I used to know out to get to the changes but have forgotten how. My RT that could help me is on vacation.

ups4

Post by ups4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:49 am

terry123 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am
I think the heat in the hose may be turned up too high but that change can’t be made by me. I used to know out to get to the changes but have forgotten how. My RT that could help me is on vacation.
This might help.
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apne ... %E2%81%B0F).

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 am
These work...
81+YQTBpz4L._AC_UL320_.jpg
stealing that!

but i don't like the mild mint flavor.
:wink:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

grnthumb

Post by grnthumb » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi Terry, I have the same problem along with dry mouth. I use the Resmed p10 nasal pillows and I've been plagued with dry mouth and throat for several years. The summer isn't quite as bad as winter but I shut the heat and humidifier off in summer which seems to help. If you haven't tried that yet maybe give it a go and see if that helps you too. I don't care for the xylimelts either Good luck

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:19 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am
Sacrilege!

I just noticed they now have Xyligel. It seems to be cheaper and have a better ingredient list than GC Dry Mouth Gel.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:19 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am
Sacrilege!

I just noticed they now have Xyligel. It seems to be cheaper and have a better ingredient list than GC Dry Mouth Gel.
my problem with mouth gel is a good drink of water washes it away.

maybe xyligel don't do that?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 am

zonker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

It would seem any mouth gel would be washed out with even a small drink. I use GC Dry Mouth Gel, and it would certainly wash out. It doesn't go indeed until I am ready to put on my FFM. The FFM stays on until it's time to arise for the day.

I do use Xylimelts during the day - one in one cheek works well. At night, do you put in one total or one for each side of the cheeks?

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 am
zonker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

It would seem any mouth gel would be washed out with even a small drink. I use GC Dry Mouth Gel, and it would certainly wash out. It doesn't go indeed until I am ready to put on my FFM. The FFM stays on until it's time to arise for the day.

I do use Xylimelts during the day - one in one cheek works well. At night, do you put in one total or one for each side of the cheeks?
i started out with just one per night. but found i needed to do two as time went on.

i've never used them during the day.

actually, i don't know why it bugs me that a gel will wash out with a drink of water. since incorporating jay's scunci method, it's too much bother to take it off to get a drink of water.

maybe i should look to see if the gel (any brand) would be cheaper than the lozenges.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am
maybe i should look to see if the gel (any brand) would be cheaper than the lozenges.
I buy a years supply of GC Dry Mouth Gel for about $75. (Xyligel seems to be a bit cheaper.) How does $75 compare to Xylimelts?

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:18 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am
zonker wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am
I buy a years supply of GC Dry Mouth Gel for about $75. (Xyligel seems to be a bit cheaper.) How does $75 compare to Xylimelts?
oh, dear! now you're asking me to do math?

math is hhhhaaarrrdddd.

will have to check. i'm not even sure how much xylimelts cost.

will see.

eta: looks like, if i ordered strictly through amazon, would cost $73. not counting tax.

i'm just not organized enough to do that. i'm more of the panic at the last minute type and go to the drugstore. and i'm pretty sure i'm spending more than $73 per year.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

terry123 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am
I have a Resmed 10 for her that is almost 5 years old. It is the best machine I have ever had and I have had quite a few, but the last month or two, I wake up with my throat absolutely parched. My humidifier seems to be working as the water disappears and I have a heated hose. I have turned the humidity higher and lower and it is still the same. I am thinking of not using the Climateline and using a non heated slimline tubing as it is the same size as the Climateline to see if that would help. Any suggestions?
I have no answers about dry mouth except making sure you drink plenty of water during the day so you are not dehydrated. I also have problems with dry mouth, dry eyes, etc. My lips especially get try and I use a lip moisturizer several times at night. I have used a non-heated hose for the past 11 years. I am reluctantly switching to a heated hose soon. I was told by the DME today that the heated hose helps with humidification.

As a fellow user of the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her (I'm assuming that is what you have since there is only one A10 FOR HER), I would look into whether your insurance covers a new machine once yours is 5 years old. My A10 started giving a message that it had exceeded its normal motor life a few months before 5 years was up. Mine is covered by Medicare and my DME started processing the order for a new machine from my doctor after five years was up. It took almost 2 months past the 5-year mark but I just got my 2nd A10 for Her today. I will be keeping my first A10 as a backup machine in a "GO BAG" for emergencies, of which I have had a few recently. If you ever have to go to a hospital and may get admitted, take a CPAP machine you like with you. I got stuck in a hospital stay for 5 days without my own CPAP machine in October. The respiratory therapists were happy to outfit me with a CPAP machine but made up the settings "THEY LIKED," not the ones that worked for me. Last time I got stuck in the hospital for another 5 days after an ER visit, I had my A10 in the car, just in case, and life was a lot better than in the previous hospital stay.

I can't sleep without my A10, so the A10 goes with me anywhere I go overnight, emergency or not.

If you switch to a non-heated hose, I will be interested in your observations about the differences you notice.

Maryland CPAPer2
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.