Nose issues with mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Clizby

Nose issues with mask

Post by Clizby » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Hey all. I've had my machine for a couple of years I think. The first mask I tried just tore up the bridge of my nose so I finally switched to another. The one I switched to is usually fine. The main issue I have is that I seem to be in a cycle of my nose breaking out. I'll get a pimple right where the the mask sits on the bridge of my nose. Of course it just gets irritated because i put the mask there so it takes forever to go away and hurts in the meantime. In addition, I find myself getting pimples on the end of my nose and on the septum...ouch. Like I said, seems to be a cycle, but doesn't seem to be getting better. I am trying to be a lot more cognizant of washing my face good before bed, etc, but was wondering if any of you could offer advice. Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Nose issues with mask

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't know what mask you are using but maybe a mask liner?

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am

Washing and keeping the pores free from excess oil is a good thing. Also, use a cleanser that leaves as little residue as possible. For example, I wouldn't suggest using a cleansing cream with moisturizers, which are made to leave a coating on the skin. You do clean the mask parts that contact your skin daily right? Hope this helps.

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 pm

gasp wrote:Washing and keeping the pores free from excess oil is a good thing. Also, use a cleanser that leaves as little residue as possible. For example, I wouldn't suggest using a cleansing cream with moisturizers, which are made to leave a coating on the skin. You do clean the mask parts that contact your skin daily right? Hope this helps.
I do indeed clean the mask - I'm quite religious about it actually. I believe that the soap I use is like "liquid baby soap" which I think is what I was told from the beginning. I have not always been as good as I should at washing my face prior to going to bed, but have been better lately. I am intrigued by the mask liner that Pugsy listed. I do find that even though my nose isn't always broken out, the bridge of my nose is almost constantly red, which isn't normal...I know a couple of other people who use CPAP machines and their faces don't always look like that. Maybe I'm just sensitive and it is a "pressure" issue. The main thing with the Maskliner I would worry about would be leaks I guess. I think that the mask I use is the Quattro - it may be an older version of it though because the pictures I'm finding online look a bit different. I'm probably actually about due for a new mask.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 am

Mask liners are one of many possible solutions to mask leakage

tooter

Post by tooter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 am

The original Quattro has not changed, but there is another model with Quattro in the name...Quattro FX, . I have used the original for 8 years and love it. Over the past few years I have tried the newer version and have always gone back to the original. It's possible that you need a mask replacement or a new mask cushion. Here are some tips that may help you.

https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/tamin ... e-quattro/
Fixed pressure at 11

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 am

Ive experienced that a new mask cushion is at it's most resiliency, meaning it provides the most cushion and doesnt flatten as easily when new. When masks get old, I've had to over-tighten them to get a good seal.

And, the pressure point on your nose, could be from the mask being too tight. Are you over tightening your mask?

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you for the help everyone. I'm kind of starting to think that maybe my mask is part of the issue. I don't know for certain how old it is, but I've had it awhile. I replaced it once, but I do know they do wear out. I think I've tightened my straps before as the mask seems to loosen up...but it sounds like that may be counter intuitive to the cushion working right.

With that being said, I think I may move forward on getting a replacement. I still have my concerns about my nose breaking out, but hopefully I can eliminate the possibilities.

How often should headgear be replaced, by the way? Mine is original to the unit, so I'm guessing that can get stretched out pretty bad as well.

Also, I really appreciate the link about fitting the quattro. I guess if getting a new mask doesn't work, I may look into the liner as an option.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 pm

I replace about every 3 months.

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:23 pm

gasp wrote:I replace about every 3 months.
Wow...I don't know if my insurance pays that often or not. I need to check. Guess it makes sense to replace it as soon as you can.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Clizby wrote:Guess it makes sense to replace it as soon as you can.
not at all.

replace things when they wear out, not "just because I can" on some arbitrary schedule.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm

I took you saying "as soon as you can" to mean when it makes sense monetarily, when insurance will replace, or as soon as you can after one sees the mask isn't performing like new.

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 pm

palerider wrote:
not at all.

replace things when they wear out, not "just because I can" on some arbitrary schedule.
What I mean is, I'm guessing that my insurance has it set up where they will pay for it after x days. So I'm saying I shouldn't by shy to replace at that point. Some parts to me are easy to tell when they need replaced, like a hose for example. It seems like masks are a little more subjective, though.

By the way, it turns out that the mask I have is Quattro Air.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I replace my mask cushion when I can no longer get a good seal when sleeping. The same idea applies to the head piece. When it stretches out to the point I cannot adjust it tight enough to get a good seal, I change it. My insurance allows a new cushion every month and a new mask every three months, but I do not get them that often. I can normally get at least 3 months on a cushion and 6 months on a head piece. If the head piece were smaller, I could probably make it last longer. I have a relatively small head, and the end of the strap goes past the back edge of the head piece.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Clizby wrote:
palerider wrote:
not at all.

What I mean is, I'm guessing that my insurance has it set up where they will pay for it after x days. So I'm saying I shouldn't by shy to replace at that point. Some parts to me are easy to tell when they need replaced, like a hose for example. It seems like masks are a little more subjective, though.

By the way, it turns out that the mask I have is Quattro Air.
if you don't tear up the hoses and mask cushions by scrubbing the heck out of 'em, they'll last for a very long time, I used my first mask cushion for four years, washing it weekly and wiping the cushion nightly with hand sanitizer. I had a spare, but why waste things?

I've never had a hose develop a leak, though my hose did get so it didn't want to hold onto the mask, I just wrapped some string tightly around the end... that worked for a couple more years till i decided I wanted a longer hose. that was probably three years ago.

remember, those "schedules' are set up by people that want to sell you something.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.