Is APAP really the best way to go

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm

Guest,

:twis ted:

Last edited by chrisp on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:06 am

chrisp wrote:Guest,

The unit DSM is referring top is the GK420E. However. It should also be said that this unit has more user determined settings than the other autos. The problem that DSM describes , runaway pressure , can be fixed by switching off FL1. No more runaway pressure. So what DSM believes is a flaw I believe is an advantage. I can customize the treatment to compensate for my restricted airway. A drop of water in the pressure sensor tube can also cause runaways .

Just thought you'd like to see the other side of the coin.
Sorry but I have never posted any such comment re the PB420E - Chris, that was a bit presumptuous claiming that this was the machine I have been referring to. Perhaps you have not been following all the threads.

You have now attributed to me comments I have never made and an opinion I don't hold about a very good AUTO. When RG referred to what I was saying she quoted me directly and provided links.

I can understand the error if you have been away & just come back in the middle of the discussions.

Cheers

DSM

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:44 am

Chris,

One point you raised that is interesting (I found out very quickly) is that not only a drop of water in the pressure sensor tube will send the machine to max pressure, if the pressure tube at the xPAP end tugs off (such as when the other part of this tube is going into a HC150 h/h then same result.

30 cms up one's snout can be a daunting experience. Brings to mind what it must be like to be the 'Michelin man'

I did a lot of experimenting with my PB330 before starting to use it (a whole week of different tests) - I mentioned to someone that this machine was like a wild bucking bronco that needed to be tamed. So after a week of testing and for the 1st few days of use I only used I/E mode and then at about day 5 I was game enough to try A/C mode.

I now regard this PB as a godsend to me and what I needed all along for my xPAP treatment. If the PB425 & PB420e are any thing like the PB330 in sophistication (which I think they probably are) then PB are on a winning streak.

I am still amazed at the fan in a PB420S - one incredible bit of innovative engineering.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:15 pm

rested gal wrote:I'd suggest that in addition to reading dsm's personal impressions in that thread, you take note of the posts by ozij, neversleeps, and especially those of a Guest whose posts begin with these words:

Page 6 -
"The seemingly different data reported by both machines is likely accurate in both cases."[
Thanks rested gal. I got worried when I read what dms wrote "one brand of AUTO appeared to give far more accurate feedback than another." Its a relief to know it was just her personal impression and not equipment failure or actual inaccurate numbers.

I plan on getting the Remstar auto with cflex based on all I have been reading. I can't wait to get going on this thing. You have been so helpful. Thank you for your clearing this up with the facts and putting my mind at ease.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:27 pm

Sorry DSM, Many have reported runaway pressure with the 420e. I have had them myself. It wasn't until the guru of cpap whose name escapes me right now that the purpose of FL1 was revealed. I simply and mistakenly believed that you were referring to the 420E. Please accept my apology for mistakenly connecting you to this fact.
Otherwise the info is correct.

Cheers,

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:58 am

Chris,

No worries mate (fav expression among Aussies )

There are at least 2 machines that I have heard of now that can have runaways (you reminded me of the 2nd). I have experienced one once.

One reason I always recommend to people with AUTOs is to go no more than 2 cms above their titration as a runaway will (if it occurs) give them the reason

On the PB330 I have as mentioned, it can peak at 40cms (the fan is sooo tiny). I did a test where I tugged the pressure sensor off the unit & wham it took off - the mask was like a hovercraft on my face

Cheers

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

gailzee

APAP vs. CPAP

Post by gailzee » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 pm

Had straight CPAP at the titration study. Blew my sinuses out.
Insisted (rather demanded--based on what I learned here on this brd) and held out for my apap. Dr. could've cared less, and my phantom ghost DME lady, knew dit-squat on how my 420E worked, actually reading the manual to me.
Forget them. Ask cpap. for any questions you have, they know everything, and are very very good to deal with, this board is very informative.

For those who don't mind straight CPAP great, for those of us who'd rather have a apap range, (and using less pressure when ''not'' needed ) I'd not go back to straight cpap for any reason.

The reason dr's don't know is that they just don't know, they push ole cpap's, and bottom line is, they don't want to admit that their patients know and have been doing their homework, more than their experiences.

Good Luck........do what feels comfortable for YOU, and bottom line, whatever keeps you compliant to help yourself be healthy is the one to use.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:55 pm

SWS is the expert GURU I was referring to .

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Just in case any new memeber want to search for the expert's posts: his official name is -SWS the minus being an itegral part of the name.

And a complation of his posts can be found in the CPAP FAQ - red button above the board.

O.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Rested Gal posted a good summary above.

Most machines will work with most people.

The two issues for a minority of people are both under-responding and runaway (over responding).

Some of the runaway can be caused by water in a pressure sensor tube. Some runaway is caused by untreated asthma or other issues.

However, back to the original question of the post which related to the need for an APAP. Personally I think the information they provide - especially about mask leakage - is invaluable (are their now non APAPs that provide that info - it was under discussion several years ago). The other data is often very usefull.

However, the fact is that most OSA patients do in fact get reasonably good treatment from ordinary CPAP. Especially those whose needed pressures are under 10 Cm H2O.

As the pressures go up - the benefits of APAPS also goes up. Issues like mask fit, aerophagia, back pain, etc can appear or get much worse at the higher pressures.

Perry

16-20 APAP

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, APAP