What's your pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:02 pm

Heres where the sleep techs stance differs from that of the pt. My #1 goal is an ahi of 0. Not 1.3 or 3.2 or 5.7 but 0
Sleeper2, I agree than using an APAP to set lower pressures, and to react to events means that - almost by definition - a consistant AHI of zero will be unachievable on APAP.

I appreciate your answer, and do believe you care for your patients. Those of us using cpap machines have to live with them every night, compliance and comfort are a major issue under those conditions. A "better job in ultimate titration" in a users terminology means that she gets up in the morning feeling good - and is energetic during the day. Some of us have discovered that for them anything below 3 is fine, above it not so good. We have also had users report using much lower pressures than prescribed, because the mask leaks at the higher pressure woke them up, and they sleep better when the pressure is lower.

It is your - understandable - technical orientation that we take issue with. Sleep is not a technical experience. Perhaps you were taught to aim for 0 events and I believe you that you are good at it. The ahi is easy to use. However, it has been questioned if it is the right measure.THE APNEA-HYPOPNEA INDEX: USEFUL OR USELESS?

After your patient has been sent home on straight pressure, with 0 eventss, the question is still there: Have you - has your clinic ever checked compliance in your patients? Do you have any idea what, in your clinic, distiguishes compliant from non-compliat patients.

When checked objectively, CPAP treatment has notorious compliance results. There is recearch that shows how a little bit more involvment on the professionals' side would make a big difference in compliance. Few of us have recieved that support. It costs too much, it is not easy to measure, though its cost effectiveness in the long run is obvious, since properly treated OSA reduces the expense per patient.

Until recently, with most straight PAP machines, you couldn't even collect valid data on people's compliance - you had to trust self report. This objective data has recently been collected, by data collecting APAPs set to work as CPAPs, and the results show that compliance is higher when the machines are set to work as APAPs. Apparently the price of those occasional events is well worth paying.

Please stay with us - give us your perspective, teach us what you can, and try to understand ours: We have been deprived of natural recuperating sleep. We hook up to those machines in order to sleep well. We spend many many hours, night after night with that equipment. We know quite a lot about what it does to the way we feel. Many of us are frustrated at doctors and technicians who don't take the time to listen to what we tell them. It would be great to have a dialogue with one who listens.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

yawn

Post by yawn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:20 pm

I saw my DME yesterday and we discussed my 1st sleep study and then my 2nd (titration) study. My AHI was 5.5 which she said is very mild and that I should investigate other avenues for treating my OSA. She seemed to be implying that a CPAP was "overkill" in my case. Now I've been reading these posts and am wondering if she's crazy. I would love to have an AHI of 0....I think we all would but now I'm wondering if just being under 5 is good enough. I certainly don't feel well rested yet. I also asked her about an APAP but she didn't think it was necessary in my case.

Somebody mentioned RLS (restless leg syndrome I presume)..I've been meaning to ask about this. In my 1st study, I was recorded as having 145 leg movements and the Dr. recommended taking medicine for this IF I didn't feel well rested with the CPAP. I really don't want to take any more medication...I take enough already. So, does anybody else out there move their legs too much. Are you taking medication for it? Also, any opinions out there on whether I should be doing CPAP with an AHI of 5.5.
Thanks! Amy

fstanmyre

Post by fstanmyre » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:37 pm

Yeah, my sleep lab got the titration spot on, apap 5 to 18, $1700. Goodby, and thank you very much. You're missing the point doc.

Fred Stanmyre

th

Post by th » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:38 pm

my pressure is 9 my wifes(lh) pressure is 9.......we were made for each other
th

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:19 pm

My perscribed setting is 10 cm with cflex set at 3 and ramp set from 4 to 10 over 30 minutes. A few nights ago I was so tired I just put on the mask and took a few breaths and poof it started blowing at 10 I sucked in the air and was soon asleep without the ramp feature. Haven't used it sence and am not struggling at all.

I find that I am having some good nights and some not-so-good nights. Some days I feel rested and some I don't. My feeling is that if I had software that gave me more than compliance information I could adjust my settings and improve my over-all treatment without having to spend more money. To me that seems more reasonable than having to pay $2000 for another sleep study. Now the problem is getting my insurance company to agree with me.

By the way I have never met my sleep doctor only the tech who pasted those lil sensors all over me and he wouldn't tell me anything. I have no idea what the results of my studies were except that I have Moderately Sever OSA. The DME set me up with what I feel is an out dated and inferior machine and I haven't heard from them at all for almost 2 months.

Many of us here are willing and interested enough to seek the information and learn. We are not being kept informed and want very much to be proactive with our treatment. Perhaps we are a somewhat rare bunch.

zart

Post by zart » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:21 pm

Oh Grrrrrr...

I swear I was logged on...

The last post was mine.

zarty
Everything that I have ever done is a pale imitation of what I had in mind...

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:12 pm

<<<Apparently the price of those occasional events is well worth paying.>>>

Just a guess here, have not got my apap yet...
It may be, the occasional event is not an event at all when measured by the auto machine. Suppose you wake up take a deep breath and hold it while you stretch, i do it all the time, the machine would think I had an event.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:35 pm

Yawn, your RLS can certainly cause your feeling of not being well rested, and you should have it treated. It could be a greater cause of your fatigue than your sleep disturbed breathing. 145, even for 8 hours of sleep, is a lot.

As for having a low AHI during the original study (I presume that's what you're talking about)
My AHI was low on the first night as well, and the doctor wondered if alternatives weren't better. However, I knew how many times I woke up gasping, snoring, with my heart pounding. Woke up in the morning with headaches, a stuffed nose and a dry mouth - and just yesterday it dawned on me that about 3 years ago my GP commented on how red my palate-uvula area was - another indication of the irritation cause by snoring. One night's measured AHI in a sleep lab, especially when low, does not necessarily indicate the true level of OSA (see also Mild to Moderate Sleep Respiratory Events*
One Negative Night May Not Be Enough

As for the apap being overkill: until you've tried it, and followed your pressure level for about a month, you can't tell. If your pressure need is stable, go for a straight PAP with software Iike a PB 420S or a Respironics Remstar Pro 2 with Cflex, both of which give you full reporting capabilities, and no self adustment. There might be others like that, I don't know them. If your pressure needs vary, go for an auto. As I told my RT - my multifocals give different correction depending on the position of my eyeball, and I want my PAP machine to do the same.

Your DME isn't crazy. I have doubts about her knowledge. She is also not an objective source: APAPs are more expensive than CPAPs, but the DME's reimbursment for them is just as though they were CPAPs - which is unfair to them and to their clients, and makes their advice suspect - even if they're not "evil". She'ld loose money of you got an APAP.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

gailzee

Re: What's your pressure?

Post by gailzee » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:47 pm

7-14 on apap only.Average a few ''10'''s or ''11's" but seem to hunker around 8-9 for most of night. My thought is why get higher pressure for a straight ole cpap, when you may actually need LESS?

I know I am setting the cpap's screaming, and the apap's smilin'...I would only ever stay on apap. I was titrated at straight 12, and I think I've only hit a 12 maybe a couple of times since JANAUARY! apap will give you want you need when you need it....

try what is best for YOU...

Good Luck!
sunshine2 wrote:I'm still very new to all of this so I apologize if this has already been asked. I'm very curious to know what pressure your machines are set at? I was determined to need a pressure of 9 and I was wondering if this was considered a "normal" level or maybe a "high" level. All I know about the pressure is that you need to find out what pressure will keep your airway open. Does anybody know what the minimum and maximum pressures are?
Thanks

taijimon

Post by taijimon » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:52 am

Bipap w/Biflex, ramping at 12-20cm, insp 20cm, exhp 18cm. Saving up for the reader and software. Feeling better than I have in many of years.

Endeavor to persevere in the Balance of Life...

GoodKnight

Post by GoodKnight » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Wow, from such a simple question this turned out to be a most interesting thread with a lot of wonderful information!

bpoe689

what's your pressure?

Post by bpoe689 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Hi all,

My pressure on cpap is 15 - my rt has never heard of autopap I told her about this forum thinking maybe she might learn something from all the wonderful "experts" here, but I don't think she has ever logged on. That is her loss.

I will say that the first 3 months on cpap were awful, but I stuck with it and now do not want to go to bed without it. Also, my usual bedtime was 2 or 3 am, now I am usually in bed by 11 or 12. Usually I removed the hose a couple of hours before I get up, but that is only a habit which I need to stop.

I am recovering from gastric by-pass surgery. Had the surgery on June 28, but complications with my spleen caused the doctor to have to do major surgery, so I am taking a lot longer to heal with the "hugh" incision in my abdomen. The cpap was with me at the hospital, although I was on straight oxygen for most of the time. The 15 pressure was a little hard on me, so I ramped a lot at first until pair meds kicked in. Hopefully, I will be able to cut the pressure after losing weight (already lost 32 lbs. ).

Enough about me, good luck to all on apap, guess I will stick with my cpap while it still works.

Becky

I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.