Silverlining and snoring

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bigheadr

Silverlining and snoring

Post by bigheadr » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:50 pm

Got my Silverlining software today from cpap.com. Tried it out for the last week that I had my 420S. Got 1.5/hr for apnea index and 4.3 for Hypopneas index and 6.3 hr for Acoustical Vibration index. I assume that the last index is the amount of snoring that I am still doing with my CPAP treatment. The apnea looks much better than before (my sleep study said that my AHI was 43/hr) but according to my sleep study, I didn't have any Hypopneas so I don't know why I would have them now. Also, I thought that my snoring would improve with CPAP. Does everyone still have snoring now with CPAP or APAP? Saw the info on the 420E and it says that it reacts to snoring. What does it do for snoring? I notice that there are alot of you who have the 420E and still talk about taping their mouth or putting mouth closing devices. Does the APAP minimizes the snoring?

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:22 am

Acoustical vibrations are snores - if you look at the "details" screen you'll see the 420E raising the pressure when you snore.

My snore index on the 420E is nonexitant (0.1).

Don't worry about differnces from the sleep study - I have night with (relatively) many hypopneas, and nights with very few - my pressure needs are also very variable....

I did notice that when I raised the lower pressure I had less hypopneas - which made me wonder if some of the hypops aren't "half baked" apneas, where the pressure manages to splint the airways open, but not enough...

Taping you mouth is necessary for those of us whose mouth drops open as we relax. With you mouth open, the treatment air whooshes out into your bedroom, instead of doing it's job on the way to your lungs..

What's your bottom pressure right now?
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bigheadr

Post by bigheadr » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:53 am

I don't have the 420E but the 420S. My constant pressure is 7. I only have a ramp starting 4 for 15 minutes. I want to get the sleep nurse practioner to prescribe an APAP to see if this would relieve my snoring. Did you snore before you started using the 420E?

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:00 am

Did you snore before you started using the 420E?
I snored something terrible before I got a 420E. Now, my partner tells me that I snore 1.5 times, the machine kicks in and that is it for the snoring.

I think that any auto machine should be capable of responding in this manner to snoring.

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

gailzee

Re: Silverlining and snoring

Post by gailzee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:12 pm

Machine can't actually ''do'' anything about snoring, the program only registers your snoring activity or any sound activity. I use a chin strap so my snoring must be kind of muffled or sputtering, but it does register my ''noises'' whatever they are. I think and am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure people can snore without having sleep apnea troubles. Like allergies, what not, cold, flu's, bugs, whatever....?

Good that you had no hypop's. I am the opposite, I have more of the pop's than ap's. I usually average about around 10 episodes for the entire night, (about 6 - 6 1/2 hours). Beats the titration study over 144 something. So the treatment works! I keep at it no matter what!!

I don't tape my mouth shut, it's just too far over the edge for me. I have enuf discomfort till I fall asleep and I don't even like chin strap but use it anyway. It feels stifling to me. So tape and I, just won't go. Or I should say, I won't do it. That's just my opinion.

Isn't the Silverlining great, and you can monitor yourself daily? Do you? I do? I recently went over the 200 episodes and it went right back and started at #1 again.

When I started in Jan. I thought I'd never ever ''fill up the machine'' but time sure does go fast.

Good Luck
quote="bigheadr"]Got my Silverlining software today from cpap.com. Tried it out for the last week that I had my 420S. Got 1.5/hr for apnea index and 4.3 for Hypopneas index and 6.3 hr for Acoustical Vibration index. I assume that the last index is the amount of snoring that I am still doing with my CPAP treatment. The apnea looks much better than before (my sleep study said that my AHI was 43/hr) but according to my sleep study, I didn't have any Hypopneas so I don't know why I would have them now. Also, I thought that my snoring would improve with CPAP. Does everyone still have snoring now with CPAP or APAP? Saw the info on the 420E and it says that it reacts to snoring. What does it do for snoring? I notice that there are alot of you who have the 420E and still talk about taping their mouth or putting mouth closing devices. Does the APAP minimizes the snoring?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): 420S, 420E, cpap.com, CPAP, AHI, APAP[/quote]

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:45 pm

gailzee wrote:
Machine can't actually ''do'' anything about snoring, the program only registers your snoring activity or any sound activity.
What are you talking about? Of course the machine can do something about the snoring. When I start to snore, the machine increases the pressure accordingly. The increased pressure firms up the airway and the snoring stops.

I used to snore like a train. Now, I snore once or twice, the machine responds by increasing pressure and the snoring stops. Over the last few weeks I have been experimenting with reducing the lower pressure. My number of acoustical vibrations (snores) have increased in accordance with the overall lower baseline pressure. However, the number of pressure changes over the course of the night have increased as the machine deals with the snores.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:30 am

Accordng to page 13 in the manual (digital version, revision D) there are three kinds of events in response to which the 420E will increase pressure automatically:
Apneas
Acoustical Vibrations (i.e. snores)
Flow limitations

If you look at the details screen you will see the acoustical vibration ticks accompanied by pressure raises.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

gailzee

Hey Will Succed~

Post by gailzee » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:04 pm

One's tendency to snore, snort, will always be with us, but of course our cpaps, apaps, kick in and HELP US..........I wouldn't have posted my msg. if I thought I was saying incorrect informati

WillSucceed wrote:gailzee wrote:
Machine can't actually ''do'' anything about snoring, the program only registers your snoring activity or any sound activity.
What are you talking about? Of course the machine can do something about the snoring. When I start to snore, the machine increases the pressure accordingly. The increased pressure firms up the airway and the snoring stops.

I used to snore like a train. Now, I snore once or twice, the machine responds by increasing pressure and the snoring stops. Over the last few weeks I have been experimenting with reducing the lower pressure. My number of acoustical vibrations (snores) have increased in accordance with the overall lower baseline pressure. However, the number of pressure changes over the course of the night have increased as the machine deals with the snores.