Anyone know anything about CPAP Helmets?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
B3Bear

Anyone know anything about CPAP Helmets?

Post by B3Bear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 am

I was diagnosed with severe OSA six months ago and I've been struggling with CPAP masks ever since. I've tried every solution I can find, and I just ordered my 11th mask. The first problem is I can't get a mask to seal good. Thought I had it with the quattro but when I read my card it showed large leaks. The other problem is I wake up after 2 hours (when the Ambian starts to wear off) and rip the mask off. So I started thinking I wish I could just pressurize the whole damn room, or sleep in a pressurized "bubble". Or at least have my whole head in a bubble like an old diving helmet or something. Having had a particular groggy day today I went I Google and was surprised to find this:

Since I sleep on my side this probably wouldn't work so great with that hose sticking out the side, but the concept is interesting. Has anyone seen or used anything like this before? More info is here:

http://harol.it/index_body.php?keyType= ... pg&action=

TerryB

Re: Anyone know anything about CPAP Helmets?

Post by TerryB » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:53 am

Interesting approach, which I have thought about several times, but have never tried out.
The problem it would seem is under loss of fan, you are so loosely coupled to the mask that your air quality would go down without you realizing it was happening.
It looks to me like these are intended for attended (hospital) operations.

Good Luck,
TerryB

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:00 am

I can't imagine sleeping with that thing on my head.

rosie

DocWeezy

Post by DocWeezy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 am

Wow....and I thought the mask made triggered my claustrophobia! This is the stuff of nightmares for someone like me....

Weezy

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:48 am

Good luck finding a comfortable pillow to use with that helmet?
I'm workin' on it.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:53 am

I think that would certainly be the mask of last resort! I can't imagine sleeping with a valve on each side, plus straps under the arms. I never did find the price...
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:55 am

Oh please!

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

B3Bear wrote:I was diagnosed with severe OSA six months ago and I've been struggling with CPAP masks ever since. I've tried every solution I can find, and I just ordered my 11th mask.
Could I suggest completing the equipment profile and also given us a brief rundown on the various types of masks you've tried? I went through 5 masks in 3 months before finding the right one so I can certainly sympathize with your plight!

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Looks like one advantage to it is you could sleep under water as long as your machine was on the side of the pool.

Being a bit more serious, the Quattro worked for you but leaked. I may spend more time trying to get the leak down. There are several products that can help. If you have gone through 11 masks and found that one comfortable except for the leaks that would be my approach.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

roster

Post by roster » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:48 pm

B3Bear wrote:I was diagnosed with severe OSA six months ago and I've been struggling with CPAP masks ever since.

That device is not used for treating obstructive sleep apnea and would not be effective for treating
obstructive sleep apnea.

It is for treatment of for treatment of respiratory failure due to:
- Cardiogenic pulmonary edema
- Non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema (A.L.I. - ARDS)
- Thoracic trauma
- Atelectasis
- Post-operative hypoaxemia
- ASTHMA
- COPD exacerbation
- Pre- and post-extubation respiratory support

Last edited by roster on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Sheesh, where's the rest of the space suit????

If we have to resort to sleeping like that . . .

B3, perhaps we can help if you can give us a rundown of the masks you tried and why they didn't work. I agree with STL--if the Quattro was working with you except for leaking, it might be good to "go back" to basics and try to get the leaking under control. I used to hate that mask with a passion, but I've figured out how to sleep comfortably in it and may be able to help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:13 pm

I use the ignore everything approach when going to sleep. That would be hard for even me to ignore.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

B3Bear

Post by B3Bear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm

roster wrote: That device is not used for treating obstructive sleep apnea and would not be effective for treating
obstructive sleep apnea.
I see. I wonder why not? Granted that thing would suck but with a little tweaking a future design might actually be better then having a mask strapped to your face so tight it takes two hours for the red marks to go away. For instance, if the hose and valves were relocated to the top, and there was a built in soft pillow on the inside, on the back and sides, and perhaps if the neck seal was designed in a way so it would stay put without having to strap it under your armpits, then it might be ok. Might. You'd look pretty scary, but with your eyes closed, it might be like having nothing on. But if it won't work for OSA then it's a moot issue. Who knows, it may be a starting point for future designs. Ya, it seems kinda ridiculous and scary looking but so is my Respironics Total Face Mask which I might add leaked like crazy and was totally useless.

I updated my profile with my equipment and the masks I've used. I'm a mouth breather and I've got facial hair, either a goatee or beard. The only mask I was able to keep a good seal is the Oracle oral mask. But it dries out my mouth so bad even with the humidifier on max, plus you have to close off your nose which is hard to do and annoying and makes you feel like you have the flu. So I got the Headrest Nasal pillows and used a garden hose splitter to split the hose so I could use both the pillows and the oral mask. That seemed to work really good, except I can't keep it on for more then a couple hours. It feels like your sleeping with a ball gag in your mouth and tootsie rolls up your nose.

Interestingly, I was gonna take a break from the CPAP and Ambian last night, but at the last minute I felt the urge to give the Quattro another go. For some reason it seemed to fit better. I didn't even adjust the straps at all. I have lost about 20 pounds and my facial hair is different, so that could be why. I also used a smaller pillow that was less in the way. It took 2 hours and 30mg of Ambian but I fell asleep and slept for 5 hours with the mask on and only woke up because of noisy neighbors. The data showed I only had a large leak for like 2 min, and my AHI was 3.5. I'm still tired today because I only got 5 hours but at least there's hope for me.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:37 pm

B3Bear wrote:
roster wrote: That device is not used for treating obstructive sleep apnea and would not be effective for treating
obstructive sleep apnea.
I see. I wonder why not?

In simple terms, take an open balloon and place it in a bottle. Blow as hard as you can on the mouth of the bottle. Can you inflate the balloon like this? No.

Now, take an open balloon and blow into the opening of the balloon. The balloon will start to inflate.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

B3Bear

Post by B3Bear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Sorry to doubt you, but where exactly are you getting your information? I mean it is called a CPAP Helmet, so I can only assume that it delivers continuous positive airway pressure, which you seem to be implying it doesn't?