Plasma Blade Surgery for a "Face Lift" of the Throat

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Re: Plasma Blade Surgery for a "Face Lift" of the Throat

Post by roster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Mac33 wrote:
Why the whole family? They have SBD too? I'll let you know how it goes...........
I am of the opinion that more than half of our population has SDB at a level of severity requiring treatment or will develop it as they age.

I bet there are many more of your relatives and friends that have SDB than you ever imagined.

Last edited by roster on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 am

What about a lateral pharyngoplasty (aka modified pharyngoplasty) ala Dr. Kasey Li for tightening/lifting the soft palate?
Last edited by SleepingUgly on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:59 am

roster wrote:
sypark wrote: A good surgeon should make every attempt to make sure that you gave CPAP or oral appliances a thorough try, even to the point of avoiding surgery altogether. However, some people will have no choice but to consider surgery, and the good sleep apnea surgeon should be able to tell you with reasonable confidence whether a UPPP alone is sufficient, or you need additional nasal or tongue base procedures (which most people do). This is a long discussion in itself.
Is there a point at which a tracheostomy should be considered?
Yes.... but that is usually not done except when the sleep apnea is considered very severe.
¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

daveo223

Post by daveo223 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Upon further investigation the device used on the show is the PlasmaBlade, which has been around for a year or so. Website looks clinically sound and relevant. There are a bunch of different ways to use plasma, this looks like a more precise delivery method.

knittinsis

Post by knittinsis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:10 pm

After watching the video of the throat "Face Lift" from the Doctor's TV show, I am convinced that Dr. Weeks is on to something. I have used a C-Pap machine for over 10 years and it's not fun. Sometimes even when I sit in a chair and start to drift off to sleep, I can feel a mound of flesh "drop" from somewhere and close my throat. It's very frightening....and it cuts off the oxygen!! If I thrust my jaw forward, not only does my throat open up, but my nasal passages clear as well. It would seem to me that repositioning is the key to the success of this surgery. I'll be looking for more info in the future.

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Sometimes even when I sit in a chair and start to drift off to sleep, I can feel a mound of flesh "drop" from somewhere and close my throat.
From what I read in the forum that is the definition of the obstructive type of sleep apnea.

When you fall alseep, the muscles in the tongue and the soft palate relax and fall back into the airway blocking it.
If I thrust my jaw forward, not only does my throat open up, but my nasal passages clear as well. It would seem to me that repositioning is the key to the success of this surgery.
Now you are talking about a different type of surgery from what is discussed in this thread. What you are talking about, they break the jaw bone and insert metal extenders to move it forward. A very difficult surgery with very long recovery. I forget the name of this surgery.