BIG UPDATE: NEW RESPIRONICS PR Series Auto CPAP Released!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

Re: BIG UPDATE: NEW RESPIRONICS PR Series Auto CPAP Released!

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 pm

6PtStar wrote:You know but I sure am getting tired of everything being blamed on the FDA. I can't figure out where all this is comming from or is it a ploy because the FDA is so big we can't figure out who to complain to!! Anyone know where the regulation is that says we can't have Encore Pro. What is it that is so bad for us to have. I learned how to push the buttons way before I learned that you could program your change into Encore Pro!!!

Jerry,

No arguments, there. Me suspicions are that it's a convenient pass-the-buck.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Well my faithfull CPAP finally gave up the ghost. After reading all the comments I have decided on trying this new machine, so I just ordered it 2 minutes ago.

Now I just need to survive on my Polaris ex backup until it arrive.

Thanks for all the comments and pictures, they really helped in my decision.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 pm

168 posts in nine days. Quite a bit of excitement.

Most interesting to me is that all of this is over a machine that seems to make no claims for improved therapy. Am I missing something?

(Coincidentally, I changed my signature today before I read about the software issue.)

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 pm

... but it has a knob and fancy graphics and backlit symbols.
jeff

no_more_headaches

Post by no_more_headaches » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 pm

socalmonkey wrote:
no_more_headaches wrote:Whats the quantity of water in the resevoir? How would it compare to the F&P HC300?
Can you fill it by talking the hose off the top and dropping in a funnel or do you have to slide the thing out?
Can you tell when you reach the fill mark without sliding it out?

The rainout question is the next thing. I have the Aussie heated hose and I wonder if that will conflict with its auto sensor?
It says holds (325 ml) 11 oz. at the recommended water level. I think the F&P has a Chamber Water Capacity = 1 2/3 Cups. So my fuzzy math says that's a little less than 11 oz. ? It is a huge improvement over the old M series water tank. The pathetic old M humidifier, is the reason why I used the F&P HC150.

I wouldn't fill it by removing the hose. That is more trouble than flipping the lid (with a convenient release lever on the front). The tank then slides easily out. You then don't have to remove the top to fill it. It looks like they have done a great job with the redesign. Also the heating element inside, is slightly spring loaded, like the F&P. Looks like it will heat well.

Yes, you can see the max. fill line from the outside.

I have no idea how the a heated hose would effect it's new features. It monitors room temperature as well as humidity (it would be really cool if I could see those numbers). So if it works really well, then why would you need a heated hose? Time will answer this one.
Well since your in SoCal it probably won't get cold enough to see if Rainout is an issue. I guess we have to wait for December and see what people have to say.

Supine AHI 78.9 REM AHI 16
Titrated 1/18/08, Pressure 9

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 pm

I had a really great first night with the new machine! I woke-up feeling fantastic! For me, something feels very different about the treatment from this machine (or maybe it's just my first night effect). But from the first breath, it felt different. What is it? I don't know. Maybe it's the fumes from a new machine or the Propofol . But seriously, it felt like the A-Flex response was some how different. I woke-up feeling really good, and that continued throughout the day.

Now for the bad news. No data. Absolutely none, except 6.9 hours of blower time. I called Respironics twice and they had no idea if I should be seeing data or not. What I find odd is that even under the "Compliance VIC (Visual Inspection Check)" it's suppose to show the start date and the total number of days used when sessions were greater than 4 hours... and it shows nothing. Could it be that 24 hours hasn't pasted yet, so it doesn't know what day one is? Who knows... Respironics apparently doesn't. I have to scream much louder at them tomorrow to get some action. Because I was promised someone would call me back with the answer... but no call back. I am sure many of you are not surprised.

Something else has me worried. In many places the manual repeats the following sentence:

"If the device has only 5 days of data to use for the calculation, the 5 day average value will be seen under the 7 day display."

I hope this doesn't mean I have to wait 5 days for any data! I will be pissed if that's the case. I never used the display for data on my old machine (always through software), so I don't know if this is normal. Can't I see at least one day of data and then reset it each day? I assumed this would be possible until I could get the pro software. If anyone with has any ideas of how I can buy the pro 2.1 - please send me PM... all info kept confidential. I've looked outside the states, and it's doesn't appear to be there. Going to talk to my doc.

Oh, both reps did tell me the Encore Viewer software was coming. But neither could say when. But they both were certain it was coming. But I still want the pro version.

Despite no data, I still really love the machine. My first night was a big success. The bottom line maybe be improved therapy (hopefully)... but it would be nice to get some numbers to go along with that. Oh well, this is the price I have to pay for being an early adopter... so I can get the bugs out and pave the way for one and all .

Oh yeah, no rain issues yet. I do run air conditioning, even though its hot here, I keep the room pretty cold. I used to make the HC150 rainout in the summer. So more on the humidifier as things develop, but so far so good.

Another side note: our host is almost sold out of this machine. They had 24 less than a week ago... now they're down to 1. So let's hear from some of the 22 others out there!
Can you see data the next day yet?

Edit - one more note: I got the SD card to mount on my desktop. On both my Mac and PC sides. I could see the folder (named P-Series) and all the files. Could even read a couple text files. But nothing useful. So it took no special drivers to mount.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 am

socalmonkey wrote:I had a really great first night with the new machine! I woke-up feeling fantastic! For me, something feels very different about the treatment from this machine (or maybe it's just my first night effect). But from the first breath, it felt different. What is it? I don't know. Maybe it's the fumes from a new machine or the Propofol . But seriously, it felt like the A-Flex response was some how different. I woke-up feeling really good, and that continued throughout the day.

If you think something is making you feel better, then you may actually feel better.

According to my Respironics contact, the A-Flex algorithm has not been modified

It is well known that many people (myself included), when feeling "down", can go shopping and feel much better. It's not just getting out of the house and moving about that makes them feel better. They will start feeling better the night before a planned shopping trip.

I think the challenge for you is to still feel like a frisky monkey once the newness of the "toy" has worn off and you realize the machine you put in the closet provided the same therapy.

But anyway, you provided some good info about the software and it is still interesting to read your comments and I will keep following them.

Good luck,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks Rooster.

Still no data this morning. More phone calls to RP today. Could I have a defective unit? It makes no sense. I though you could see data after the first day on the old machine. It just wouldn't be whole session because of the local time cut off. But I looked in the old machine manuals, and it doesn't use any 5 day language. So maybe it shows nothing until after the first 5 days? We're going to find out!

Night number two was also a winner. I woke up feeling better again today! Although last night I covered the light on my alarm clock, and noticed the only light on the machine... the heater on indicator.. is on and brighter than I would like. Not as bad as the dreaded 'blue" lights... but it pretty close. It's going to need an Aviary sticker label over it! Close PR... but your blew it again. Or I could just turn the heater off.

So enough goofing off at work! I am going to work in some phone calls at break time.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 am

socalmonkey wrote: ......the only light on the machine... the heater on indicator.. is on and brighter than I would like. Not as bad as the dreaded 'blue" lights... but it pretty close. It's going to need an Aviary sticker label over it! Close PR... but your blew it again. Or I could just turn the heater off.

Holy crap! The Chief Humidifier Design Engineer at Respironics was on vacation the day they discussed the lights.

Last edited by roster on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm

OR - PR has someone w/a "light fixation" on staff!

Oh, m'God! Oh, m'God! Gotta have a light on! Gotta have a light on! Oh, m'God!

Last edited by Slinky on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm

rooster wrote:According to my Respironics contact, the A-Flex algorithm has not been modified
IF so.... doesn't seem like much of an "upgrade" .... might even be considered a "downgrade" since there is no software available at currently.
¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Slinky wrote:OR - PR has someone w/a "light fixation" on staff!

Oh, m'God! Oh, m'God! Gotta have a light on! Gotta have a light on! Oh, m'God!
They just want to make sure you don't trip over the CPAP in dark.
¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

roster

Post by roster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm

wabmorgan wrote:
rooster wrote:According to my Respironics contact, the A-Flex algorithm has not been modified
IF so.... doesn't seem like much of an "upgrade" .... might even be considered a "downgrade" since there is no software available at currently.
I agree. The upgrade of the humidifier does not come near offsetting the loss of the software capability. I would not run for six months waiting on the software. Just gotta check on my data at least once per week or so.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 pm

My understanding was that they improved the C-Flex but not the A-Flex. Not sure I understand what they did to it but changed the name to C-Flex Plus. Still a downer until they make the software available to us and I see what it will do.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 pm

I came home from work today... and tah dah... DATA! It says there has been only one day of therapy. Even though there's been two. But at least it's working. I don't know why the first day didn't count. Maybe the machine had jet lag (or UPS truck lag) and had to catch up with the new time zone. But my calls to Respironics were worthless. They have no clue.

So when I get brave... or if I can figure out if it will format a new SD card when inserted, then I might try resetting it, and seeing if it still takes two days to get any data. At least I can see something now... and something is better than nothing.

So back to my software quest... as it continues .