CPAP vs. Sleep Apnea Pills

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyT

Re: CPAP vs. Sleep Apnea Pills

Post by SleepyT » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:13 pm

i'm with you, pugsy. is there no shame? apparently not.

"Knowledge is power."

Treehorn

Post by Treehorn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:Being the skeptic that I am, I don't think there ever was a grumpy grandpa. I think this was just a sneaky attempt to get past the spam radar.

I remember seeing a similar "story" at another apnea forum a couple months back.

Reading back that seems lilely because the poster ignored all advice on how one can't self-diagnose themself as being better and just posted how it all worked out for Grandpa in the end.

Happy-go-lucky anecdotal evidence that is designed to send us all running to their website.

Sad if its true.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Pugsy wrote:Being the skeptic that I am, I don't think there ever was a grumpy grandpa. I think this was just a sneaky attempt to get past the spam radar.

I remember seeing a similar "story" at another apnea forum a couple months back.
Ding Ding Ding I think we have a winner here./.....

That is exactly what I thought as I was reading through this post.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Maria29 wrote:I just want to give an update on my grouchy Grandpa. He is doing better, I got him to try these pills for sleep apnea. The pill are call Sleep Apnea Relief, the ingredients are grown organically and are made by a medical professional. He's sleeping much better at night, so, so far so good. Here is the link to find out more about Sleep Apnea Relief. http://www.beatsleepapnea.com
So some of you think Maria29 is a lying spammer? There is another possibility. Grandpa is lying. He told Maria29 the pills work, just to get her to shut the h%$# up and leave him alone.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Lobelia does increase deeper breathing at lower doses, but probably makes you more wakeful. It has a similar action to nicotine. At higher doses, it can actually depress the pulmonary system and stop breathing altogether, the way chocolate does with dogs. However, it's probably safe. It might even be useful if you have no access to CPAP, but I doubt it works as well as CPAP. I want to see the proof. I tried calling the number. I was put on permanent hold. It think it's moot though. The whole site screams "We have made grossly unsubstantiated claims about Sleep Apnea". It won't be long before the FDA shuts them down.

Grandpa... Pffft.
Rooster wrote:Grandpa is lying. He told Maria29 the pills work, just to get her to shut the h%$# up and leave him alone.
Rooster - Still, I think she's a spammer too.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:50 pm

it's called a diet pill...... people, dont be pulled into false hopes

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 pm

I love one of the claims: 'Relaxes muscles to encourage restful sleep...' Certain overly relaxed muscles causes OSA in the first place. SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!

T
The old six shooter was as popular as the cellphone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the theater!

roster

Post by roster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Terminator wrote:I love one of the claims: 'Relaxes muscles to encourage restful sleep...' Certain overly relaxed muscles causes OSA in the first place. SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!

T
Good catch Termie.

Maybe that's why Maria69 thinks Gramps is sleeping better. He only had one apnea - all night long.

Maria96, why don't you see if you can awaken Gramps. He has been in there, what, 29 hours?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

mars

Post by mars » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi All

Their screed says -

You see, most people suffering from sleep apnea experience a diminished signal between their brain and their diaphragm during sleep...........Each Sleep Apnea Relief capsule naturally stimulates the part of the brain which controls the signal to your diaphragm and encourages deep breathing throughout the night, thereby attacking the cause of sleep apnea at the root.

One bottle of Sleep Apnea Relief contains a full months supply of a priopritary blend of just five very special ingredients:

* Lobelia – To stimulate your respiratory system.
* Cramp Bark - To relax your stressed muscles so you can rest.
* Thyme – To enhance the activity of lung membranes.
* Chamomile – To allows you to relax and become calm.
* Meadow Sweet – To ensure full and quick absorption.

End Quote

So there you have it. Nothing about keeping the throat open, except relaxing the muscles even more sounds counter-productive to me. Sounds like they are talking about what we know as Centrals, but to think they have solved the problem of Centrals and then market it in a snake-oil advertisement is hard to believe. And because they do not distinguish between OSA and CSA they do not give the impression of knowing much about sleep apnea. The voice testimonials are not worth the time listening to them.

I think Pugsy has got it right.

cheers

Mars

PS Also. the fact that they cannot spell "proprietary" indicates a certain slackness that does not bode well for their claim .
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

Maria29

Post by Maria29 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm

LOL. I don't blame you for being skeptical, I feel the same way about most things. I didn't mean to come across as "spammy" so I changed my siggy and removed the link in my earlier post. If people want to check it out they can, if its not right for them fine. It doesn't make any difference to me. I just know that it works for my GP.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Maria29 wrote:

LOL. I don't blame you for being skeptical, I feel the same way about most things. I didn't mean to come across as "spammy" so I changed my siggy and removed the link in my earlier post. If people want to check it out they can, if its not right for them fine. It doesn't make any difference to me. I just know that it works for my GP.
And the fact that you moved the link to your siggie pretty much tells all for me. I am the owner of another forum elsewhere. I see this tactic often, along with a nice little story to go along with the spam link instead of a blatant one line link for the product.

You got what you wanted, a little discussion of the product and a few people actually visited the website. I wasn't one of them. I don't believe for one second that this was anything but a sneaky way to avoid the spam police.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi All

On reflection I guess what I posted may well have helped the advertiser to make their next ad more believable. Probably not to us, but to other less suspicious folks.

Hope not

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

All of you naysayers just want to withhold health care from poor grandpa.

Sounds like a death panel to me.
jeff

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

There is NO pill to treat sleep apnea... natural or Rx.

What they probably have found is some kind of pill that helps with the feeling of being so tired from sleep apnea.

something like provigil http://www.provigil.com/index.php

or nuvigil http://www.nuvigil.com/

It is important to understand that these only help relieve the feeling of being tired.... they do NOT treat sleep apnea and don't help with the long term effects sleep apnea has on ones health. They will not help prevent the on set of health problems caused by sleep apnea.

Only CPAP or a dental device or something that keeps the airway open will treat sleep apnea prevent related health problems.
¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:07 am

I've filed a complaint with the FDA for unsubstantiated medical claims.
I suggest others follow suit. Here's the FDA's on-line reporting system.
It takes about five minutes.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... online.htm
Click "Begin" on the right-hand side.
Leave section A blank. Click "Next Section".
In Section B:
Check "Product Use Error" for item 1.
For item 5, say something like "The product being sold at website w w w . b e a t s l e e p a p n e a . c o m the has no data to back up its claim. It's false advertising. At the very least the FDA should check them out."
Click "Next Section"
Skip Section C - Click "Next Section"
Section D - Item one:
Product Name: Sleep Apnea Relief
Label Strength: Not Available
Manufacturer: Sleep Apnea Store
Section D - Item two:
Dose or Amount: 1 Pill
Frequency: at bed time
Route: Oral
Click "Next Section"
Skip Section E - Click "Next Section"
Skip Section F - Click "Next Section"
Section G - Fill out all the personal information.
Item 5 - If you're not a medical professional,
I'd check item 5 so the company doesn't receive your phone number.
Click "Submit Report".
Print or make a pdf of the report on the next page for your records.

Note: I've purposefully munged the URL above with spaces between letters so we don't mistakenly give the site any benefit of return links with google or other search engines.

Last edited by DreamDiver on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.