Flu Shots??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MissMiaMoodles

Flu Shots??

Post by MissMiaMoodles » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:43 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if any you will be getting a flu and/or pneumonia shot this year? If so will you be getting it because of CPAP? etc.

Miss Mia Moodles
AKA Trissy

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:54 am

I've been getting the flu shot for years despite being on an immunosuppressant for Crohn's disease. I have had two pneumonia shots, 5 years apart, both prior to starting CPAP therapy. I've been given the flu and pneumonia shots due to my age (65) and because I have COPD.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am

My neighbor says that he is hoping that enough other people get is so that he won't need it.

I will definitely get it!
I just want to go back to sleep!

amos

Post by amos » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 am

I have gotten the flu shot every year for at leat the last 15 years or more. I get it because I do not want to get the flu. It has nothing to do with cpap. I get the pneumonia shot every five years because I do not want to get pneumonia. It has nothing to do with cpap.

Amos

admiralross

Post by admiralross » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm

My wifey is gonna get hers on the 25th @ $25. She works with kids and goes to college. So she's outside and in public a lot more then I do. I happen to be allergic to them.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:26 pm

I have been getting one for years. Actually I started getting it during the time before I was started on CPAP.

I was sick all the time every winter. I think it was due to lack of quality sleep because since I started CPAP and sleep well I have hardly been sickat all.

I think I will continue the flu shot though just to be sure.

FLU & PHNUMENOIA SHOTS

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:31 pm

I just got mine this Saturday and NO, it's not just because of CPAP use, I have always got the flu shot for many years... Although, I would hate like heck to have the flu and have to struggle with the mask, fever, runny nose, aches & pains, etc... WE Need to stay as healthy as possible. I had the phnemonia shot 2 or 3 years ago (my first one I might add), I think you get that one every 5 years. As soon as the flu shot comes out, I burn rubber to get one, the sooner the better...

The Cost Is OutRageous!!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 pm

OH, by the way I went to Longs Drug Store to get my flu shot and it costed me $ 30.00 this year, same price at Walgreen's (unbelievable)

SisterShotgun

Post by SisterShotgun » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Everyone in my family will get a flu shot especially since we care for a diabetic child.. My doctor does want me to get a phnemonia shot because of the apnea..

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:45 pm

I'll get a flu shot, as usual. I've always gotten one for quite a few years now. This year it might be even more imoprtant though because I'd rather avoid the ful if I could, seeing as I think that might make xPAP a bit challenging to use.
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:55 am

I either get one or anticipate getting the flu (usually happens). Plus when I don't get the shot... I get a lecture from the doc as I'm also asthmatic.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 am

Have gotten one every year since 2000 (and the pnuemonia every five years). Nothing to do with cpap, everything to do with the fact I have no spleen, which according to my dr means I need to get them even when there are shortages. Get it at work.

TM

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I should and am supposed to, but never done it. When I was working we were supposed to get it at work, it would be a shame to be sick and mess up their work schedule. It seemed like the ones that got the shot got sick.

That kind of put me off them. There's a new one going around, I think I might have it already.

It seems that there is a virus out there called the Senile Virus that
even the most advanced programs from Norton cannot take care of, so be
warned, it appears to affect those of us who were born before 1960!

Ten Symptoms of Senilus Vireous ( Senile Virus)

1. Causes you to send same e-mail twice.

2. Causes you to send blank e-mail.

3. Causes you to send to wrong person.

4. Causes you to send back to person who sent it to you.

5. Causes you to forget to attach the attachment.

6. Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished the
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:21 pm

I get one every year. I still get sick, but I don't get the flu. I get a bad cold.

The head of our School Nurses bragged last year at a staff meeting that she's NEVER gotten one. Next week she got the flu and was out for two weeks.

I just prefer not to tempt the God of Mischief, you know?

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

SleepingBeauty

Post by SleepingBeauty » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 pm

I get one every year, and I would get it regardless of the CPAP.

I just wish I would have gotten the shot earlier this season. I am still at home from the flu that I got last week. Had I gotten the flu shot, I doubt I would have gotten this episode.

This flu is a particularly bad one. I had fevers ranging from 101 to 103+ for 5 days. No fever tonight thought! I think I've won. And the cough syrup with codine was very helpful.

I don't know if getting the shot now is like shutting the barn door after the horse has run out, but I'm getting it anyway. There is always a chance the shot will protect against a different strain of virus than I just encountered.