Traveling on Allegiant Air

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
djdixie

Traveling on Allegiant Air

Post by djdixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 am

I have flown on other airlines before and my CPAP did not count as either my personal item or my carry-on bag, but when I called Allegiant Air today to make sure it would be the same with them when I fly to Florida next week, I was told my CPAP WOULD count as one of those. In other words, I could only bring one other item in addition to my CPAP. Does anyone have experience flying on Allegiant? Did your CPAP count as your personal or carry-on item?

Arthurs

Re: Traveling on Allegiant Air

Post by Arthurs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm

The person you spoke to is wrong. See this thread:
viewtopic/t36133/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35 ... 02#p310488

and the rules that airlines must follow:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/382short.pdf
in particular 14 CFR Section 382.41

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:45 pm

<SIGH> Here we go again.

djdixie

Post by djdixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:03 pm

akcpapguy--I do know about the "official" regulations regarding CPAP equipment on airplanes and usually carry a copy of these regs with me along with my CPAP prescription. My question was just about whether anyone has had problems with this particular airline.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Sorry djdixie, my post wasn't directed towards you. It was more related to the discussion about our percieved "legal right" to carry a PAP machine as a carry on for free. I'm not going to go into a big discussion about it again here in your thread, i've stated my position sufficiently in the above referenced thread.

As far as Allegiant Airlines goes, i haven't had any interaction with them. I tried to look on their website for an answer or reference to their policy, however it wouldn't load for me, not sure if that is due to work connection or on their end. I will try to find a number for them and call.

Once again, sorry if you took offense.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I will be travel on US Airways next week, so emailed to ask their policy. They said CPAP no count, No problem - bring your prescription.

Ha, How many do have a copy of their prescription, in hand? Who thought they'd ever need it?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

grandmajoy

Post by grandmajoy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm

I will be traveling on Allegiant in January. I will be looking forward to what you find out. Thank you.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:31 pm

GumbyCT wrote:Ha, How many do have a copy of their prescription, in hand? Who thought they'd ever need it?
Hubby and I both have copies of our prescriptions that we travel with. No one has ever asked to see them or the "letters of medical necessity" but we figure having them is good insurance.

We've flown on a number of different airlines over the last five years and had no problems with any of them thinking our CPAPs count as one of our allowed carryons.

Not sure why akcpapguy has a knot in his knickers about this one, though...maybe I don't want to know. Guess I could go read the other thread if I really wanted to know. I think it's important to be able to take a medically necessary device as well as other items I may need as carryons.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

echo

Post by echo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Don't get anyone started, CorgiGirl! I won't say I agree or disagree with any of the parties in the previous thread, but it did get to be a looooong discussion!

I take my "letter of medical necessity" with me. I've never needed it on any US or European flights, but they did ask for it when I flew from Turkey to Europe. I think it's always good to have as a backup.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm flying out tomorrow morning. I do not have a Prescription to show anyone. I hope I don't get the third degree from TSA because I am not a happy camper at 4:00 in the morning. I will not check my CPAP in to the Land of the Lost baggage handlers either.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 pm

tgzlavistane wrote:I'm flying out tomorrow morning. I do not have a Prescription to show anyone. I hope I don't get the third degree from TSA because I am not a happy camper at 4:00 in the morning. I will not check my CPAP in to the Land of the Lost baggage handlers either.
I'd not give it another thought. TSA is very familiar with cpaps, and it's just the scanning routine that you need to expect. No big deal. Take out the machine and put it in a tray at the xray so they don't have to fumble with getting it out of its bag. Keep all the rest of your gear packed so that this process is quick & easy and you don't have to fumble around. Have a good trip.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

djdixie

Post by djdixie » Sun May 10, 2009 5:23 pm

When I made that trip via Allegiant in December, there was no problem with taking my CPAP, my carry on and my personal item on board. There were no questions asked, went just as plr66 described. Happy trails!

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Sun May 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice , Your putting my mind at ease. Would you suggest keeping the CPAP in the overhead storage or by your person like a computer.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:37 pm

tgzlavistane wrote:Thanks for the advice , Your putting my mind at ease. Would you suggest keeping the CPAP in the overhead storage or by your person like a computer.
I think you should do whatever makes you feel most relaxed during your trip. I have always put mine in overhead, and with no problem. I just make sure it is securely nesting next to the side wall of the compartment so it doesn't get jostled around. But if you feel more at east with it at your feet, by all means do that. I have other stuff I like to have at my feet to make me comfortable during the flights.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sun May 10, 2009 8:51 pm

I traveled via Allegiant Air at Christmas time last year. I refuse to check any baggage. If I can't fit my clothes, shoes, and toiletries in to one small suitcase and a carryon bag, it ain't going! I always have one carryon bag, a small suitcase, and my CPAP. I've never encoutered any problems. I can always fit my CPAP and my carryon bag under the seat, and I stow the small suitcase above.