Nasal Pillow Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nathan C. Morales

Nasal Pillow Problems

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 am

Hi all, I've been using my cpap machine for 1.5 years and it's been a life saver.

For some reason, I've been having trouble breathing the last couple of nights. It feels like I can't breath when I have my nasal pillow on--as if I'm not getting enough air. Also, when I lay on my side, I can feel water dripping inside the pillow.

I've cleaned by nasal pillow
Humidifier is set to 2/5

Do I just need a new one?

Thanks,

--Nathan

Pugsy

Re: Nasal Pillow Problems

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 am

When is the last time you put on a new nasal pillow?

For the moisture in nasal pillow see posts number 2 and 3 in this thread. When are you feeling the water in the nasal pillow...beginning of the night, middle or whenever? If it's the beginning of the night...when are you washing things?
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nathan C. Morales

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:36 am

Pugsy wrote:When is the last time you put on a new nasal pillow?

For the moisture in nasal pillow see posts number 2 and 3 in this thread. When are you feeling the water in the nasal pillow...beginning of the night, middle or whenever? If it's the beginning of the night...when are you washing things?
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

Hi Pugsy,

This nasal pillow is about a year old. The water is happening within 30-60 minutes. I wash them in the morning so they will be thoroughly dried by night.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am

The micro diffuser vents on the P10 can become plugged making it hard to exhale co2 properly.
Resmed recommends using a soft bristle brush to clean the vent micro screen.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:50 am

Put on a new nasal pillow. A year is a good long life.
Otherwise for breathing difficulties you might look at the used pillow closely to make sure the inner cones on the P10 haven't got inverted. When that happens it can cause difficulties breathing.

How much water at the beginning of the night? There shouldn't be any water in the nasal pillow at the beginning of the night.
Now it wouldn't be impossible to have some condensation from your own exhaled breath after an hour depending on the ambient bedroom temperature.
Is your bedroom at bit cooler now than it has been?

Most likely 2 separate problems here...1 being the nasal pillow may just getting tired and 2 being for some reason there's some water in the nasal pillow.

I know people can and do use the P10 for more than 12 months but I would try a new nasal pillow if it were me.

Read about the options in that thread above for condensation reduction if you feel the water is condensation as opposed to maybe being left over from washing. It's not impossible for there to be a few drops left sort of stuck in those inner cones even if the washing was done in the AM.

As mentioned by jtravel...take a look at the P10 mask frame vent holes...do a really good cleaning on those vent holes...even consider putting a new frame on if you have one.
Test out the old frame by putting your fingers right almost on top of the vent holes to check to see if you feel air exiting the holes..if not..they are plugged up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 am

Make sure your putting the Left pillow in the left nostril and right in right.
I have accidentally put it on wrong in the middle of the night and couldn't breath very well.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:59 pm

jtravel wrote:The micro diffuser vents on the P10 can become plugged making it hard to exhale co2 properly.
Resmed recommends using a soft bristle brush to clean the vent micro screen.
and hot water, and dishwashing soap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Also check that the inner pillow is going in the same direction. I have had them get reversed especially after washing. When they get reversed it makes it harder to breathe.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Nathan C. Morales

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Hello all,

Being off the machine for 3 nights is a sober reminder why I am on this in the first place. The inner lining is in the correct position. It is also correctly attached to each nostril.

My best guess is that it's either just plain worn out and/or I need to clean the diffuser vents as suggested.

Thank you!

--Nathan

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Nathan C. Morales wrote:...or I need to clean the diffuser vents as suggested.
If you use a WaterPik Water Flosser, you might find it useful in cleaning the vents. Just use the smallest stream with the highest pressure and it should clean well. If discoloration is a problem, try mixing hydrogen peroxide with the water, it may help.

Last edited by JimW159 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Nathan C. Morales wrote:...or I need to clean the diffuser vents as suggested.
If you use a WaterPik Water Flosser, you might find it useful in cleaning the vents.
I believe that's chunkyfrog's favorite method

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Sure sounds to me like clogged exhaust vent holes. It happened to me just this week. Soaked it in water and a little Dawn dish washing soap and then used my can of compressed air to blow the vent holes clean. It's working just like new again. You should be able to feel a reasonable amount of air coming out when you hold your hand in front of the vents. If not, it's clogged.

Nathan C. Morales

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am

It was clogged vent holes. I'm back on track.

Thanks everyone!

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am

Beautiful. Good tips in here...would have never thought of using compressed air!

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Nathan C. Morales wrote:It was clogged vent holes. I'm back on track.

Thanks everyone!
good to know!