INFORMATION - Afrin Nasal Spray Addiction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LightStamp

Re: INFORMATION - Afrin Nasal Spray Addiction

Post by LightStamp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Last night I was excited about the Dilution method whereby you add a little distilled water to the Afrin once a day and use it and you are slowly moving toward the spraying mostly distilled water after a while and your nostrils are healed.
I added just a bit of distilled water to a new bottle of Afrin original last night and sprayed in each nostril - went to bed and slept deeper than I had in years until about 2AM and the congestion started to come back in. I then got up and spray some more Afrin that had been diluted slightly and it did nothing - I had to resign to laying in bed in dark and closing my eyes without the mask. I don't think I ever went to sleep but wearing the mask last night was not an option.
I will through out this diluted Afrin and buy a fresh bottle and do the one nostril technique tonight. I'm also doing the Saline spray and the Flonase. Thanks
Harry

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:51 pm

LightStamp wrote:wearing the mask last night was not an option
Of course, we should use our CPAP every time we sleep. But, if you get in a jam, and just cannot use it, make sure you don't sleep on your back. Sleep on your sides or stomach. On your back, gravity is directly pulling the soft palate and tongue into the airway. In the other positions, the effect of gravity is not as direct, and some people will not experience apnea so severe as on the back.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

LightStamp

Post by LightStamp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Ok Thanks good to know. I'm a side sleeper anyway.

LightStamp

Post by LightStamp » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 am

UPDATE: I tried for an hour or so to not do anything but got to where I couldn't breathe through my nose so I did the one nostril Afrin spray and slept the rest of the night great!! I can already feel my non-Afrin nostril recovering!! I also used a breathe Right strip which I think helped a lot. Looking forward to another great night tonight!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:04 am

LightStamp wrote:so I did the one nostril Afrin spray and slept the rest of the night great!! I can already feel my non-Afrin nostril recovering!!
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."