5 months later..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: 5 months later..

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am

FWIW I couldn't use the Wisp mask because of nasal congestion and it was because of the ever so slight pressure that the mask put on the sides of my nose where the turbinates are (the area of the nose where most eyeglasses rest).
Take the pressure off that area and no congestion. So you may be like me in that the least little pressure causes congestion.
One of the reasons I don't do any mask that goes over the nose.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CountingSheep

Post by CountingSheep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Great....! Now stop using Otrivine!!! Have you got a heated tube? You’ll find in the evenings if you stop using Otrivine you won’t get clogged up before bed. You need to try and get under AHI of 3 or better 2.

CountingSheep

Post by CountingSheep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 pm

I wouldn’t chop and change too much.... give everything time to settle in. Giving up Otrivine is a major physiological thing. Get out of thinking „I can only sleep well if I give my nose a squirt“
Try and blow you nose well before going to bed too. Don’t drink anything 90 minutes before sleep. But have a sip before. Use a mouthwash too seems to help me. Keep us posted.

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am
FWIW I couldn't use the Wisp mask because of nasal congestion and it was because of the ever so slight pressure that the mask put on the sides of my nose where the turbinates are (the area of the nose where most eyeglasses rest).
Take the pressure off that area and no congestion. So you may be like me in that the least little pressure causes congestion.
One of the reasons I don't do any mask that goes over the nose.
Hey,

Havent thought about it like that, that could be the issue indeed! thanks for the tip!

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 am

CountingSheep wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 pm
I wouldn’t chop and change too much.... give everything time to settle in. Giving up Otrivine is a major physiological thing. Get out of thinking „I can only sleep well if I give my nose a squirt“
Try and blow you nose well before going to bed too. Don’t drink anything 90 minutes before sleep. But have a sip before. Use a mouthwash too seems to help me. Keep us posted.
I quit otrivine. I also try not to drink 1 hour before bed time ( cause I don't want my blatter to wake me up ) I also clean my nose before bedtime. thanks for the advice though.

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:18 am

Hey boys n girls...

Unfortunately things aren't going well..

The night before this night I started using my new slightly bigger nose mask F&P 407.
At first it was pretty comfy because I felt I could breath more freely then when my slightly smaller wisp, and I fell a sleep pretty quick. Soon after it I started getting nose itches.. So I put on a Mask liner.
The itching continued and scratching with a nose mask icm a liner is a NO. So in the middle of the night I changed the mask to the WISP without a liner.

Despite the fact my AHI was pretty low for me ( 3.9 ) I had several awakenings due to the discomfort of the itching. In the morning my nose was clogging again with the wisp, but around that time I had to go out of bed for work so I didn't pay much attention to it anymore. I felt okay during the day, not refreshed but okay.

Last night I thought... well maybe I just need comfort and don't look to much @ AHI numbers so I decided to sleep with my P10 nasal Pillows.
Using those make me feel like my head is blowing up so I decreased the pressure from 9.5 to 8.0. That was very very comfortable and I fell al sleep quickly.

During the night around 02:00 am I woke up cause my daughter had a nightmare or something. I looked at my AHI and it was 13.xx
Damnit I slept so well... :( so I increased pressure to 10.0 and went back to bed. 2 or 3 hours later I checked the numbers again and it was only slightly decreasing.. it now said 11.XX

So I again changed the damn P10 for the F&P @ 10.cm and fell back to sleep.. The next few hours I woke up slightly a few times cause of the itching which came back. But around 08:30 when I came out of bed the AHI had dropped to 8.3 total during the night. 2 centrals 32 obstructive and 44 hypo's ( no leaks )

So you will understand I didn't have a good nights rest.. AGAIN and while i'm @ work now I feel pretty hung over..

Why the heck do I have such a high AHI with the p10? while It makes me sleep very comfy?
How the hell do I prevent itching ( I've red a lot about using some cream , but that wont help me )
Should I buy nose bridge protectors? ( pretty expensive every month )
Should I stick with the Wisp? This one always give me lower AHI, despite the fact it clogges my nose. ( weird huh?, it seems like sleeping with a clogged nose results in a lower AHI )

I never had an ahi below 2, would love to feel refreshed and energized again.

I now have a full face mask, nose pillows, under the nose mask, and 2 nose masks.. changing them each night wont do the job ofcourse, im trying to get comfortable with 1 or max 2 of them...

I know you guys don't have magic wands ( do you? ) and each setting and mask is very individual, but maybe someone has the golden tip :D

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:06 am

Could I please see the detailed report from the night where you started with the P10 and ended with the F & P mask?
One image please....The stuff on the left side minus the pie chart and calendar and on the right side these graphs...Events, Flow rate, Pressure, leaks.

Exactly which masks are you talking about here
I now have a full face mask, nose pillows, under the nose mask, and 2 nose masks.
I get the nose pillows is likely the P10...what are the others?
Which mask would you prefer to use just from the comfort aspect of things?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:27 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:06 am
Could I please see the detailed report from the night where you started with the P10 and ended with the F & P mask?
One image please....The stuff on the left side minus the pie chart and calendar and on the right side these graphs...Events, Flow rate, Pressure, leaks.

Exactly which masks are you talking about here
I now have a full face mask, nose pillows, under the nose mask, and 2 nose masks.
I get the nose pillows is likely the P10...what are the others?
Which mask would you prefer to use just from the comfort aspect of things?
Howdy Pugsy :)

Ill upload it this evening (probably midday for you )

My masks are FF resmed F20 / Philips dreamwear under the nose / Philips wisp Medium / F&P 407 standard size / resmed p10 nosepillows medium

The P10 is the most comfortable at lower pressures. ( up to 10cm ) The dreamwear under the nose is 2nd ( even with slightly higher pressures ) then a shared 3d place the nose masks, and the FF least comfy, haven't been able to sleep a full night with that one.

At pressures above ~13 I need a chinstrap cause of leaking out of the mouth but then it will go into my stomach...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 am

Also...do you sleep on your back or side or both?

Let's try to fix it so you can use the mask you like the most.

As for the P10 not being comfortable at 10 cm which apparently you need (I need to see the graphs to confirm)...how about using the ramp to ease into it???? Start lower and ease up and hopefully you will be asleep when you finally get to what you need.....

It is really odd that your AHI is less with the Wisp....doesn't make sense. Not logical. Unless you had a lot of SWJ sleep/wake/junk muddying up the P10 reports. Assuming leaks not a factor.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 am

Trim your nasal hair and that should take care of the nasal itch, they blow in the wind.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:29 am

squid13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 am
Trim your nasal hair and that should take care of the nasal itch, they blow in the wind.
The outside of my nose itches :/

huydts

Post by huydts » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 am
Also...do you sleep on your back or side or both?

Let's try to fix it so you can use the mask you like the most.

As for the P10 not being comfortable at 10 cm which apparently you need (I need to see the graphs to confirm)...how about using the ramp to ease into it???? Start lower and ease up and hopefully you will be asleep when you finally get to what you need.....

It is really odd that your AHI is less with the Wisp....doesn't make sense. Not logical. Unless you had a lot of SWJ sleep/wake/junk muddying up the P10 reports. Assuming leaks not a factor.
Hi!

I prefer sleeping on my back, but sometimes i sleep on my side aswell.
On my side i tend to have less apneas.

It would be AWESOME if we could fix this problem!
I can use Ramp function, but i'm afraid higher pressures wake me up during the night due to stomach pain and burping.
That was the case few times when i set my machine on auto 9-20. The machine hitted 15, 16, 17, 18 sometimes and stayed there for a while too... that wakes me up very badly.

See my detailed charts below of last night where i switched from p10 to F&P... that was around 2am

I rlly rlly apreciate you guys trying to think with me!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Use the ramp to ease up to whatever pressure you want to use.
Try the P10 again but start it at whatever is comfortable using the ramp feature. Start lower and more comfortable and let it work up to 9 or 10 if that is what you want to use.
You don't have to use a full wide range of pressures if higher pressures cause aerophagia.

How long does it normally take you to fall asleep?
Set the ramp...so it starts at around 6 or 7 (default is 4 but you can increase it)....if it takes 20 minutes to fall asleep set the ramp time to 25 or 30 minutes. Let you get to sleep before it works up to the regular minimum pressure.
Then set the minimum pressure to 9 ish and maximum to around 10 or 11....see what happens.
Be sure to engage the ramp by pushing the ramp button right when you start the machine.

If you just have to use cpap fixed mode....set it at 9 cm....but use the ramp again so it doesn't blow so much when you first start the night. Use Smart Ramp...it will increase the pressure if it thinks you are asleep and you start to have apneas before you have reached the 9 cm pressure.

Use your ramp feature...it's there to help you get used to the pressures so that you are asleep before full pressure hits. More comfortable.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Just so you know when you use fixed cpap mode your FL event flagging gets turned off.
Flow limitations are indications the airway is trying to collapse.
So the fact you had no FL flags when in cpap mode doesn't mean they didn't happen.

If you feel you must use a fixed pressure to mimic cpap mode...switch over to APAP mode but set the minimum to equal the maximum and then the machine functions like fixed cpap mode but FL flagging is turned on.
FLs are important and part of the auto adjusting algorithm. The machine will try to kill flow limitations with more pressure because they are warning signs that the airway is collapsing.

Thumper68

Post by Thumper68 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:22 pm

huydts wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:29 am
squid13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:46 am
The outside of my nose itches :/
Trust us. I know it sounds odd, but it does work.