Mask leak. Dreamwear FFM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozzyluvshockey21

Mask leak. Dreamwear FFM

Post by ozzyluvshockey21 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm

53% mask leak last night on my dreamwear ffm, eek! Some nights it’s 100% some nights it’s in the 90’s, but it’s never been below 90’s. I am wondering how I can get a more consistent seal with this mask. I do like it, it’s the most comfortable one I’ve had, but I am not sure why I keep having the leak issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LSAT

Re: Mask leak. Dreamwear FFM

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm

mets123

Post by mets123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 am

I really like the new dreamwear ffm. I went to a large cushion size which did help.
For me to avoid large leaks I have to tighten the straps more than I think I should have to in order to avoid leaks.
I would recommend trying a larger cushion size and see if that does help.

salinas212

Post by salinas212 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am

For me and my facial topography I also suffered a slight-to-moderate leak at the point where my nostrils contact the upper cushion of the nasal mask. Through many nights of fussing/fidgeting with many strap tensional changes I've managed to minimize but not completely eliminate leakage at that point. I found that upper straps, at least for me play a dramatically larger role in affecting leaks at my particular problem area and pressure setting. I can virtually leave the lower straps disconnected and not suffer any lower leaks but the upper contact point for me is critical. Worth mentioning I've also toyed with medium & large FF cushions to no avail... either/or presents the same issue at same location to a similar degree. Only thing I've found to reduce leakage is tightening the upper straps more than I'd like but not so much as to cause upper lip tissue or gum soreness. Admittedly it did become a little sore initially for a few days but I seem to have become accustomed to the tension (tightness) I've settled on. Leaks are now minimal (well & easily within green-face smiley territory) tho still there and the OCDness in me grapples with it tho its easier for me to deal with than the previous nose bridge abrasion issue I developed after 6 months with the F20 FFM even tho I enjoyed a totally comfortable & leak-free fit. The DWFFM for me at least just has so many other favorable attributes than the F20FFM its worth a small loss in air tho I haven't quite thrown in the towel on getting the DW to seal 100%. I suspect if DW made this mask with a nasal pillow FFM option I'd have found my BFFMF!

If you're gonna be a dog, why intentionally choose Chihuahua!?!

chapa.r

Post by chapa.r » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:11 pm

salinas212 wrote:For me and my facial topography I also suffered a slight-to-moderate leak at the point where my nostrils contact the upper cushion of the nasal mask. Through many nights of fussing/fidgeting with many strap tensional changes I've managed to minimize but not completely eliminate leakage at that point. I found that upper straps, at least for me play a dramatically larger role in affecting leaks at my particular problem area and pressure setting. I can virtually leave the lower straps disconnected and not suffer any lower leaks but the upper contact point for me is critical. Worth mentioning I've also toyed with medium & large FF cushions to no avail... either/or presents the same issue at same location to a similar degree. Only thing I've found to reduce leakage is tightening the upper straps more than I'd like but not so much as to cause upper lip tissue or gum soreness. Admittedly it did become a little sore initially for a few days but I seem to have become accustomed to the tension (tightness) I've settled on. Leaks are now minimal (well & easily within green-face smiley territory) tho still there and the OCDness in me grapples with it tho its easier for me to deal with than the previous nose bridge abrasion issue I developed after 6 months with the F20 FFM even tho I enjoyed a totally comfortable & leak-free fit. The DWFFM for me at least just has so many other favorable attributes than the F20FFM its worth a small loss in air tho I haven't quite thrown in the towel on getting the DW to seal 100%. I suspect if DW made this mask with a nasal pillow FFM option I'd have found my BFFMF!
My face is awkward also, I had the same leak issues with the large mask but when I went down to a medium it cut off all the leaks. Only problem the mouth opening just barley covers my entire mouth. It’s a little uncomfortable but I just deal with it to have no more tired days.

Best of luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm

chapa.r said:
"Only problem the mouth opening just barley covers my entire mouth"
That's my problem too, the mask barely covers my mouth. If my mouth opens even slightly it causes a leak at my lower lip.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 am

mets123 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 am
I really like the new dreamwear ffm. I went to a large cushion size which did help.
For me to avoid large leaks I have to tighten the straps more than I think I should have to in order to avoid leaks.
I would recommend trying a larger cushion size and see if that does help.
Those are good ideas, however I've found found that if I tighten the straps that way the mask puts too much pressure on my lower jaw.

I think differences in head and neck anatomy vary in effect from person to person.

My headgear tension shifts a lot depending on the position I'm in.
For me, the mask feels too loose when I'm standing in front of the mirror putting it on.
It feels tighter when I lay down on my back, and it feels even tighter when I roll to my side.

So I just keep the straps loose and lie on my back for a few minutes as the cushion inflates and my body adjusts to the position.
I gently tug on the mask two or three times while laying there to check the seal.
When it seems secure, I roll to my side and go to sleep.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am

salinas212 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am
I found that upper straps, at least for me play a dramatically larger role in affecting leaks at my particular problem area and pressure setting. I can virtually leave the lower straps disconnected and not suffer any lower leaks but the upper contact point for me is critical.
That has also been my experience with the DreamWear FFM.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

Used mine for the first time last night and did pretty well. Woke up around 5 am with a leak at the top. Fiddled with it for about 30 minutes but never really got it right.

Think I will try tightening the upper straps tonight and see how that goes. I agree, the overall fit of the mask makes it worth working with to find a good fit.

GrandpaG

Post by GrandpaG » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 pm

I’m 6 months into using BIPAP with this mask and (for what it’s worth - maybe very little) this is what helped me get on top of the leak issue assuming the mask is fitted properly.
1. Wash the cushion daily including the outside that comes in contact with you face getting rid of all the facial oils and after letting it air dry then sort of rough up with a tissue.
2. After getting the mask reasonably adjusted over a few nights mark all four straps and start from there the next night. When you have a leak try to determine it’s exact location and the next time you are up tighten and remark the closest strap to the leak area just a little bit. Keep doing this every night until you are satisfied.
3. Give your brain and body sufficient time to adjust to all of this. The human body and brain are remarkably adaptable and will help you stay in positions that prevent leaks and keep your mouth closed and still while you sleep. Just try to relax and let it happen.

Hope this helps!