Dreamwear ffm users- Advice requested

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chapa.r

Dreamwear ffm users- Advice requested

Post by chapa.r » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:03 am

So, I get called by my Sleep Apnea provider every 3 weeks to see I i need new supplies ie filters, masks, wipes. I guess cause my insurance cover's the cost of the cushions. I read here how expensive the masks are. I wonder if the location is trying to just make $$ off me. I have been ordering every month a new cushion, but typically, how long does your mask last before it has to be changed out?

Thank you

Quote the raven, nevermore....

Pugsy

Re: Dreamwear ffm users- Advice requested

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am

chapa.r wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:03 am
I wonder if the location is trying to just make $$ off me
Yah think they might be milking the proverbial cash cow? :lol: :lol: You bet they are.

Just because insurance allows something to be replaced at certain intervals doesn't mean that it gets worn out that often.

Mask cushion or pillow life varies a lot between the type of mask and the person's cleaning routine and facial oils.
Some people do good to get something to last a month and someone else might get a year out of the same product.

I have no experience using a full face mask cushion for anywhere long enough for it to get tired but with nasal pillows...Medicare says I can have 2 per month....I routinely get 6 to 9 months out of just one set and most of the time they get tossed for being ugly more than anything else.

With common sense care this stuff will last a lot longer than the allowance period for the majority of users.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 am

I noticed that your subject mentioned DreamWear FFM users.
My experience with the DreamWear FFM is that the cushion provides a comfortable seal twice as long as any ResMed mask I've tried.
However, the headgear only lasts half as long as what I was used to from ResMed.
So I think every four months I'll be replacing my DreamWear headgear (off insurance, since they only cover it every six months).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am

For people having a problem with the FFM headgear wearing out too soon check out EBay....I just saw some for $15 plus 3.50 for S/H.
Reportedly new but not in original bag ...sounds like they are breaking down complete mask packages and selling the part individually to get around EBay's restrictions on selling complete mask packages.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am
For people having a problem with the FFM headgear wearing out too soon check out EBay....I just saw some for $15 plus 3.50 for S/H.
Reportedly new but not in original bag ...sounds like they are breaking down complete mask packages and selling the part individually to get around EBay's restrictions on selling complete mask packages.
The DreamWear FFM headgear has the weakest velcro I have ever seen. It often detaches when barely touched. It needs a serious upgrade.

chapa.r

Post by chapa.r » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:07 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am
The DreamWear FFM headgear has the weakest velcro I have ever seen. It often detaches when barely touched. It needs a serious upgrade.
The dam magnets suck also. When I tighten they pop off way to easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm

You shouldn't need to pull the straps that tight. You need enough slack in the straps to allow the mask seal to expand and form the seal. I have not found out how long the dreamwear ffm cushion will last. I have used it less than two months. When using the F20 I would get at least four months out of a cushion before I started having too many leaks. My wife uses the F20 and her current cushion a around six months old and is still working fine. When I clean the cushions, I handle them gently and allow them to air dry after cleaning them. If you get too energetic when cleaning the mask cushions, you can damage them. That same statement applies to nasal pillows. The thinner portions of the silicone seals are very easy to tear if you get too rough when cleaning them.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

melikou1

Post by melikou1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:08 am

I just hit one month with my Dreamwear ffm and just replaced it as the thin part in the nasal area has stretched out a little and the mask seems to leak a bit more. My insurance apparently paid for 3 to cover the next 3 months, as that's what I received when I ordered.

I feel I could still use the old one if necessary...would just leak a bit during night. So I'm keeping it around as a back-up in case I tear one during cleaning.

As mentioned, only about 1 1/2 months into treatment, but have had no issues with velcro or magnets. Holds plenty tight for me...actually I look a bit deformed when I wake up in the morning.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 am

Okie bipap wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm
You shouldn't need to pull the straps that tight. You need enough slack in the straps to allow the mask seal to expand and form the seal.
I agree. I've kept mine loose and have not had issues with the magnets or the velcro. In fact, I have found the velcro to be very strong.
I only undo the velcro once every week or two, when I wash the headgear.

The reason I'm replacing my headgear (after four months) is that the fabric itself has lost enough of its elasticity that I prefer new headgear.
I could possibly keep going with the old headgear, but it's obvious that the lower straps have been stretched.
Also, I was amazed at how much better the new headgear performed when I switched it out.
The changes to the old headgear were so gradual that I didn't notice a difference until I replaced it.
I was getting small leaks (on average 3 L/min when they occurred ) but didn't realize that the headgear was the problem.
Now I'm back to no leaks.

chapa.r

Post by chapa.r » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

I have to keep it tight. His is the only mask that allows me to have a beard. The FFM F20 gave me to many leaks. WIth this one, I virtiualy have zero.

Attachments
me.jpg
me.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 556 times