Anyone with Hypothyroid problems here?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Muse-Inc

Re: Anyone with Hypothyroid problems here?

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:...I would love to know, asides from the common causes, what predisposes one to the affliction.
Research is narrowing in on perchlorate if memory serves me well. Tho BPA is also suspected. Both are now commonly found in our bodies.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

bedeer wrote:...Synthroid ,all was well, until I was falling into a depression that lasted for 2 1/2 years... horrible time.... too dark. then it was high cholesterol...
As TSH rises, so does cholesterol...no one seems to mention that to us! By the time, your TSH hits 4.2, your LDL cholesterol has risen 20-30%!!! Then, they treat that hypothyroid symptom by giving you statins, known to increase apnea problems, instead of getting the right dosage of thyroid med...this is nuts!

garyland

Post by garyland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

So why is my TSH at about 1.00 and my cholesterol at 300?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 pm

garyland wrote:So why is my TSH at about 1.00 and my cholesterol at 300?
If TRIs are also high, it typically means you are eating more carbs than your body can properly process...that screws up the lipids. If all other lipids are good (little or no Lp(a) and LDL particle size is large), then it might be the form of hyperlipidemia that's genetic. Good blog to read, cardiologist Davis http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 pm

fidelfs wrote: See if your daughter can have a benefit from having the natural thyroid instead the synthetic. The natural provides t3 and t4 and synthetic only t4 hoping to convert excess t4 into t3.

Check the website I posted before for a better explanation.
My daughter is now 21 and I am just her mother. Mothers know nothing except how to make you costumes, corsets, and prom dresses.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

TSSleepy

Post by TSSleepy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 pm

TSSleepy wrote:My TSH is on the high side (4.39 when last checked).
Got my new TSH number: 4.9 now. That blood was taken about 6 weeks into low carb dieting, losing ~30 pounds, and after ~11 months on APAP (as opposed to the 4.39 that was from over a year ago).

So neither treating sleep apnea, reducing my triglycerides/cholesterol, lowering my blood pressure, nor losing some weight has brought my TSH down. My doc says 4.9 isn't really that high and he'd like to wait until I lose more weight (or stall out in my weight loss) before treating it.

He did have me take lots of water sips while he felt for my thyroid in the physical today and he said it felt about right. I'm going in for another full round of blood tests in 3 months.

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:27 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
My daughter is now 21 and I am just her mother. Mothers know nothing except how to make you costumes, corsets, and prom dresses.
I hear you

My son has Hashimoto's and he is not taking the medication and he is only 18. I sat with him one day and explained him all the problems and possible medications and told him, this is the most I can do for you, it is up to you now. Good Luck.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am

Yes indeed,

Due to long term opiate therapy for chronic pain (I think) I have hypothalamic hypogonadism, hypothyroidism and the beginning of type II diabetes (also hypertension and morbid obesity (22 stone 7 pounds)).
I can relate to your difficulty.
Being from the UK, I don't have the choice of medication on the national health system that you guys from The Colonies have (just joking, no offence intended).

I wonder do you suffer from facial hot flushes due to the testosterone?
I'm assuming it's the testosterone that is doing it?
I take levothyroxine, which is just the generic version of synthroid and i'm sure a hell of a lot cheaper.
I lived in The Woodlands and Conroe area for many years and I know how expensive medication is in the USA.

Souns like we have a few things in common.

take care.

Padraic.

newyorknative

Post by newyorknative » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:09 am

Since when does weight loss lower ones TSH? That's news to me! BTW 4.9 is too high of a TSH.
TSSleepy wrote:
TSSleepy wrote:My TSH is on the high side (4.39 when last checked).
Got my new TSH number: 4.9 now. That blood was taken about 6 weeks into low carb dieting, losing ~30 pounds, and after ~11 months on APAP (as opposed to the 4.39 that was from over a year ago).

So neither treating sleep apnea, reducing my triglycerides/cholesterol, lowering my blood pressure, nor losing some weight has brought my TSH down. My doc says 4.9 isn't really that high and he'd like to wait until I lose more weight (or stall out in my weight loss) before treating it.

He did have me take lots of water sips while he felt for my thyroid in the physical today and he said it felt about right. I'm going in for another full round of blood tests in 3 months.