Covid/CPAP question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Berks

Covid/CPAP question

Post by Berks » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:45 am

I apologise if there's already a thread about this. I've been trying to search but my search function isn't working right right now.

I haven't been here in a while because I've had my CPAP stuff dialed in so again I haven't read anything about this. I'm pretty positive I have covid. My son does and my husband does. I'm vaxxed and boosted but am feeling sick and haven't left my house because of staggered quarantines in over 2 weeks. My sleep apnea is pretty well controlled and I use my CPAP religiously.

Usually when I get a cold I wait for it to pass and then clean my tubing and mask etc afterwards. When not sick I clean it sporadically (some time more frequent sometimes less) I was planning on cleaning after everyone in the house was healthy but now that I'm pretty sure I have it too (PCR results pending) should I be cleaning it regularly in between uses? This may sound like a stupid question but... Am I just breathing more covid into me each night I use it and it's going to make me sicker? Do I keep pulling covid into my lungs each night or reinfecting myself?

What's the best way for me to be using and cleaning my CPAP with covid?

Pugsy

Re: Covid/CPAP question

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:09 am

I would just treat it like I would any other respiratory illness that I was unlucky enough to catch.
A final post illness good thorough cleaning is probably enough but if someone just feels better with a thorough cleaning each day then they could sure do that.

I don't think that you would be getting into a cycle of reinfecting yourself because your body is going to be building up antibodies anyway.

Now if your mask gets yucky from snot or whatever....might want to do a little extra just from the yuck factor but I wouldn't worry about prolonging the illness just from contaminated equipment. Your body will build up defenses for this particular virus strain just like it does for any other virus.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Berks

Post by Berks » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:46 am

Thank you!

And covid won't stay in my machine and reinfect me?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 am

Number one there is really no way for the virus to get into the machine itself. It can't get inside.
Now of course it could get to the outside of your machine just from touching it but there's really nothing either inside or outside the machine itself to feed the virus. The virus will die either on its own from lack of something to feed upon or it is easily killed with maybe a alcohol swab wipe down of the outside of the machine.
Anything like the water chamber is easily disinfected but I just don't see coughing into the mask forcefully enough against air movement to have the virus make it into the mask and up the long hose into the water chamber.

Once you have had the virus or whatever particular variant or strain you are going to have a healthy immune system to fight it off IF you should be exposed to it again for at least some sort of period of time. The virus can't live on inanimate objects that long. While it is highly contagious when alive...it is really very easily killed off of inanimate objects.

What I would do if it were me is just wait until the illness has run its course and then I would wipe down the surfaces with alcohol or some other disinfectant that couldn't be washed...and wash whatever is washable with hot soapy water.
Probably change the filter as an extra layer of precaution.

This could be done daily if someone wishes and feels better doing it.

At the end of the illness a person could always just replace the mask and long hose and filter...and wipe down the machine...if that makes them feel better.

The virus can't get inside the machine and survive. No nutrients to keep it alive.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Berks

Post by Berks » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:40 am

While Pugsy knows everything about Cpaps and lots more, I might also want to talk to e.g. someone in a pulmonary function lab, or OSA testing lab, and of course MDs who DO understand how the machines work, etc... Would not want to assume anything re airborne virus(es) without trying to get solid info from pros.
Last edited by Julie on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:52 am

Julie wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:40 am
While Pugsy knows everything about Cpaps and lots more, I might also want to talik to e.g. someone in a pulmonary function lab, or OSA testing lab, and of course MDs who DO understand how the machines work, etc...
I can save Berks the time by telling her what those professionals will tell her. "Clean and disinfect the mask, hose, and machine before each use." :lol: :lol:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:33 pm

But few, if any, of them will warn you to steer clear of using an ozone machine;
because they either have no idea what a scam they are, or own stock in the company.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:33 am

Although COVID-19 won't live in your machine (even if it gets in), I agree you should wash it after the entire household has recovered. Let's just say it's "prudent."

Unless there's a physical reason (such as a machine induced headache or extreme nasal discomfort) you can't use the machine, you should use it throughout the illness.

However, be aware that the virus might be spread through the exhale ports, so you should not share the room with anybody else (including pets, who can also catch COVID-19).

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:00 pm

D.H. wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:33 am
Although COVID-19 won't live in your machine (even if it gets in), I agree you should wash it after the entire household has recovered.
Wash a CPAP machine. :evil:

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:50 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:00 pm
D.H. wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:33 am
Although COVID-19 won't live in your machine (even if it gets in), I agree you should wash it after the entire household has recovered.
Wash a CPAP machine. :evil:
Just chuck the whole thing into the dishwasher, leave it plugged in and running,...

Great idea, as always, DunderHead.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:27 pm

And put it in the dryer and tumble dry it on delicate.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 pm

If you have a roommate (spouse) who hasn't come down with it yet, you might want to move them to another room because your CO2 vent is spewing virus from your exhalation probably a greater distance than your normal exhalation. It's likely too late exposure-wise anyway, but if they have a robust immune system, you don't want to overwhelm the system.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 pm

Just a non-expert point of view - - I don't think you can exhale the virus into the machine because the exhale ports in the mask cause the exhale to be at the mask not in the machine.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask