Allergic to the silicone mask...help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
barrier seeker

Allergic to the silicone mask...help!

Post by barrier seeker » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:54 pm

After two nights of absolute bliss, I began experiencing what I thought were pressure welts that cause skin lacerations. I've been thru 4 different full face masks, 1 Mirage and all 3 fitting sizes on a Flexi-fit. So, it isn't a size issue. A medical doctor diagnosed a contact dermatitis reaction to the silicone and recommended seeking a mask made out of some other material. My equipment provider (Apria) said there is no other mask material available and the only solution would be switching to a Breeze nasal pillow system as it doesn't contact the face. I tried willing myself through sheer determination and chin strap assistance to retrain myself to nasal breathing, but gave up after 6 long and miserable hours. It seems like full face is unfortunately my only option. The respiratory therapist indicated that he knew of no successful full face-to-nasal conversions and doesn't not know of anyone who has experienced my condition. I am so frustrated and defeated at this point, I can't believe there is no solution. I called a local medical supply store today and asked about those hoods or fabric masks that burn victims use. I'd have to travel 2 hours to the closest manufacturer for fitting into a burn garment mask. At this point, I'm waiting for my skin to heal and then thinking about trying this or a ski mask/balaclava to provide a barrier between the plastic and my skin. I saw something about a foam insert that could be used with a nasal mask system on the web, but nothing about full face inserts or barriers. I really hate living this way, especially after experiencing the euphoria of real sleep. Any help or advice you could provide would be SO appreciated.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:00 pm

barrier seeker,

Your medical proffesionals won't recomend this to you, but many of us tape our mouths when we have mouth leak issues. Try doing a search of the forum for threads on mouth taping.
Last edited by wading thru the muck! on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

barrier seeker

Thanks Wading,

Post by barrier seeker » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:19 pm

I thought of tape, but feared that it would instigate either a new variety of skin irritation and/or a panic reaction. It's not even really a leak, it's more like just as I drop off there is a kind of click in the back of my throat and air forces against my closed mouth trying to exit?
-still seeking...

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:45 pm

did you wash the mask before ever using it? and do you wash your face before putting on the mask at night? Have you tried washing the mask with a soap like ivory or one your already used to? What have you been washing the mask with?

You get a concentration of skin oils between the mask and your skin, that can cause irritation.

Many have a reaction to latex masks but most cpap masks are made of silicone.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Allergic to silicone... mouth-breather...

I never realized all masks were silicone. The problem with putting some sort of material between your face and the mask is you will compromise the seal and get leaks. But aside from taping your mouth shut, it may be your only option. Chin straps don't seem to work.

Lots of people use tape without any issues of panic or skin irritation. You may find it solves your problem if it's an idea you're comfortable trying. Do you know if you're allergic to adhesive? Maybe wait until your face has healed and try using the Breeze and taping one night to see if it works for you?

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:02 am

Did you try soaking the masks before their first use in warm soapy water? Soaking any new mask for 30 minutes to an hour is recommended by mask manufacturers, and worked for me when I first used a nasal mask. After that first experience I automatically soak any new mask - or mask part - that is soakable.

Severeena has manage to create a simple barrier out of cotton material to put between her older Full Face mask and her face, without compromising the seal. Don't get shocked at the subject's whimsical name Directions for Toilet Seat covering - that's what the barrier looks like....

I took my about 8 or months to decide to dare taping my mouth. I am allergic to bandaid adhesive. I tried 3M Micropore Hypoallergenic - and have no skin reaction at all.

To handle the panic:
* Fold in the outer edges of the tape so you have an easy grip to pull it off (I first read this simple, wise common sense suggestion in a post by Rested Gal - an amazing and generous solution finder, our Lab Rat Extraordinaire).

* Try taping and untaping your mouth while you're awake, and feel comfortable - not even in bed.

* Train yourself in putting it on and taking it off, until you are absolutely convinced you can remove it immediately, at will - don't even wait for yourself to panic. Just on - off until you're convinced.

* After you've convinced yourself that you can take the tape off at will, try to keep it on -- but

* Make a firm promise to yourself that you will remove the tape the minute you feel even slightly uncomfortable - no ifs buts or arguments.

* Make just as firm a promise to yourself that you will put the tape back on again - and take it off, just because you want to.

I hope one of those suggestions helps - lets us know how you're doing.

O.

dkeat

Another Option

Post by dkeat » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:29 am

I agree, you should try mouth taping. It has worked for me. Try different tapes until you find one that will not irritate your skin.

The other option might be to try the Oracle mask. It is a "mouth" device and is like a divers mouthpiece. You breath only through the mouth. It has drawbacks, but what mask doesn't? It is at least worth a shot.

Good luck.

barrier seeker

Post by barrier seeker » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:14 pm

Wow! Many thanks to Wading, Snoredog, Guest, ozij, and dkeat!!

I really appreciate your helpful advice, it's great to not feel alone in the wilderness. I've been without a server all weekend and couldn't wait to see if I had any more replies. What a nice surprise to receive all your words of wisdom.

OK, I'm feeling pretty confident about the tape thing and have some 3m micropore tape to experiment with tonight...will let you know.

I did soak and wash everything meticulously with Johnson's Baby Shampoo after not doing so with the first mask back in December. That may have contributed to getting the irritation started. My brother, who is an epidemiologist, is suspicious of the silicone allergy diagnosis as it is a very inert substance and yes, the solution to latex irritation. He thinks it must be pressure induced, so not sure if a barrier will actually solve the problem.

I went into a wide grin when I read ozij's recommendation to try Severeena's fabric cure. Yes, I think her idea will be a lifesaver for me if I can't do the tape thing. I tried it last weekend by cutting up a super soft pillow case into lovely triangle's using pinking shears to avoid the sewing work. It really didn't believe it wouldn't leak, since I had tried band-aids which seemed to induce leaking and figured there couldn't be anything between the mask and skin or there would be leaks. It was amazing, worked great, once I figured out how to keep it in place while putting on the mask using small pieces of micropore tape in strategic locations. Slept Great, but unfortunately, with open wounds still on my face it smashed the fabric into them and my skin wasn't able to heal. So, that will be my Plan B after the skin finally heals.

Really looking forward to not seeing the questioning flash in people's eye's when they see me and having to launch into my apnea saga. Definitely curious about this Oracle Mask, will look into that.
-Thanks again, Now Hopeful Seeker

Joano

Re: Allergic to the silicone mask...help!

Post by Joano » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm

If you are indeed sensitive to Silicone, beware of the Oracle oral mask. I have been using it successfully ( mouth breather ) for over 6 months now after trying 3 other types. ( all of which made my face and eyes swell up ) Woke one morning. 2 weeks ago with it feeling too tight. Lips were swollen and painful. Readjusted it, but problem persisted. Then one night after 15 minutes of trunk to fall asleep I experienced severe burning pain in my lips and nose. Took it off and next night made a makeshift barrier out of Saran Wrap, tried it, and no more burning. Not a very good solution as it is difficult to keep in place and if any part of my lips come in contact with the mask, I wake up,with pain and swelling. I am still trying to come up with a solution. The Oracle mask is a bit like a snorkel, a part fits in your mouth and there are two parts to the silicone mask..one fits in front of your teeth and the other over outer lips, so there is contact both insid and outside . I hope you solved your issues. I know silicone allergy is rare but not impossible so don’t give up!! I may have to resort to a nasal mask and try taping my mouth. ( which would make some people happy!! )

DeepFriedDuck

Post by DeepFriedDuck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Joano wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm
I hope you solved your issues.
Here is a tip for new members. Check the date of posts before replying. This thread is over twelve years old.

Welcome to the forum.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Circadiance makes Sleepweaver cpap masks. CLOTH.
Cpap.com sells them. Free return insurance.
DME may not WANT to order one for you, but the right kind of pressure . . .

So much for those who failed to see the date of the first post.
(My stupid phone doesn't show it in the list display)
Just the last post. (Donald duck rant)

Baja

Post by Baja » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 am

I like Chunkyfrog's suggestion.

There are also fabric liners available. I tried several of them before settling on a chin strap and p10 for my needs.

Here is a supplier that sews them by hand and will readily accept custom orders:

http://www.padacheek.com

EDIT: I just noticed the OP date as well. LOL. Maybe this will help someone else.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 am

My two cents: must soak new mask and hose (at least a few hrs) before using to get rid of mfg residues. My skin is sensitive to some soaps *sigh* so I ended up washing in Dawn, rinsing, few mins soak in 30:70 white vinegar:water (to get rid of soap residue), then rinse well and dry.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

I also thought I was sensitive to silicone... a year later, there are no issues. not sure if as others have mentioned it was the vinegar rinses... or I also just figured out how to put the mask on lighter, and I think I built up some thickness of skin possibly. IE you may just have sensitive skin and pressure sores. it seems fine to me now. This was with a nasal mask, but I also got sores from some full face ones.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Silicone allergies are extremely rare.
Case in point: this thread is 12 YEARS old.
Allergies to inorganic materials are next to impossible.
Unfortunately, silicone absorbs some volatile substances from the environment.
Sensitivity to any one of these could be at fault--with no practical way to identify it.
The best plan is to clean the dickens out of the silicone and hope for the best.