Diagnosed Apnea CPAP treatment led to Tinnitus then Menieres

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stetur

Diagnosed Apnea CPAP treatment led to Tinnitus then Menieres

Post by stetur » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Glad for this forum and wanted to share that my experience has been quite the opposite of many folks on this site. Began CPAP use Oct 2015 then began Tinnitus March 2016 and Diagnosed with Menieres Disease Aug 2016. With two debilitating episodes of vertigo/vomiting, loosing hearing 4 times with prescribe steroids; I'm a little unhappy with current medication options(diuretic nausea control) and wondering if all three conditions are related?
Currently in Month 4 of expensive Blair Upper cervical chiropractor alignment with no progress as yet. Remaining hopeful to explore mind set,exercises, and food sensitivities that may have begun this uninteresting journey of Insomnia, Apnea,Tinnitus, & subsequent Menieres. Resmed Airsense 10

Julie

Re: Diagnosed Apnea CPAP treatment led to Tinnitus then Menieres

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi, it's quite possible the Meniere's and tinnitus are/were related, but neither should be related to Cpap (or OSA), just coincidental I think.

I personally would never see a chiropractor for any cervical issues if my life depended on it (have worked for neurologists for most of it) and would not mess much with generally useless (and possibly problematic) alternative meds or diets.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I didn't see anything in these links that mentioned the cause could be related to CPAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni ... 7s_disease

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20374910

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/menieres-disease/

https://www.healthline.com/health/menieres-disease

By the way, you didn't mention what pressure your machine is set to.
The Airsense 10 you mentioned is basically a non-data-capable "brick".
It would be in your best interests to get a machine that collects complete data.......like an Autoset.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:13 pm

stetur wrote:Currently in Month 4 of expensive Blair Upper cervical chiropractor alignment with no progress as yet.
The progress is money out of your pockets into the chiropractor's pockets. Go to real doctors. Have you researched chiropractic? It's a fraud, see, for example:
The scientific community, as a whole, vehemently opposes the inclusion of chiropractics as a legitimate healing art. Studies of chiropractics’ possible health benefits have been inconclusive, and proponents’ arguments have not been accepted by prominent medical associations. Further, medical professionals are leery of questionable “spiritual” elements sometimes associated with the practice.

For instance, the Capital Medical Society, an association of more than 500 Tallahassee-area doctors, unanimously voted Jan. 4 to oppose the school (of chiropractic at FSU).

FSU’s faculty has spoken as well. At least seven medical school professors have threatened to resign if the program is approved, and 30 faculty members collectively took out a full-page ad in the Tallahassee Democrat in protest.

http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... -lack.html
stetur wrote:Diagnosed Apnea CPAP treatment led to Tinnitus then Menieres
Sleep apnea, not CPAP, is thought to contribute to Meniere's disease:
The Potential Link with Sleep Apnea
Most doctors don’t link sleep apnea with Ménière’s disease, but some have pointed out a potentially significant connection. One potential contributor to Ménière’s disease is restricted blood flow to the inner ear. This leads to the expansion of the endolymphatic sac. This distension of the endolymphatic sac is often seen as the immediate cause of Ménière’s disease, and is the target of both surgical and nonsurgical treatments.

Researchers have proposed that sleep apnea could contribute to this disease process by contributing to atherosclerosis. This may partially be the snoring, whose vibrations cause tiny injuries to the blood vessels, leading to scarring and then blockage of the blood vessels. This can lead to hearing loss, but may also contribute to Ménière’s disease.

There’s little direct evidence of this connection, and no large studies that demonstrate the connection. There is, however, a pilot study showing that sleep apnea treatment with CPAP helps resolve Ménière’s disease. In this study, patients received only CPAP, not any of the standard treatments for Ménière’s disease. However, their Ménière’s disease symptoms improved.

See also

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23989598

CONCLUSION:
Recent reports have suggested that OSAS may cause dysfunction of the vestibular system. We investigated whether standard therapy for OSAS would be of benefit in the management of vertigo and hearing loss in Ménière's disease patients. Our study cohort demonstrated significant improvement in both DHI and audiometric testing following solitary CPAP therapy for OSAS. Solitary CPAP therapy may become a new effective treatment strategy for Ménière's disease patients with OSAS, not just only for control of dizziness and vertigo but also for potential benefit of hearing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094927
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Wulfman... wrote:I didn't see anything in these links that mentioned the cause could be related to CPAP.
In fact, CPAP could be a good treatment for Meniere's. See my post above.

nolongersleepless

Post by nolongersleepless » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I had similar problem when starting with the cpap. Both tinnitus and Menieres could be caused by clenching your teeth. I did this when first using a nasal pillow because I was worried about mouth leak and developed pretty serious temporomandibular joint pain. My dentist told me how to properly position my jaw as I was going to sleep and have not had any problems since. As you are getting ready to fall asleep, put your tongue gently on the roof of your mouth (as if you are about to say the letter T). This really helped with my TMJ and also really decreased mouth leak as well.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:I didn't see anything in these links that mentioned the cause could be related to CPAP.
In fact, CPAP could be a good treatment for Meniere's. See my post above.
I did see that.
Unfortunately, the OP apparently doesn't have a fully-data-capable machine to monitor his/her therapy. And, he/she may not be aware that there is software to do that either. Like flying blind and your instruments don't work.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05