Itchy nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jerseyguy

Itchy nose

Post by Jerseyguy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 am

Had a bad time going to bed got a very itchy nose. Is there something I can do? Because of my fidgeting with my mask I took it off in the middle of the night

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

AMESS

Re: Itchy nose

Post by AMESS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 am

Hmmm--clean the nose piece with soap and water or cpap wipes. Allergic to silicone?? Yes I fidget too--take it off then put back.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 am

The nose itch is not uncommon for newbies.
Using an unscented baby wipe on the nose right before masking up helped me;
but giving the nose/face a vigorous scrub with a terry washcloth can help desensitize the skin.
Often the itch is psychological, and mentally focusing on the itch can drive it away without scratching.
(I learned this technique when I had a cast on my leg)
Good luck!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am

Jerseyguy wrote:Had a bad time going to bed got a very itchy nose. Is there something I can do? Because of my fidgeting with my mask I took it off in the middle of the night
Wash your face before going to bed. Just before you put the mask on, lightly scrub your nose with a dry, cotton washcloth. This helps desensitize the nerve endings.

- or -

Switch to nasal pillows. You can scratch your nose while wearing them. https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-p ... p-mask.php

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:Had a bad time going to bed got a very itchy nose. Is there something I can do? Because of my fidgeting with my mask I took it off in the middle of the night

Trim your nose hair. Everybody says "but it doesn't itch in my nose"... but that's not how it works.

Air blowing around, blows nostril hair, which signals the brain 'something's wrong, maybe it's a bug, scratch to get it to fly away".... and somewhere on or around your nose itches.

Numerous reports of people having success after a trim.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jasba64

Post by Jasba64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I've been fighting the itchy nose for over a year. I wash my face right before bed and wash my mask, daily. It's the air tickling the nose. Has nothing to do with nose hair. I use a full face mask.

Jerseyguy

Post by Jerseyguy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Jasba64 wrote:I've been fighting the itchy nose for over a year. I wash my face right before bed and wash my mask, daily. It's the air tickling the nose. Has nothing to do with nose hair. I use a full face mask.
I know it will be worth it but my routine to sleep is becoming lengthy. It takes like 30 minutes to complete. Wash my face my mask get any remaining water drops out of my humidifier tank run the mask fit program, etc. I'm going to try some benadryl ointment and if I have to go to the store I might buy a nose trimmer

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm

"ChicagoGranny
Wash your face before going to bed. Just before you put the mask on, lightly scrub your nose with a dry, cotton washcloth. This helps desensitize the nerve endings."
I wholeheartedly endorse the dry cotton washcloth scrub. It works for me.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 am

RiverDave wrote:I wholeheartedly endorse the dry cotton washcloth scrub. It works for me.
+1

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
Jasba64 wrote:I've been fighting the itchy nose for over a year. I wash my face right before bed and wash my mask, daily. It's the air tickling the nose. Has nothing to do with nose hair. I use a full face mask.
I know it will be worth it but my routine to sleep is becoming lengthy. It takes like 30 minutes to complete. Wash my face my mask get any remaining water drops out of my humidifier tank run the mask fit program, etc. I'm going to try some benadryl ointment and if I have to go to the store I might buy a nose trimmer

What the hell is the purpose of this???? Thats like washing and drying your car before you take it out in the rain. Once you have your mask adjusted, there is no point in running the mask fit program, Just put it on and go to sleep..Adjust leaks as needed.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 am

Yeah, oops! Probably meant something else.
Drying out the tank before refilling it seems weird;
but logic does not always follow sleepy.
I have been so sleepy that I have done odd things.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Here's a trick that often works. Right before you put your mask on, scratch your nose. Give it a really good, satisfying scratch, then put the mask right on.

This works because it activates neurological "accommodation". Ever walk into a room where there's a very distinctive smell, and then in a few minutes you can't smell it anymore unless you focus? That's because your brain "accommodates" that sensory input. So if you give the nose a lot of tactile input by scratching it, the theory is you won't feel the little tickle.

It doesn't work 100%, but most people find it really does help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm