Mask Merry-Go-Round

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
manich

Mask Merry-Go-Round

Post by manich » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm

I am wondering, what is the "guess" of the average number of different type masks cpap users try during their first year or two, before they find the "right one"? I got started 5 weeks ago with a Resmed N30i nasal, then tried the Dreamwear nasal cushion, then back to the N30i, and am now trying my wife's "abandoned" F20 full mask. Getting tired of fighting mouth leaks and taping doesn't work very well with my beard.

LSAT

Re: Mask Merry-Go-Round

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:31 pm

If you have mouth leaks...mouth breather....you are spinning your wheels by continuing to try nasal masks without taping. Its tape or full face mask.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:15 pm

manich wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm
I am wondering, what is the "guess" of the average number of different type masks cpap users try during their first year or two, before they find the "right one"?
finding that "forever mask" is a bit of a hunt for people, that's for sure. i got lucky in that the 3rd mask i tried was it.

then there are folks like pugsy, who will buy a mask just to see what it's like.

and iirc, palerider settled on the first one he tried.

weird, innit?
Last edited by zonker on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:45 pm

manich wrote:
I am wondering, what is the "guess" of the average number of different type masks cpap users try during their first year or two, before they find the "right one"? I got started 5 weeks ago with a Resmed N30i nasal, then tried the Dreamwear nasal cushion, then back to the N30i, and am now trying my wife's "abandoned" F20 full mask. Getting tired of fighting mouth leaks and taping doesn't work very well with my beard.
It took me a while. I started out with the dream wear, tried several pillow masks, a full face mask or two and finally settled on the N-20. I probably tried 7-8 masks. Thanks to pugsys box of spare masks. Once I discovered I could sleep with the N-20 I never looked back. Thought hard about trying the bleep but never did.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:42 am

Im 6wks in and am on number 4. I tried probably 10 of them at the office and started with the N30i that aggravated my tmj. Traded it in for N30 which I love.

Somewhere in between I got a hold of a P10 and bleep. Didn’t care for the P10 but I like the bleep.

So now I alternate between the bleep and N30, both of which I like but am excited about upcoming newer version.

So yeah it takes time sometimes but don’t give up hope.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Oday03274

Post by Oday03274 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:12 am

manich wrote:
I personally don't understand how anyone...mouth breather or not...can use a nose only mask, for me, as soon as I relax air just comes out of my lips even though my mouth is closed which wakes me right up due to the nose and odd sensation. Because my nose tends to get stuffed up from the cpap there is no way I can tape my mouth shut, I would literally die. I'm only a couple of masks in (this round of cpap) I'm trying the dreamweaver and the F30i, both of which don't line up with my nostrils at all and also leak around the sides of my nose, If I crank down on the straps very hard I can get it to seal, sort of, but then it hurts like hell after a couple of hours, my next attempt will be an over the nose type.
In my first try 10 years ago I tried probably 10 masks to include home made variations and ultimately gave up and opted for o2, it does nothing for apneas but at least it keeps my o2 from tanking into the 70s...Good luck!

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 am

Oday03274 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:12 am
manich wrote:
I personally don't understand how anyone...mouth breather or not...can use a nose only mask, for me, as soon as I relax air just comes out of my lips even though my mouth is closed which wakes me right up due to the nose and odd sensation. Because my nose tends to get stuffed up from the cpap there is no way I can tape my mouth shut, I would literally die. I'm only a couple of masks in (this round of cpap) I'm trying the dreamweaver and the F30i, both of which don't line up with my nostrils at all and also leak around the sides of my nose, If I crank down on the straps very hard I can get it to seal, sort of, but then it hurts like hell after a couple of hours, my next attempt will be an over the nose type.
In my first try 10 years ago I tried probably 10 masks to include home made variations and ultimately gave up and opted for o2, it does nothing for apneas but at least it keeps my o2 from tanking into the 70s...Good luck!

I am a mouth breather during the day but at night I use a nasal only mask and I do not tape. I followed someone else's advice the very first night I tried a nasal mask and it worked. Stuck my tongue to the roof of my mouth held my lips together and concentrated on breathing through my nose till I fell asleep. Once I was asleep my mouth never fell open. With the air flowing through the mask it keeps my nose open all night. I just have to get over that first hump and get my nose clear before I lay down.
Flonase usually does the trick. On nights I'm desperate and super congested inhaling vicks vapo rub works.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:11 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 am
Oday03274 wrote:
manich wrote:

I am a mouth breather during the day but at night I use a nasal only mask and I do not tape. I followed someone else's advice the very first night I tried a nasal mask and it worked. Stuck my tongue to the roof of my mouth held my lips together and concentrated on breathing through my nose till I fell asleep. Once I was asleep my mouth never fell open. With the air flowing through the mask it keeps my nose open all night. I just have to get over that first hump and get my nose clear before I lay down.
Flonase usually does the trick. On nights I'm desperate and super congested inhaling vicks vapo rub works.
Thats pretty impressive for someone that was having 122 AHI BabyDino.

I hope the OP doesn't give up.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:47 am

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:11 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 am

Thats pretty impressive for someone that was having 122 AHI BabyDino.

I hope the OP doesn't give up.
Thank you. I'm stubborn or this thing would have been out the window the first few weeks I had it. Thanks to a lot of help from Pugsy and PR I am normally below 1 ahi now. Its worth the effort to stick with it IMO. I can't erase the damage I've already done but I can sure as heck keep any further damage from happening.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:50 am

Manich, one thought: have you tried wearing a soft cervical collar, which will support your lower jaw? For some people, that makes a big difference in dealing with mouth leaks.

Also, Baby D mentioned tongue position. To go into more detail: Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 am

Oday03274 wrote:

I personally don't understand how anyone...mouth breather or not...can use a nose only mask, for me, as soon as I relax air just comes out of my lips even though my mouth is closed which wakes me right up due to the nose and odd sensation.
i'm a mouth breather. use the p10 which is nasal pillows. i use the follow method, from forum friend jay aitchsee-
viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296

works a treat, as our british friends would say.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:16 pm

2 masks. I used the pillow mask, used in my split-night sleep study f,or approx 2 yrs. Then, with the help here, I successfully transitioned to the Innomed(now RespCare) Universal Hybrid. I had become a mouth breather and could no longer use Afrin to manage my nightly closed nose.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

manich

Post by manich » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:31 pm
If you have mouth leaks...mouth breather....you are spinning your wheels by continuing to try nasal masks without taping. Its tape or full face mask.
I am not a mouth breather. But during the night, after my CPAP ramps up to 11, air is forced out past my closed lips.

Since the N30i and Dreamwear nasal pillows were creating some nostril discomfort/pain after a number of nights, I tried my wife's F20 full mask. It is a small so is a little uncomfortable, but I think a med might work.