Dreamstation power up blast

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jtech1

Dreamstation power up blast

Post by jtech1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 am

When I press the start button on top of my Dreamstation (not the ramp button), a couple seconds later it sends a blast of air through the mask for 2-3 seconds, then seems to operate at a higher than normal pressure for 5-10 minutes before settling down... my levels are set at min and max of 9.5 with Flex of 1. No ramp.

1) What is the blast for at the start? I usually put my mask on before turning machine on... should I be resisting the blast, allowing to flow through my mouth? Or not putting mask on until after blast is done? Can't find any info in manual about what the blast is for.

2) Is the 5-10 minutes of higher pressure just my own imagination or is it real? During the night I hardly notice I am wearing the mask... when I wake up during the night I usually think the system shut off since it is almost unnoticeable... but before falling asleep it seems like much higher pressure... is it all in my mind?

Pugsy

Re: Dreamstation power up blast

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

I think it is in your mind.
It seems powerful at first but the brain and body quickly adjusts to it. It's what I call it when the hurricane force winds become a gentle breeze.

There shouldn't be any real "blast" of pressure....look at your software pressure graphs...it just feels like a blast.
I get it every night and have for over 8 years. Just takes a few seconds for my brain to adjust to those hurricane force winds...and they really aren't all that high but it seems that they are.

As for how to best address them when you first put the mask on...I just us the auto on function available on my machine and let my breathing trigger the pressure and I breathe with it for a few seconds and I am good to go and the hurricane is reduced to a gentle breeze...in my mind.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 pm

When a XPAP turns on it puts out full air flow, until the mask is in place. (It's trying to meet the need, high air volume, pressure low) When the mask is on the controls take over, volume drops until treatment pressure is met.

It's not going to blow the top of your head off, I take it as a chance to blow spiders out of my hose. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Maybe you figured out a way to run ramp in reverse??

jim22

Post by jim22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 pm

Many people, myself included, do not use the ramp feature, but a short, small ramp might make that first couple minutes more comfortable. Maybe just a few cmH2O for just a couple minutes.
Jim
I see your pressure is 9.5, maybe start the ramp at 7.5. 9.5 really isn't much, if you are new to CPAP, you will find it you get used to it soon.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask