Starting process to get a new machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lilly747

Starting process to get a new machine

Post by lilly747 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi everybody. It's been a long time since I have posted anything. Good to see old familiar names that are still here.

I see the doctor today to stat the process of getting a new machine. I hope I goes much better than it did the first time when I was given a Brick and told I was not using it when I was. If not for Pugsy, I think I would have had a complete break down. I am not looking forward to this process again I did not realize I was still carrying around a lot of anger until I had to make this appt. Yes I do have a question, and thinks for letting me unload so feelings. I owe so much to this board and the people on it who have helped me.

Pugsy I see you are using a AirSense AutoSet for Her and I know in the past you have used a BiLevel too. I have been using a S9 VPAP Auto BiLevel. I am pretty sure I will not be able to get another BiLevel unless I first fail the CPAP. How does the AutoSet compare with the BiLevel? I was thinking, if the Autoset would work for me it would save me a lot of fighting with the system. Any thoughts as I start this process wold be much welcomed. And that goes for anybody else too. I could use some help and some support.

Thanks JSL

Pugsy

Re: Starting process to get a new machine

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Refresh my memory please...how did you end up with the VPAP? I remember the name only and not the particulars.
It's not the ASV (Adapt) is it????

What are your current settings?

If you satisfied the requirements for bilevel initially there shouldn't be any need to satisfy them again or even do another sleep study.

I actually like the AirSense 10 AutoSet just fine. I am using the 3 EPR to give me the bilevel that I like and while I would prefer 4 cm pressure support that I could get on the bilevel...I am okay with 3 and I couldn't find a new AirCurve bilevel cheap enough. but I found the AirSense 10 for her (and I had been wanting to try the for her algorithm anyway).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Pugsy..Well I could not get my Apnea Index down. It was running around 20 and had lots of centrals. And no I do not have an adapt it's an auto bilevel though, a Resamed which i want to stay with. I non't want to change brands. My doctor marked I failed the CPAP auto, after I got one, it took me 3 months to get rid of that brick and get the CPAP auto with full data. That's when I found out that my leaks were so bad that the brick was showing I was not even using it.....of course I was, but they did not believe me until I got the Auto with data. It was 4 months getting that Auto Bilevel...I was so exhausted from lack of sleep I was sick by that time so that may have been why it was so hard to dial me in. Maybe that's why I failed the AutoSet and it could work for me now.

Settings
Max IPAP 17
Min EPAP 11
PS 1
Insp Pressure 13.6
Exp Pressure 12.6

I

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Also most of my Apneas are central. And I though you had to redo the sleep study for Medicare?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm

No, most of the time Medicare won't make you redo the sleep study or whatever because you already had one that they are happy with.
Medicare doesn't want to spend anymore money than they just absolutely have to.

Now I remember you.

Given that your PS is 1 (would equal EPR at 1 on the AutoSet) you probably would do well with the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
You aren't using the bilevel in terms of function any differently than you could also use the AutoSet but I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't go ahead and replace the current machine.

Medicare has sort of got away from the automatic 5 year thing and now they tend to want the old machine to be broken or not functioning properly before they will replace it. I sometimes wonder if the DME just tells a little white lie about the machine acting up and that's how Medicare comes through for a lot of people but I don't know.

If it were me I would play dumb and act like I expected a new machine that was essentially the exact same machine as I had been using.
If you give the DME a way out to supply you with a cheaper machine they might do it and there is the AirStart 10 APAP which is a brick and doesn't even do a heated hose that they might try to substitute.

If it were me I would expect the AirCurve 10 VAuto and not accept anything less. You never know....someday you might need more than that 17 IPAP.

Though between you and me....the AirSense 10 AutoSet with EPR at 1 would probably work very well for you.
We would just set the machine at minimum pressure of 12 with EPR at 1 (that would give you 11 EPAP) and set the max to 17.

While EPR is very similar to PS...it's not exactly the same but most people won't feel the difference. When I compared EPR to PS I could barely discern a little bit of difference in the timing of the exhale. Very tiny difference but then I was specifically looking for it.

Do you have a supplement that picks up your 20% copay?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Pugsy thanks so mush for your help. Yes I have insurance that will pay for the 20%. I will follow your advice.

xxyzx Thanks but I assure you I do not need an ASV, not even close.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 pm

I was checking out the new ResMed bilevel AirCurve 10 Auto and did not see anything on it's ability to report to DME. Does it report data to DME? If so what can be done about it?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm

The AirCurve and AirSense 10 models have SD cards and they also have a wireless method of data transmission via cellular towers.
The machines have airplane mode available to turn off the wireless transmission of data so that DMEs would be forced to use the SD card contents.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm

lilly747 wrote:Hi Pugsy..Well I could not get my Apnea Index down. It was running around 20 and had lots of centrals. And no I do not have an adapt it's an auto bilevel though, a Resamed which i want to stay with. I non't want to change brands. My doctor marked I failed the CPAP auto, after I got one, it took me 3 months to get rid of that brick and get the CPAP auto with full data. That's when I found out that my leaks were so bad that the brick was showing I was not even using it.....of course I was, but they did not believe me until I got the Auto with data. It was 4 months getting that Auto Bilevel...I was so exhausted from lack of sleep I was sick by that time so that may have been why it was so hard to dial me in. Maybe that's why I failed the AutoSet and it could work for me now.

Settings
Max IPAP 17
Min EPAP 11
PS 1
Insp Pressure 13.6
Exp Pressure 12.6

I
sounds like grounds to sue the brick company or the docs for blocking the auto for 4 months. Just a thought.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:
lilly747 wrote:Hi Pugsy..Well I could not get my Apnea Index down. It was running around 20 and had lots of centrals. And no I do not have an adapt it's an auto bilevel though, a Resamed which i want to stay with. I non't want to change brands. My doctor marked I failed the CPAP auto, after I got one, it took me 3 months to get rid of that brick and get the CPAP auto with full data. That's when I found out that my leaks were so bad that the brick was showing I was not even using it.....of course I was, but they did not believe me until I got the Auto with data. It was 4 months getting that Auto Bilevel...I was so exhausted from lack of sleep I was sick by that time so that may have been why it was so hard to dial me in. Maybe that's why I failed the AutoSet and it could work for me now.

Settings
Max IPAP 17
Min EPAP 11
PS 1
Insp Pressure 13.6
Exp Pressure 12.6

I

sounds like grounds to sue the brick company or the docs for blocking the auto for 4 months. Just a thought.
Yea I Threaten to get an attorney: it worked. After I got my bilevel I went with another DME. Not that any of them are all that great. I just don't want to go through the fight again. And when they find out that my setting do not match my Rx, well I don't know..it may be...here we go again. I know one thing, I don't want my machine reporting to anybody or thing...lol