Sleep Study completed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newbie312

Sleep Study completed

Post by Newbie312 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:17 am

I just had my first sleep study done on Wednesday and my follow up is on the 27th. I have been completed exhausted for a long time now and have had uncontrolled hypertension since I was diagnosed many years ago. I recently had a open muscle biopsy performed for unrelated issue and the anesthesiologist told me I had sleep apnea which is why I just had study done. I know any answers to my questions here won't be as good as I will get from my doctor but I always hate waiting lol.

The technician who did my study said they usually get results back within 24 hours. Would it be out of the question for me to call Monday to see if they will give me any results over phone?

Is it a bad sign that the technician came into my room to make sure the thing that goes into nose and mouth to measure breathing was on right? They came in checked and said it was in the right position.

Also when it was all over I asked if I had stopped breathing at all. They didn't answer that question but said there are other types of apneas besides obstructive including Central and complex and that shallow breathing can cause hypopnea which bring you out of sleep. I aksed if I slept long enough as well and was told they had sufficient data for what my issue is.

Am I crazy to think I might have CSA? When drinking sometimes or when I took opiate pain killers I have noticed that I sometimes wake up unable to breath even for a few seconds after I'm awake or if I am awake it feels like there is no resistance when I breath if that makes sense.

Anyways again I'm not looking for medical advice but more thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Okie bipap

Re: Sleep Study completed

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am

The sleep lab will not tell you anything. The results must be released through the doctor's office. Irregular breathing when you are half awake / half asleep is very common. We refer to it as sleep / wake junk (SWJ).

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:03 am

Newbie312 wrote: The technician who did my study said they usually get results back within 24 hours. Would it be out of the question for me to call Monday to see if they will give me any results over phone?
Usually, they are not allowed to tell you anything important. It will have to come from the doctor.

Is it a bad sign that the technician came into my room to make sure the thing that goes into nose and mouth to measure breathing was on right? They came in checked and said it was in the right position.
Were you awake at the time, or did they wake you? During my sleep study, I woke up and needed to use the bathroom. At the time, I didn't realize it was normal for sleep apnea. I was trying to go back to sleep rather than call for help since I would need the wires unhooked. The tech came in, said something about checking the wires, and I was able to take a bathroom break without calling for help. I suspect they are used to seeing this a lot. They can see that we are awake, maybe fidgeting; but they know we don't want to call for help. So, they break the ice by "checking" something.

Also when it was all over I asked if I had stopped breathing at all. They didn't answer that question but said there are other types of apneas besides obstructive including Central and complex and that shallow breathing can cause hypopnea which bring you out of sleep. I aksed if I slept long enough as well and was told they had sufficient data for what my issue is.
I was told in advance that the techs were not allowed to give me the results, so please do not ask. I did a split night study with both diagnosis and titration the same night. Since they woke me and started the titration, I knew I had some type of sleep apnea and had met the minimum requirements early enough to move on to the titration. I did ask one question. Did the cpap go up in pressure while I was asleep. Since it did, and I didn't notice, I figured that was a good thing, and I might be able to make this work. I was really surprised that I pretty much rolled over and slept for 5 hours straight with the cpap. Best night in years.

Am I crazy to think I might have CSA? When drinking sometimes or when I took opiate pain killers I have noticed that I sometimes wake up unable to breath even for a few seconds after I'm awake or if I am awake it feels like there is no resistance when I breath if that makes sense.

Thanks!
It's possible, but I am sure the tech was trying to be vague as they are not allowed to give that type of info. It sounds like you do have some type of sleep apnea since they want to do the titration. But you will have to wait for the details. I know it is frustrating. After my first good night of sleep, I was anxious to get going with the doctor appointment and getting my own machine.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Were you awake at the time, or did they wake you? During my sleep study, I woke up and needed to use the bathroom. At the time, I didn't realize it was normal for sleep apnea. I was trying to go back to sleep rather than call for help since I would need the wires unhooked. The tech came in, said something about checking the wires, and I was able to take a bathroom break without calling for help. I suspect they are used to seeing this a lot. They can see that we are awake, maybe fidgeting; but they know we don't want to call for help. So, they break the ice by "checking" something.

I was sleeping when tech came in and looked like they were trying not to wake me but they did . They apologized at end for waking me because I never did fall back to sleep.

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 am

Well I just figured out how to get my results. I actually got to the VA for my health care. I had a referral to a sleep center for the study. I just checked my medical records online and it shows the VA received the results. So tomorrow I can just drive over to VA and get those records to review myself.
I'm just tired or always being tired and it can take a while to get VA appointments so this way I can stay on top of things and proactively make my appointments.

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 am

So I called VA today to make sure release of information was open before driving over and story of my life..... They aren't there and will be back on 16th. I left message with primary care team to call me today to go over results. Fingers crossed they actually call me back for once!