Stardustor 1st post

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stardustor

Stardustor 1st post

Post by Stardustor » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 pm

https://imgur.com/94QAqst

Here's my 1st attempt at posting a SH chart. I have no idea if it'll work....??

I'm a relatively new CPAP'er. ...20 months, with very little guidance. I'm using a Dream Station Auto Pro CPAP, Humidifier, Heated Tube, Dreamwear nasal cushion. Pressure setting is 10. I'm an 85 year old caucasian male, 200 lbs, 5' 10" tall, 16.5 inch collar size, decent physical condition, can easily pass for 65 yrs of age. I've learned how to move data from my Dream Station SD card into my computer. I'm side-sleeper and not a mouth breather, no snoring.

Two sleep tests taken at a local hospital diagnosed 'Mild' sleep apnea. Dr started me out at 5 on the pressure scale. A month later, he increased that to 10, remarking that I had more serious apnea problems. Still experience Daytime sleepiness, slow starting in the mornings. CPAP has helped immensly with High Blood pressure and irregular heart beat...!!

Initially, I had BIG problems with nasal congestion..!! They seem to be mostly behind me. ( Omnaris Nasal spray for 8 months ) Now, I struggle with dry mouth awakening me five or six times each nite. My reading here on this forum has pointed to mouth breathing as the culprit. I've just recently tried taping with Nexcare paper tape. Results have been mixed. Only one full nite with no dry mouth awakenings.

The tape has helped with 'Large Leaks' recorded on SH. AHI's are all over the place.....2.3 on a good night, up to 8.6 and anywhere in between.
My Dream Station tells me about 'Periodic Breathing', sometimes as high as 5% ( Is that high...?)

Trying to educate myself, get some decent sleep, and fit into this forum.

Stardustor

Pugsy

Re: Stardustor 1st post

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Let's fix the leak statistics because your leaks aren't nearly as bad as the statistics are saying they are.

SleepyHead defaults to a ResMed leak threshold number and it doesn't work so great for a Respironics machine. Go to Preferences/CPAP tab and adjust the 24 L/min threshold to something more in line with a Respironics threshold. Maybe around 60 L/min. Respironics never gives us an exact threshold number because the threshold varies with the mask and the pressure but 60 L/min should get you close.
Making this change will correct the statistic likely telling you that you are having a lot of leaks but you really aren't.

Omit the snore graphs so your graphs are a bit larger and easier to see....snores will show up on the events graph if you have them.
No need to redo this one though.
If most of your nights look like this one then I would think about using 1 cm more pressure.

If your PB looks like this don't worry about it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm curious why you're on straight Cpap instead of Apap...?

PS collar size is irrelevant - it's what's inside that counts...and if your MD doesn't know that you should switch docs or ask to see a pulmonologist or neurologist trained in sleep medicine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Per SleepyHead report the machine being used is the DreamStation Pro CPAP machine.
There is no apap mode except for maybe the trial apap mode which is limited.
I know he says but there is no auto except for the limited trial in auto or apap mode.
Stardustor wrote:Dream Station Auto Pro CPAP,

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 pm

But I'm curious why he's either chosen or been prescribed plain Cpap vs auto.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Some Dr's believe that CPAP gives better treatment than APAP once the needed pressure is dialed in.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

coconur

Post by coconur » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 am

TASmart wrote:Some Dr's believe that CPAP gives better treatment than APAP once the needed pressure is dialed in.
This is purely anecdotal, but based on my experience with apap then cpap, I believe I really felt a lot better with straight cpap. I didn't even like the EPR, so I turned it off on my 1st machine. I guess that makes me the oddball, but it works for me.

ajack

Post by ajack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 am

Well I'm impressed with your cognitive function at 85, you also have a brain of a 65..I hope I can be as good as you if I get there.

some people have low ahi in tests and need high pressure, some have ahi off the chart and are fixed with low pressure, the two aren't related.
I think you are also mouth breathing. Do you have a full face mask while you sort out what pressure you need?
you need more than the 10 you have at this stage. I would raise it to 11. I see no reason not to use the flex setting on 2.

you may need the clinical manual to make your adjustments
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

basic info on how to change settings
http://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation- ... structions
mask fit setting, video to help with getting a higher pressure for a couple of minutes, to check and adjustment leaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLpO6ubYw8

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 am

xxyzx wrote:
TASmart wrote:Some Dr's believe that CPAP gives better treatment than APAP once the needed pressure is dialed in.
=======

some doctors are clueless

other doctors know you need more pressure to fix other issues than just OA
and apap does it better than running a cpap wide open all the time
I will believe my own experience after using both as CPAP working better for me and agree with my Board certified Sleep Dr.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Stardustor

Re: Stardustor 2nd post https://i.imgur.com/50orkl8.png

Post by Stardustor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you all for looking at my 1st post and commenting....!! Many comments sincerely appreciated.

I've tried to attach charts depicting last nite's results. Someone mentioned eliminating "Snore' graph to help make the other charts larger and more readable. What's the best ( easiest ) way to do that..?

On a technicality, my machine label indicates that it is a "Dream Station" CPAP Pro. ( No mention of the word 'Auto' )
I had called it an 'Auto Pro'.

I had another night of Dry Mouth awakenings, even with NexCare tape. I was successful in changing the 'Leak Rate' number to 60L/min.

Thank you, again, for all the input.

Stardustor