newbie to cpap how long does it take for me to get good sl

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Novello1234

newbie to cpap how long does it take for me to get good sl

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 am

Hi. I am new to cpap just got my trial machine this Tuesday. First day I slept well 2 nd day not that bad Last night I can tell
That I did not sleep well . I slept on my sides mostly previous night slept on my back my doctor says my sleep apneia is worse on my back. How long dies it take to get a good night sleep. I would like to know how long it takes please. Thank you. For reading my post

LSAT

Re: newbie to cpap how long does it take for me to get good sl

Post by LSAT » Sun May 14, 2017 7:25 am

Novello1234 wrote:Hi. I am new to cpap just got my trial machine this Tuesday. First day I slept well 2 nd day not that bad Last night I can tell
That I did not sleep well . I slept on my sides mostly previous night slept on my back my doctor says my sleep apneia is worse on my back. How long dies it take to get a good night sleep. I would like to know how long it takes please. Thank you. For reading my post
Obviously only 1 day according to your statement. Time varies...some people get fantastic results right off the bat...for others it may take months. Often it is needed pressure adjustments or a different mask that make all the difference.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 am

On my machine says slep 6 hours and 0.2 occurance I have nasal make wit the thin white strips tubing. Does it take longer for others do get a good night sleep. My pressure is 5 I think when do they know to adjust. I will be going on one month for another sleep study.

nivella1234

Post by nivella1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 am

Hi. Can you clarify what you mean please They the company set the pressure for me according to what the doctor said I think they set it to 5 and I think he said 5 to 7 on what basis can they increase the pressure for me

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I will be going for another sleep study again I think in June. I can also let the vendor know as they are monitoring with their computer. I did sleep better I think on Friday but I slept mosymy on my back, last night I slept on my side

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Also been diagnosed with mild

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun May 14, 2017 12:57 pm

You need to identify your machine and get it listed in the user profile, then if possible get a data program like Sleepyhead and post your data so that people who know what they are doing can look at your data and try to make sense from it. As it is, you have given no information for people to be able to help you from.

As to your question, for me, I felt more rested from the first night. Then after a month or so, there was a slow and nearly unobservable improvement for me in almost al areas of functioning And , after nearly three months I still notice things that get better or feel better as time goes on. So it does take a while, longer for some than others.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Ok ty it is a loaner and I only know how to put it on and if the mask is on correctly they did not show me anything else for now I have a resmed

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Also do most sleep on back or side

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun May 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Novello1234 wrote:Also been diagnosed with mild
Can you please complete that statement in case it makes a difference in relation to your treatment?

As to getting good sleep, I wouldn't have too high of expectations while you are in this trial period. Once your best settings have been determined it is reasonable to begin to expect better sleep. Since your DME is monitoring your data, you could just ask them if your AHI indicates you need a pressure change. I'm thinking from your description you haven't been titrated yet in the lab, just diagnosed. Is my understanding correct? Unless it would require too much pressure to accomodate back sleeping, it is generally an easier adjustment if one can sleep in the position they usually sleep. However, since you are ok with side sleeping and were told your events are worse on your back, it may help to take steps to assure you stay off your back. Some here have used a lightweight backpack stuffed with something not heavy to discourage back sleeping. Staying off your back might (no guarantee) enable you to get by at a lower (translate: less likely to be problematic) pressure.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi sorry thought I completed it mild sleep apnea . Yes you are correct just diagnosed had sleep study in lab a month ago and received diagnoses rrecently. And will need to go to do another sleep study in June. What is interesting is since I used the machine with the exception of yesterday I think I slept better on back with rotating to my left side last night I only slept on my left Thank you for answering my posts so new to this and no clue what some of these new words mean when it comes to sleep apnea . By the way I checked the machine and it says ahi 2 I don't understand the leak thing and events per hour is .2. Thank you again really appreciate it

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun May 14, 2017 1:48 pm

You really need to talk to whoever gave you the loaner and have them explain the machine and what readings you get and what they mean. But the guides under new users at the top of the page would be good for you to start the education process.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you I will check newbie section I have to wait and see not even a week one day I know my mask was not comfortable thank you again I just have to be more patient I just expected that I would get a good night sleep I did first da day and few other days not perfect but last night was horrible.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you. I started to read newbie section for the different terms thank you again for reading my posts I need to be a little patient it is not even a week I guess I was expecting to sleep like my first day and with. The exception of wed. Yesterday was the worst in terms of not sleeping that well the other days I roayayed from back to side and then yesterday I decided to sleep on my side I just need to be patient as this is all new to me on top of that I grind clench and it might be due to my sleep apnea I wish I had the sleep study several months ago when the dentist noticed that I grind and gave me a night guard. Thank you. again for reading my post

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I am trying new mask I was told my apnea under control last three days I have not been able to dkedo properly Hop fell you with new mask that will change I kept getting up to tighten mask and also checked. Machine. I just want quality sleep