Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
SleepyBobR
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Gender: Male

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby SleepyBobR on Thu May 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Interesting you say that. I asked for an auto machine because of my aerophagea and was told that I didn't qualify me for one on that basis. What's worse, I don't think my sleep doctor even knew that an auto machine might help with the gas. I learned about that on this forum. Maybe he should join as well. :roll:

Go figure.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Simplus Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her @ 7-10

User avatar
chunkyfrog
 
Posts: 23231
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: The middle--yet nowhere.
Gender: Female

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby chunkyfrog on Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm

You would have to convince the government bean counters--who are NOT doctors.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backup: Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust
I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.

User avatar
JaneAsimov
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:23 am
Gender: Female

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby JaneAsimov on Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

SO back to your question. The best thing for congestion this time of year is Flonase, every single day, if your allergies are to blame. Use it after you wash your face, so you are not snorting additional pollen up into your sinuses. It takes 2-3 days to become fully effective, as it is an anti-inflammatory, but it's safe to take year round, if you need to, since you're not ingesting it. Also, showering before bed gets all of the pollen off your skin and out of your hair, which is a pollen magnet. I change my sheets/pillowcase frequently too which helps. If your symptoms are really bad Xyzal will calm things down until the Flonase kicks in. Take Xyzal in the morning though, because it can make you restless at night (the last thing any of us on here need!!!) Hope this was of help!

Jane

_________________
Machine: DreamStation Pro CPAP Machine
Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Heated Hose, also I'm wearing a GMSS to stop mouth breathing
Jane

Diagnosed mild with AHI of 7, and AHI of 26 during REM

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

User avatar
TASmart
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
Gender: Male

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby TASmart on Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

xxyzx wrote:
SleepyBobR wrote:Flame wars aside, I have to say I've wondered the same thing myself regarding auto vs cpap. There was no medical reason for me to have an auto machine but I was able to exploit an insurance loophole to obtain an Autoset for Her. Additional cost to me was about $100, money extremely well spent. I have tried using it in CPAP mode at various pressures but my results are far better when set to auto. As a bonus, my aerophagea is much improved as well because the average pressure over the course of the night is lower in auto mode. I suspect the control firmware is the only difference so I don't understand why they even make CPAP machines anymore; there is no downside to an auto machine. Those who want fixed pressure can easily set the machine to CPAP mode.

================

its all about cost

insurance driven by medicrap has the goal of spending the least for something that 'works'

works well or being comfortable is irrelevant to medicrap and most insurance companies

clearly auto is absolutely the correct way to build these
all the models are essentially the same with different software that jacks up the price

true a few do have other sensors or comfort features
but auto vs cpap is not a cost item
even bipap is just software for most machines

ASV may need more
but their high price is still profit driven not engineering limited



And why do you think cost is not material, especially when spending public monies? I also note you do not use Medicare, so how are you so expert on how it works in detail?

_________________
Machine Mask 
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

User avatar
The Choker
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:53 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby The Choker on Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm

JaneAsimov wrote: I change my sheets/pillowcase frequently too which helps.

Do what you like, but this is not so important for CPAPers. The air going in our nostrils comes from that little machine on the nightstand.
T.C.

User avatar
The Choker
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:53 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby The Choker on Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

TASmart wrote:And why do you think cost is not material, especially when spending public monies? I also note you do not use Medicare, so how are you so expert on how it works in detail?


You are asking someone who is in mid-stage dementia. I've seen it in three of our four parents.
T.C.

User avatar
TASmart
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
Gender: Male

Re: one size fits nobody

Postby TASmart on Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm

xxyzx wrote:
TASmart wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
SleepyBobR wrote:Flame wars aside, I have to say I've wondered the same thing myself regarding auto vs cpap. There was no medical reason for me to have an auto machine but I was able to exploit an insurance loophole to obtain an Autoset for Her. Additional cost to me was about $100, money extremely well spent. I have tried using it in CPAP mode at various pressures but my results are far better when set to auto. As a bonus, my aerophagea is much improved as well because the average pressure over the course of the night is lower in auto mode. I suspect the control firmware is the only difference so I don't understand why they even make CPAP machines anymore; there is no downside to an auto machine. Those who want fixed pressure can easily set the machine to CPAP mode.

================

its all about cost

insurance driven by medicrap has the goal of spending the least for something that 'works'

works well or being comfortable is irrelevant to medicrap and most insurance companies

clearly auto is absolutely the correct way to build these
all the models are essentially the same with different software that jacks up the price

true a few do have other sensors or comfort features
but auto vs cpap is not a cost item
even bipap is just software for most machines

ASV may need more
but their high price is still profit driven not engineering limited



And why do you think cost is not material, especially when spending public monies? I also note you do not use Medicare, so how are you so expert on how it works in detail?

======================

there you go ASSuming things i never said

of course cost is important

i merely noted the reason they wont give you a machine that works better and makes you feel better is cost
they want to spend the least to get some help not give the help you actually need

keeping someone alive artificially but in pain is not a proper use of money either

on the other hand we should not gold plate the devices when there is no medical benefit
but many machines that cost more do provide that benefit

so who says where the balance point is


Appeaently you think you do.

_________________
Machine Mask 
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Previous

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amenite, cchild2, Pugsy, USMCVet and 28 guests