Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JaneAsimov

Re: Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 am

BikeisDusty wrote:I have similar issues to you. What has helped me is a bigger pillow to angle my head up, taking a antacid pill before bed (I use Zantac) and a auto setting of 7 to 11. I still swallow air, but this method makes it more tolerable.

On a side note, if you are still having fatigue and headaches, maybe it is not a sleep issue, but something like Lyme. I suggest a test for it if you continue to have these symptoms.

Bill
Hi Bill!
I tried the angling but it didn't work. I do have an antacid that I take as needed so I'll give that a go tonight as I do have GERD. I don't have an auto setting feature but I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor to see if I can get a better machine.

I think I'm still having fatigue and headaches because I just found a mask that I can tolerate a week ago. At most, I got 7 hours of sleep with it one night, but I was up all night burping with terrible gas. I will better be able to tell if CPAP is helping when I actually sleep a full night with it on and get into deep sleep. My headaches and fatigue ARE better then what they were though, even with this little usage. I'd say maybe 10-15% better, so that's good! I certainly hope I don't have Lyme. I doubt it. I haven't been bit by a tick since I was a kid, and I'm 37 now. thanks for the advice and tips!

Jane

Jane

Diagnosed mild with AHI of 7, and AHI of 26 during REM

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Hope you find relief. I did great on my base CPAP machine and when I went to the ASV my system went nuts. Bloating, gas burps all.day long and severe abdominal pain that landed me in the ER 3 times. Ended up finding CPAP just woke up an old issue I had since I am actually sleeping longer and I have a condition called Gastro Paresis where it's taking about 2-3x as long for my stomach to empty. So I would have my bedtime snack and crawl I to bed and instantly start backing up because apparently my lungs and diaphragm​ were rocking the guts a bit more than normal. And talk.about nasty reflux. But after 2 weeks of tests and another few to go mine was ruled out it wasn't Aerophagia since I had no issues on fixed 6cm and now I'm 6/12 and my average epap is 7.3. So if it doesn't go away soon or if you ever have had digestive issues in the past keep an eye on it.

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 am

RestlessinWoolley wrote:my bedtime snack
Wow!!

Do you not know that a bedtime snack is a no-no?? You should cease all eating four hours before bedtime! Especially in your condition.

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 am

CowFish wrote:
Wow!!

Do you not know that a bedtime snack is a no-no?? You should cease all eating four hours before bedtime! Especially in your condition.
I actually have to eat something. If not I wake up crashing early in the morning. I am slowly adapting to have something nearby on my nightstand in the event it happens. My fasting blood sugar at my lab check Monday was 42 at 730 am and I last ate at 8 pm which was half a cheese sandwich.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Normally, I avoid bedtime snacks, but the bullfrog stayed up late to cook a pound of thick sliced bacon.
He woke me with a yummy piece of cured hog, which I savored and returned to Nod.
Only one piece, so no tummy ache, but a larger portion not so good.
If you MUST snack late, limit the size, and stick to things which digest gently.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Normally, I avoid bedtime snacks, but the bullfrog stayed up late to cook a pound of thick sliced bacon.
He woke me with a yummy piece of cured hog, which I savored and returned to Nod.
If you MUST snack late, limit the size, and stick to things which digest gently.
Sounds like BullFrog is a Bacon Hog, I'm with him, darn those insects, bring us Bacon! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Sat May 20, 2017 2:06 pm

RestlessinWoolley wrote:I actually have to eat something. If not I wake up crashing early in the morning.
Exceptions for diabetics and hypoglycemics. Take care of yourself.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 am

I increased the PS on my BiPAP to 2.5 to try and bring down RERAs and it seems to be working. However, I've had an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach for the last three days and wonder if, after nearly two years of xPAP therapy, I am suffering from aerophagia for the first time. My 95% pressure was below 14 for the last two nights and it's been higher than that in the past. Would aerophagia symptoms persist during the day?

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Mon May 22, 2017 7:00 am

RestlessinWoolley wrote:Hope you find relief. I did great on my base CPAP machine and when I went to the ASV my system went nuts. Bloating, gas burps all.day long and severe abdominal pain that landed me in the ER 3 times. Ended up finding CPAP just woke up an old issue I had since I am actually sleeping longer and I have a condition called Gastro Paresis where it's taking about 2-3x as long for my stomach to empty. So I would have my bedtime snack and crawl I to bed and instantly start backing up because apparently my lungs and diaphragm​ were rocking the guts a bit more than normal. And talk.about nasty reflux. But after 2 weeks of tests and another few to go mine was ruled out it wasn't Aerophagia since I had no issues on fixed 6cm and now I'm 6/12 and my average epap is 7.3. So if it doesn't go away soon or if you ever have had digestive issues in the past keep an eye on it.
What did you do to treat the Gastro Paresis? I have had digestive issues in the past so now I'm starting to wonder....dropping my pressure has helped. I went from an 8 to a 7 for a few nights, then last night I went up to 7.5 and didn't have any problems (yay!) I've also been taking a generic proton pump inhibitor (like Zantac) and I think that has been helping a lot. Thank you for the advice : )

Jane

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 am

CowFish wrote:
Wow!!

Yes, I have heard that BUT I have bad migraines, and a low blood sugar in the middle of the night can kill my head. I'll take burping and gas, over exploding head pain and vomiting if I have to choose. Taking a proton pump inhibitor is helping a lot. Thanks for the help!

Jane

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 am

RestlessinWoolley wrote:
CowFish wrote:
Wow!!

I actually have to eat something. If not I wake up crashing early in the morning. I am slowly adapting to have something nearby on my nightstand in the event it happens. My fasting blood sugar at my lab check Monday was 42 at 730 am and I last ate at 8 pm which was half a cheese sandwich.
LOL, ha ha, that's what I just said, and I hadn't seen your message yet! My blood sugar drops to the point that I develop a severe migraine if I'm hungry before bed so I usually have a snack before bed too.

Jane

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Normally, I avoid bedtime snacks, but the bullfrog stayed up late to cook a pound of thick sliced bacon.

LOL, you mean, not a cold slice of pizza with extra marinara sauce?!? NOTED : )

Jane

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am

JaneAsimov wrote:LOL, you mean, not a cold slice of pizza with extra marinara sauce?!? NOTED : )

I plateful of nachos with refried beans and cheese and HOT sauce probably is a no-no.
Though I am lucky in that the few times I have yielded to that temptation it didn't seem to hurt anything but then I don't normally have aerophagia issues. Might be a different story if I did.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Mon May 22, 2017 9:15 am

Pugsy wrote:
JaneAsimov wrote:LOL, you mean, not a cold slice of pizza with extra marinara sauce?!? NOTED : )

I plateful of nachos with refried beans and cheese and HOT sauce probably is a no-no.
Though I am lucky in that the few times I have yielded to that temptation it didn't seem to hurt anything but then I don't normally have aerophagia issues. Might be a different story if I did.
Yeah, that sounds like a MAJOR no-no LOL, and really yummy!! So good in fact, I might have to try that tonight! Thanks for the tip ; )

Jane

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Right now for the Gasto Paresis I am shrinking meals eating less and splitting meals up. In place of eating 3 larger meals I'm eating 5 smaller meals thru the day. More fluids to help break it down. Right now between my health condition. And this I'm in an 8/10 to 9/10 pain constantly. Thankfully they rules out Celiac's and IBS. I did however try a suggestion by my sleep doc as ASV tends to learn a bit each night as Soon as I put my mask on I avoided breathing any more than normally. This helped a ton as it didn't feel like the machine was filling my gut as much. I was putting the mask on and doing my deep breathing exercises to help me fall asleep with the mask on so the machine took it as my normal pattern and I could feel my belly fill up. Now not so bad and I only passed gas a fee big ones when I was waking up. Still working thru the gastro side as I do have issues that are not triggered by cpap. Good luck