One month in and still tired

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NorthTexas_CPAP

One month in and still tired

Post by NorthTexas_CPAP » Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 am

Ok,

So still a newbie at all this, but after a month I still struggle to wake up feeling refreshed. I wake up at least 2 or 3 times every night - I think this is mostly from the mask as I change positions. I have an appointment with my sleep Dr in a couple of weeks and will discuss all this with him, but I can honestly say I was hoping that I would not still feel tired. I do not have a problem falling asleep, just staying asleep.

Pugsy

Re: One month in and still tired

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 am

How many hours of sleep are you actually getting?

Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what?

Are you using any software to make sure the cpap therapy is actually optimal and there's nothing going on that could be preventing improvement in how you feel?

If you are remembering 2 or 3 wake ups then there is a good chance you are having more that you don't remember and your sleep cycles may not yet be optimal.

Do you have any of the typical OSA symptoms that have gone away? Example...for me in addition to the tired thing I was having nocturia and killer morning headaches.
I found the nocturia and killer headaches pretty much went away fairly quickly but the energy thing took probably 6 months or so before I started consistently feeling more energy during the day.
I still don't have the energy levels I would like to have but that's not from OSA or cpap...there's some other stuff going on.
Energy levels have improved though..at least now while I don't wake up ready to run a marathon at least I don't wake up feeling like I ran a marathon and got run over by a bus at the end.

Finally if your unwanted symptoms are from something other than OSA then the cpap machine won't be able to fix it.
There's a long list of culprits out there for fatigue/tired symptoms and OSA is just one on that long list. Sometimes people expect cpap therapy to fix a problem that isn't caused by OSA and the machine simply can't do it no matter how much we might want to put all our problems in the sleep apnea basket.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 17, 2017 8:10 am

Do you know what your pressure settings are? Are you using †he ramp feature (at what settings)? Do you have any results of your study? All would help us to help you.

DTXBrian

Post by DTXBrian » Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 am

NorthTexas_CPAP wrote:Ok,

So still a newbie at all this, but after a month I still struggle to wake up feeling refreshed. I wake up at least 2 or 3 times every night - I think this is mostly from the mask as I change positions. I have an appointment with my sleep Dr in a couple of weeks and will discuss all this with him, but I can honestly say I was hoping that I would not still feel tired. I do not have a problem falling asleep, just staying asleep.
Your machine has data logging... have you looked at your data to see if there are any issues? Alternatively, you could enlist the assistance of someone familiar with what the data logs should look like to help decipher them.

Honestly, I'm new around here, and as such I can't really refer you to anyone around here. But I know that, on the freecpapadvice.com board, the admin there is a guy who goes by the name "thelankylefty", and he's been invaluable to helping some people identify problems they're having.

Genuinely not trying to advertise for another board. Simply offering what advice I can.

NorthTexas_CPAP

Post by NorthTexas_CPAP » Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks for the responses.

I do take some medications for cholesterol and Acid Reflux - The reflux medicine is in the morning and the cholesterol (along with an aspirin) is taken at night - don't think there is much from those.

I do not have any software loaded yet - Running Linux at home, so I need to see if there is a compatible version or I will have to kick off some VM's (virtual machines) within that to run windows.
I am using the MyAir website from ResMed and I am averaging 7 hours sleep a 95 score and 3.1 events/hour over the last 14 days.

I do use the ramp up on the machine and it is set for 30 minutes and my pressure is set to 9. I do not have a copy of my test results, but have called my Dr Office and they have a copy for me to pick up.

I did wake up with a headache this morning, but was a bad night as my mask seemed to be not set right as I had a bad seal, so I will need to make sure it is set right tonight.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 am

All I can add is that not only did statins aggravate my gastritis, but if I'd taken ASA on top of it, would have ended up in the ER. Apnea already is linked to GERD but you're adding to the problem with ASA and should address reflux which may well wake you overnight without you're even realizing it ("silent Gerd".

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Wed May 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Once CPAP is able to take care of the apnea awakenings, the other reasons for poor sleep begin to float to the surface. Unfortunately, CPAP seems to have gotten labeled as the "sleep superhero" - get one of these and all sleep issues are cured! Sorry - it only works on the apneas.

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm

I am having the same problem I am only one week but I can't fall asleep and my sleep is not quality I had two or three good nights last week and my sleep apnea under control I am under 5. I thought my sleep would improve

DeniseFrankl

Post by DeniseFrankl » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

It might be because of tension