Nasal Pillow air leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cavaland

Nasal Pillow air leaks

Post by cavaland » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:37 pm

I am pretty new at this, just finished my 4th week. I have been doing pretty well except for the occasional panic attack and scoring great results through the Resmed MyAir web reports but now I'm getting leaks. I had NO leaks the 1st 3 weeks. I can feel the air on my face and the air pressure is not as high (which I love but I know it's not good) so I fiddle with it all night. I have the Resmend AirSense 10 Auto Set and the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows. I bought some new nasal pillows 3 days ago and it was a little better but still leaking and now I'm thinking of buying a new nasal hose. Neither of these will be covered by insurance because it's only 1 month in. They will replace every 3 months through insurance. Anyone else have the same problem with the pillows? This just has to work, I am so tired of being tired!

One other question, where do you attach your equipment information in the post?

LSAT

Re: Nasal Pillow air leaks

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:01 pm

cavaland wrote:I am pretty new at this, just finished my 4th week. I have been doing pretty well except for the occasional panic attack and scoring great results through the Resmed MyAir web reports but now I'm getting leaks. I had NO leaks the 1st 3 weeks. I can feel the air on my face and the air pressure is not as high (which I love but I know it's not good) so I fiddle with it all night. I have the Resmend AirSense 10 Auto Set and the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows. I bought some new nasal pillows 3 days ago and it was a little better but still leaking and now I'm thinking of buying a new nasal hose. Neither of these will be covered by insurance because it's only 1 month in. They will replace every 3 months through insurance. Anyone else have the same problem with the pillows? This just has to work, I am so tired of being tired!

Try a larger size pillow......Your hose and pillows should not wear out in 4 weeks.

To attach your equipment info.......Go to Control Panel...Profile....Equipment

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:03 pm

You need to download Sleepyhead or Rescan to see what kind of leaks and the magnitude of them, along with their frequencies. mayair does not give sufficient information to troubleshoot.

I ended up going back to my Eson 2 after trying the Airfit P10 pillows, just get better results and less leakage with the nasal mask. I get quite a bit more mouth leaks using the pillows.
Last edited by TASmart on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

lc96

Post by lc96 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 pm

The pillows leaked for me right in the office, tried two different kinds. The Elon nasal works for me, too. Such gentle intake of air and no leaks (or such low ones that they don't bother me).

Airsense 11 Autoset Cpap
Resmed Airfit N20 and F30

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am

cavaland wrote:I am pretty new at this, just finished my 4th week. I have been doing pretty well except for the occasional panic attack and scoring great results through the Resmed MyAir web reports but now I'm getting leaks. I had NO leaks the 1st 3 weeks. I can feel the air on my face and the air pressure is not as high (which I love but I know it's not good) so I fiddle with it all night. I have the Resmend AirSense 10 Auto Set and the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows. I bought some new nasal pillows 3 days ago and it was a little better but still leaking and now I'm thinking of buying a new nasal hose. Neither of these will be covered by insurance because it's only 1 month in. They will replace every 3 months through insurance. Anyone else have the same problem with the pillows? This just has to work, I am so tired of being tired!

Sometimes, the headgear will stretch and become lose when the mask is new ... you could try readjusting the strap tensions for a better fit.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

DreamStalker wrote: Sometimes, the headgear will stretch and become lose when the mask is new ... you could try readjusting the strap tensions for a better fit.
Actually, the P10 headgear tends to stretch. Washing it on hot water shrinks it.
I think that is why Resmed recommends washing the headgear once a week.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 am

I had suddenly developed "large leaks" which showed on Sleepyhead and My Air. This was after 2 month of small or no leaks. I tried different pillows, and even a hybrid mask, and still had the problem. So out of desperation, I went to a chin strap, along with my trusty Nuance Pro pillows. Leaks practically disappeared.
See charts from Sleephead for Sunday 4/23 and Monday 4/25 to see the difference. http://imgur.com/a/1g5kw

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

cavaland wrote:now I'm getting leaks
Here are some general instructions to prevent leaks with any type of CPAP interface --->
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php and https://www.youtube.com/

- CG