Whistling sound

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Whistling sound

Post by 090810 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am

Good Morning!
I am using a Respirsonic Dreamstation Pro and a ResMed p10 nasal mask. Last night there was a whistling sound, I unhooked the tube from the machine since it had water in in. It stopped when I replaced the hose but only for a couple minutes then started again. This went on for a couple of hours, I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally I just turned the the machine off and finished the night without it. Anyone else experience this or and ideas as to what would cause this. Thank you.

Julie

Re: Whistling sound

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am

Do you think the noise was from the machine itself, from the hose or from the mask? If you have a pinhole in the hose, duct tape will take care of it. If a connection between the hose and machine is off, try reseating it again. If it's the mask, see if you can trace the noise more exactly. If it happens when the machine's running but the hose disengaged - if it's internal - you might need to see the dealer.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 pm

I don't see to be having much luck with my Dreamstation either.
It is approx 9 mths old. After 3 months there was a clicking sound which seemed to be linked to the humidifier so the humidifier was replaced. Philips told me that 1 in 10-15 machines has the same problem and not to worry as they would just keeping replacing it under warranty! In Australia you can ring Philips direct but still need to return machine through the supplier.
New humidifier started making clicking sounds at 3mths too so Philips replaced the whole machine.
The new machine (approx 6 weeks) seems to be making groaning noises (as am I)during the night when the pressure is high. I am loathe to go back to the supplier AGAIN so will give it another week or so and then will take it back if it is still making noises.
I have had clicking and now groaning but no whistling

upforsleep

Post by upforsleep » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 am

This happened on my Dreamstation once. Cleaning and changing both filters worked for me.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

090810 wrote:Good Morning!
I am using a Respirsonic Dreamstation Pro and a ResMed p10 nasal mask. Last night there was a whistling sound, I unhooked the tube from the machine since it had water in in. It stopped when I replaced the hose but only for a couple minutes then started again. This went on for a couple of hours, I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally I just turned the the machine off and finished the night without it. Anyone else experience this or and ideas as to what would cause this. Thank you.
Which mask?
Whistling is caused by air moving (past something) - check your mask exhale port for restrictions of the small holes allowing air to escape. Depending on the size of the holes you can clear them with something like a toothpick or a cotton swab. The exhale holes can get clogged with gunk from time to time making the holes smaller and causing a whistle.

biz64

Post by biz64 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

upforsleep wrote:This happened on my Dreamstation once. Cleaning and changing both filters worked for me.
+1 on this! Check the filter.

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 am

You can get whistling from condesation/ rain out - you mention water in the tube so I'd guess that's what it is. Things like a hose cover, heated hose, room temp, machine and hose position can help.

CarpeNoctum

Post by CarpeNoctum » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi folks,
I was getting a whistling sound from my old Legacy Respironics. Tracked it down to poor fit where the humidifier chamber connects to the machine. Solved it with some teflon joint tape. Inspect your connection points...could be a similar issue.
CN

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 pm

090810 wrote:Good Morning!
You need to spend more time with it when you're not trying to sleep.......to figure out what the specific problem is.
Could be any number of things, but YOU need to figure out what is causing it. We can't see your setup or what's happening.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 am

CarpeNoctum wrote:Hi folks,
I was getting a whistling sound from my old Legacy Respironics. Tracked it down to poor fit where the humidifier chamber connects to the machine. Solved it with some teflon joint tape. Inspect your connection points...could be a similar issue.
CN
I used teflon tape with my Swift LT mask (about 10 years old) where the hose fits into the pillow frame due to whistling. Recently however I started thinking that maybe breathing in teflon dust may not be such a good idea? Because the teflon tape has worn over time to small shreds.

Soooo .... I may have to break down and by a new mask.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

CarpeNoctum

Post by CarpeNoctum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am

DreamStalker wrote:
CarpeNoctum wrote:Hi folks,
CN
I used teflon tape with my Swift LT mask (about 10 years old) where the hose fits into the pillow frame due to whistling. Recently however I started thinking that maybe breathing in teflon dust may not be such a good idea? Because the teflon tape has worn over time to small shreds.

Soooo .... I may have to break down and by a new mask.
DreamStalker,
First off, I love your avatar...reminds me of a Huichol yarn painting.

Teflon is very inert and designed for permanent use. I've never seen it deteriorate in a pipe fitting environment. And it should be installed so that it's never exposed in the interior of a pipe. Where I used it, there was no opportunity for it to fragment inside the cpap pressure system. And it's cheap enough to replace every now and then.

But I take your point. Might not be perfect for every situation.
CN

M3T4LLik4

Post by M3T4LLik4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 am

I once had a whistling/ sputtering noise, although I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Apap. I found that it was the moisture's fault in the hosing. I wrapped my house with a towel in the area where moisture was collecting, and I turned the temp of my hose up a several degrees above my room temp. Also turned my humidifier down a step. After these quick adjustments, The weird whistling was gone.

Blake

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am

Metallica (sp), cool username!
Now you have to pick a different password!

M3T4LLik4

Post by M3T4LLik4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

No it's just my gamertag from xbox. I never have trouble making SN with it, so it is my go to haha.

Blake

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I discovered that when mine starts whistling I need to clean the gray foam filter and change the white filter.