Giving up because of Aerophagia. Looking at Oral Appliances

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Meeseeks

Giving up because of Aerophagia. Looking at Oral Appliances

Post by Meeseeks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:51 pm

I was hopping the Aerophagia would improve over time, but it simply hasn't.. Anyone try the Oral Appliances they sell on Amazon? Do you think it's worth trying out first, or should I go to a dentist and get one custom made?

Goofproof

Re: Giving up because of Aerophagia. Looking at Oral Appliances

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Make XPAP work or waste your money on junk that won't work, sounds like a no brainer. Jim

You could raise the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches, you also need to fill in your equipment in text not Icoony, your settings so they will show up in each post. Running apap 7 to 9 until you get the air swallowing under control.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Meeseeks

Post by Meeseeks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Goofproof wrote:Make XPAP work or waste your money on junk that won't work, sounds like a no brainer. Jim

You could raise the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches, you also need to fill in your equipment in text not Icoony, your settings so they will show up in each post. Running apap 7 to 9 until you get the air swallowing under control.
I wouldn't be making this post if I haven't already tried everything. I don't understand why you think an oral appliance would be a waste. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely works for some.

I have a narrow throat and a somewhat receded chin, so an oral appliance could definitely be just as effective.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 pm

You asked for feedback, but when you get it, want to argue, so why bother at all?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 pm

What works for OSA, in order:
1) CPAP
2) tracheotomy
3) oral appliances, by a DISTANT THIRD.
Do what you can, but accept the consequences.
If you want to live, we are here, waiting to help.
It has not been easy for more than a very few, quite difficult for many.
The struggle is worth it. I promise.

freddyb

Post by freddyb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:33 pm

I have tried three custom-fitted dental appliances from dentists. These were leading, tested appliances that each cost well over $1,000, with insurance covering a portion of the expense for two of them. The most effective of the three reduced my AHI to 7 in a home sleep test, which the dentist considered a very good result.

However, i went back to PAP therapy because I was suffering increasing apnea symptoms over time relying only on dental appliances. For a while, I wore the appliance along with PAP, but after the appliance broke, I haven't bothered to replace it.

Drawing from information I leaned studying posts in this forum, I worked to make my PAP therapy more effective for me. I understand that oral appliances can help at least in mild cases, but are not recommended as a first-line therapy in severe cases.

Before I received my first CPAP, I tried various over-the-counter mouthpieces for snoring, and didn't find any of them helpful. I suppose that using one conceivably might give one a hint about whether a custom appliance might work, but overall I would treat the OTC mouthpieces with skepticism.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 am

Meeseeks wrote:I was hopping the Aerophagia would improve over time, but it simply hasn't.. Anyone try the Oral Appliances they sell on Amazon? Do you think it's worth trying out first, or should I go to a dentist and get one custom made?
Hi Meeseeks,

I would try an Amazon appliance first to get a sense of what it would be like sleeping with something in your mouth. It is not going to be effective regarding your apnea but if you can tolerate the device, then find a competent sleep medicine dentist and get one that is custom made.

If you can, I would find someone who does nothing but work on custom made appliances. Ask him/her what brands he/she finds most effective and why. This isn't totally foolproof but you're trying to see if this person prefers a particular brand because it is convenient or if he/she really believes in the effectiveness.

When I looked into dental appliances for myself, it seemed the Tap appliance had the most data behind it as far as effectiveness. Unfortunately, I stupidly let myself be talked into the Somnodent Herbst which is a whole other post.

Finally, trust your gut instinct regarding a dentist. Unfortunately, I didn't but then again, I might not have been suited for dental appliances anyway so who knows.

Best of luck.

49er

PS - I forgot to mention you want to ask the dentist for data (not company sponsored) proving the effectiveness of the appliance he/she suggests.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 am

Took a look back at prior discussions, and I see you've been trying to address the aerophagia. Only you can know what is tolerable. While my air in the belly has been rough at times, only once was in intolerable. That night was just enough to give me a bit of empathy with those who deal with that level of discomfort/pain every night. One cannot sleep when in pain. I am a huge proponent of exhausting every effort to make cpap work. Not sure what all you've already done to see if the pressure needs can be reduced enough to make the treatment tolerable. Have you already tried sleeping on a slight incline, staying off the back, and using a cervical pillow - just a few things others have mentioned trying? If you do decide on a dental device, I suggest, depending on your insurance etc, a follow-up sleep study with the device or at least a few nights of oxygen monitoring. Your high number of events during REM that you've discussed in the past are too concerning to take for granted things are acceptable. Good luck going forward.

esel

Post by esel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

Meeseeks wrote:I was hopping the Aerophagia would improve over time, but it simply hasn't...
I am in the same boat.

As a kid it just happened that I could easily fill up my belly with air and burp up horrible sounds. Now I sure regret due to horrible Aerophagia.

Acidic burps, answering the call of the wild burrito and feeling like I swallowed an airbag with terrible pain is not my thing.

I have tried a non stretchable belt. Fit it loose enough around the belly to be able to breath normally. It works but not ideal.

I also tried a corset. This did NOT work at all it is slightly elastic. So the belt is the best I have found so far.

Sure hope some one will come up with a great idea.

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

Long before CPAP, I suffered from bloating and sometimes unbearable gas pains.
Finally, I was diagnosed with a diseased gall bladder, and it was surgically removed. RELIEF!
Consider the possibility that your pain has another cause.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 am

Just loosen up the old sphincter(s) and start letting them rip!

Seriously though. chunkyfrog may be on to something, though I wouldn't want to have my gall bladder removed.

You may be suffering from an underlying silent reflux problem. You can try and get your doc to do diagnostic endoscopy but I would try alternatives to Rx of pump inhibitors that is likely to follow should there be a positive diagnosis. Pump inhibitors do not cure the LPR problem and will only mask the cause(s) and the aerophagia will simply continue. If positive for LPR, then seek out alternatives to drug therapies ... at least for the long term.

Best of luck.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Shnorky

Post by Shnorky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 am

When starting out with CPAP I had a real problem adapting to it - tried different oral appliances from ebay (which hold your jaw forward, or hold your tongue between your teeth, etc) -- they were all just gimmicks to me. Not making enough difference to open up the throat. As they are relatively cheap, why not try them out?
Later I realized that for me, even with the pain of aerophagia, CPAP is really worth it.