Soaps For Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daisypie

Re: Soaps For Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by Daisypie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Someone mentioned regarding having their nose get cold because of the cold air coming thru the hose. I used the heated humidifier but even so at times the air comes thru too cold because it is cold in my room. I shut off the heat to my room, close the door and sometimes even in the winter I open a window. I found that if I put the hose UNDER the blankets with me it keeps the air warm instead of cold. This helps tremendously!
I also have only felt like I was suffocating about 3 times in the past and have found that if the mask moves up to far towards my eyes it brings it too close under my nose and doesn't leave enough room for the air to circulate and enter my nose. People who mentioned this situation might need a mask refit so they have more room for the air to circulate properly.

birdwatcher

Post by birdwatcher » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I had NO IDEA that it was NOT OK to use just any dish liquid! That's what my Respiratory Therapist told me to use. Another bit of bad advice! Thanks, folks!

TrafficD

Post by TrafficD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 am

Having used CPAP for almost 20 years now........

I can say that vinegar will clean out the tank beautifully.

As for the mask, I have always liked the little alcohol rubs they use in doctors offices (you know the ones they use before they draw blood).

I found using vinegar on the mask left me dreaming of fish and chips.......

Using soap always left it gummy...... and I found my masks broke down faster.

Plus now you can get cleaning wipes from your provider and they work well also.
Just dont get the scented ones.........

Now for the one with the cold air issue....... get a peice of fleece and sew a sluggly for your hose or buy one.
I know they sell them up here in Canada and some providers give them for free it helps keep your hose warm and no need for you to sleep with you hose to keep it warm.

Daisypie

Post by Daisypie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I was talking to the pulmonary doctor and he said not to use Dawn products to clean the mask etc. because it was the strongest one on the market no matter what the scent is or even if it is no scent. I did notice that several different dish washing liquid say no scent and yet they still do have a scent even if it isn't flowery or nice it still does have a scent. I finally did find one without "any" scent at all. It is called Ecowise. It is a Meijers product. You can only see the word Eco because the wise part is extremely light. It is crystal clear in color and says "Free and Sensitive Dish Detergent" It does have Aloe Extract in it so I am not sure it is safe because of that or not. It is free of all dyes and perfumes. I am extremely allergic to perfumes and scents so this is the best I could find. I hope this works out for me. I have used it for several nights and so far I am thrilled to fine something that works great for me. I tried Johnson's baby shampoo and boy that has a strong fragrance so I definitely had to discard that. I also tried the Ivory Classic and that also did not work for me. I know some people like those products. I think for me it is only the fragrances in them that causes my problems.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 pm

It's hard to believe this 8 year old thread is still active.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:06 pm

greyhound wrote:It's hard to believe this 8 year old thread is still active.
Well, you started it.
I guess it must have come up frequently with searches.
Not one of the longest threads but some variety of responses.

Soooooooo.......what have you learned from it and has it guided you to using anything in particular?

I'm still using Dawn dishwashing liquid. I got six years out of my first UMFF mask seal.

Den

mkelling@nycap.rr.com

Post by mkelling@nycap.rr.com » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 am

The "Planet Dish Wash Liquid" can be found online store Jet. Currently Jet is offering an additional 15% discount and free shipping if you order in sufficient quantity. The discount runs to April 1, 2017, so the time window is small. The discount code is TRIPLE15, because you can actually make three separater orders using that discount code before the expiration date. The Planet Dish Wash Liquid is made of coconut oils (Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauramine Oxide), Sodium Chloride (common salt), Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda). Apparently a very slight fragrance comes from the coconut oil ingredient, but no fragrance is added, no dyes, etc. I purchased the soap. I am just getting started with my CPAP therapy, but I wanted to find a hypo-allergenic, unscented, uncolored ultra mild, and biodegradable soap to clean the various parts of the mask, the tube, and the humidifier water chamber. I will come back and communicate my experiences, once I have more data, but it seems there are several people (this is how I came to research this soap), who find this product to be very desirable.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Another OLD post brought to life..................

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

LSAT wrote:Another OLD post brought to life..................
It was Spam...would have been removed if you could refrain from pointing out that it was an old post brought to life.
Spammers love doing this sort of crap and people fall for it.

Just spam remove it and the thread falls back into oblivion.
Post any comment and it gets stuck on the forum page until it falls off and gradually fades into oblivion...must better if it goes away fast instead of slowly.

If people don't have a spam button just ignore it and someone will come along and remove the spam.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm

LSAT wrote:Another OLD post brought to life..................
Just another "regular" firmly nailing spam in place on the forum.
If he hadn't misused his SPAM Button he could have removed it instead.
But oh well, hats off to ya.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

You have to admit as spam goes, it was well played. Just imagine how smart it would be to lock threads over 6 months old or worse a year. Meanwhile the Beat goes on. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 pm

There are no Regulars here, we are all irregulars. Some more than others. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Since DIY soap is supported as a hobby by craft stores, it is a good, AFFORDABLE source for pure, unadulterated soap.
I mentioned this in another thread some time back.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Goofproof wrote:There are no Regulars here, we are all irregulars. Some more than others. Jim
With all respect Jim you are confusing your words normal and regular do not mean the same things.

CPAP2011

Post by CPAP2011 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:28 pm

For my P10, I dissolve Borax in water and soak. No degradation to the silicone, comes out odorless and very clean.