how long has the average person lasted with there head gear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
moreorless

how long has the average person lasted with there head gear

Post by moreorless » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:24 pm

how long does a average head gear last?

how long has the average person lasted with there head gear, just curious?

*full face mask * mines worn out at 150 days.
I have a head gear and been using it to for 5 months. the head gear is worned out and not functioning properly.
insurance only pays for one every 6 months. my hours on the bipap machine for 5 months is logged about 1500 hours.
so i am wondering that the head gear can only take so much *from sleeping and the the pressure of the air* before it goes bad. *yeah I am guessing*

I just brought one *a new head gear* over the internet. I am thinking my head gear has bit the dust and will get the new one asap.
In 25 days I will get a new head gear through insurance. * I am glad and then I will have a back up for emergency.
so head gear only last as long as it can. *if you pressure is higher and the amount of times someone is sleeping and other factors make the head gear wear off quicker. and other situations and reasons

Additional Comments: dreamstation dreammapper i think i dunno. software. whats on the menu in dreamstation i dunno about the software hmm

OkyDoky

Re: how long has the average person lasted with there head gear

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Every mask headgear and user is different so I don't think you can really find what you are looking for. It's always good to have a backup of everything.
I monitor my leaks to see when I need to change my pillows or headgear. I have used a p10 mask for over 18 months before I started to see more leaks. On the P10 headgear you can wash and dry it and it will help to return it's shape.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Every case is different (user and or headgear brand) -- I am using ResMed straps on my F&P Simplus, I wash my headgear in the washing machine and I am closing in on two years with this particular headgear.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 pm

moreorless wrote:how long has the average person lasted with there head gear, just curious?
My understanding is that the average person lasts much longer than his or her headgear, but I have no source-proof to link to on that.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't know about AVERAGE but my brother's F&P headgear lasts 2-2.5 years before he starts having problems with the velcro holding it in place. For most masks, headgear is completely unaffected by your pressure. It's how tight you have the headgear on, how often you 'adjust' it, tossing and turning, washing, what you use to wash it, etc. The MASK part varies as well.

I switch between several masks and after 1.5 years, have yet to wear out a headgear.

Also, thanks for the tip from the other poster! I didn't know I could throw his headgear into the washing machine! I'll see if we can get that last one to last a little longer by doing that.

Last edited by SewTired on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diabetes 2, RLS & bradycardia
Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

moreorless

Post by moreorless » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:21 pm

jnk... wrote:
moreorless wrote:how long has the average person lasted with there head gear, just curious?
My understanding is that the average person lasts much longer than his or her headgear, but I have no source-proof to link to on that.
i would hope so lol.
but really i guess having a back up is important.

Additional Comments: dreamstation dreammapper i think i dunno. software. whats on the menu in dreamstation i dunno about the software hmm

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:30 pm

moreorless wrote:
jnk... wrote:
i would hope so lol.
Yes, I have a backup for myself just in case I don't outlast my headgear.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:52 pm

I've never replaced my headgear. Now and then, I replace my whole mask, but in 12 years I think I am on the third mask. I do have a mask that does not require any adjustment, just clip it together, so maybe that makes it last longer.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:15 pm

I have been using P10's for nearly 3 years. I have 4 pink headgear,
which I wash 3 at a time to save work.
I cannot tell which ones are old and which are new.
But, of course, I am not "average", and tend to get offended when referred to as such.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I've been using my original headgear...mask (Quattro) is about 15 months old. I washed the headgear twice in that time and I think I have only readjusted the velcro 3 or 4 times.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

jnk... wrote:
moreorless wrote:
jnk... wrote:
i would hope so lol.
I would like to get a backup for myself, preferably a younger version, but I haven't found a suitable source.

Any tips you could provide as to a source would be greatly appreciated.

I switch masks and headgear to often, and don't keep accurate records of how long parts last.
One thing I am grateful for is I have outlasted all my headgear so far.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:17 pm

moreorless wrote:how long does a average head gear last?
Headgear? For me, the few I've used in nearly 12 years has been about 4 years per set.
Mask seals/cushions about 6 years each.
I have numerous spares and backups of everything and buy all of my stuff out-of-pocket. It lasts longer that way.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 am

The Swift LT headgear lasted me about 7 years of use ... or about 2,555 nights. When it finally did start falling apart, it did so fairly rapidly (over a few weeks).

I had a back up headgear but the weird thing is that despite being in storage, it too also fell apart when I tried to use it as a backup replacement -- so it seems that over a period of time, the neoprene oxidizes and just disintegrates regardless of actual usage.

So backup machines are probably ok ... however backup headgear (made with neoprene) perhaps not so much?

As for the nasal pillows ... I've rotated 6 pair over about 8 years and all are still in excellent condition. So silicone pillows are indeed long lasting if not abused by OCD washing freaks.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 am

Neoprene reacts to oxygen, heat, and light.
If I wanted this type of headgear to last "forever", I would vacuum seal it
with an oxygen absorber packet and put it in a deep freezer.

moreorless

Post by moreorless » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm

bwexler wrote:
jnk... wrote:
moreorless wrote:
jnk... wrote:
i would hope so lol.
I would like to get a backup for myself, preferably a younger version, but I haven't found a suitable source.

Any tips you could provide as to a source would be greatly appreciated.

I switch masks and headgear to often, and don't keep accurate records of how long parts last.
One thing I am grateful for is I have outlasted all my headgear so far.
Well its good to have a back up.
You should get a back up for yourself though. its important. apparently it doesnt last forever
I guess you can tweak it.

someone said they wash theirs in the washing machine.
keep it clean and make sure its not dirty. some people wash it ever day.
I am sure there are other tweaks.
btw *by the way* this is a cool video on youtube to do plastic bottle hacks and it shows someone making a mask, not a cpap mask but its looks awesome it starts like 6;15 minutes in. but after watch whole video its nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUi2_AwDnqE

hmm me likes video. nice concept though.