I dropped my sleep Dr.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
loggerhead12

I dropped my sleep Dr.

Post by loggerhead12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm

OK, he's actually a pulmonologist, but he's still the doc that prescribed my original sleep study and machine.

I've had an appointment with him every six months since I started the whole endeavor. Twice a year he tells me what a great patient I am and charges me $385 from my HSA.

I cancelled my latest appointment.

Will my VAUTO stop working?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: I dropped my sleep Dr.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 pm

When I was introduced to the hose life, I was close enough to Medicare that it was a good idea
to maintain some kind of relationship with a doctor for continued supplies/equipment.
Medicare requires a yearly doctor visit for cpap supply coverage.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm

ImRealPleezApproveMe wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm
OK, he's actually a pulmonologist, but he's still the doc that prescribed my original sleep study and machine.

I've had an appointment with him every six months since I started the whole endeavor. Twice a year he tells me what a great patient I am and charges me $385 from my HSA.

I cancelled my latest appointment.

Will my VAUTO stop working?
It will only stop working if your Doctor comes over and pulls out the plug. :roll:

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 pm

I am 5 years away from Medicare and I wish I got an annual visit NOW. After the first 90 day follow up, zilch. It's going on 4 years in April. But, per Tricare, I can have a new machine next year (they changed coverage from every 5 years to every 3 years) but stated that I would need to have another appointment with my sleep clinic in order to get a new machine. So, if I choose to, get another appointment next year. If my current machine is still working, I will likely wait another year or two making it to the 5 year point. Even my 20% is costly.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 am

Becca8104 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 pm
I am 5 years away from Medicare and I wish I got an annual visit NOW. After the first 90 day follow up, zilch. It's going on 4 years in April. But, per Tricare, I can have a new machine next year (they changed coverage from every 5 years to every 3 years) but stated that I would need to have another appointment with my sleep clinic in order to get a new machine. So, if I choose to, get another appointment next year. If my current machine is still working, I will likely wait another year or two making it to the 5 year point. Even my 20% is costly.
If you keep working after Medicare I think you will have the same 20% because I believe CPAP is covered under Medicare Part B. You do not need that if you have medical insurance from your work.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 am

I went through the MediCare procedure to get my system paid for. That was the only reason I messed with Medicare, the doctor that I never ever met, and the supplier. My cost for "supplies" is virtually zero other than one mask that I bought just because it was the new Dreamwear nasal with arms which I field tested a year ago and I wanted one. A few air filters a year is the other only cost I have and they are cheap.

I never ever saw or even met my "doctor". Medicare paid for the sleep study and the doctor never ever contacted me before, during or after the study.

I just keep using my Dreamstation and I'm happy.

DreamWear Nasal Pillow headgear with Arms

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Becca8104 wrote:
I am 5 years away from Medicare and I wish I got an annual visit NOW. After the first 90 day follow up, zilch.
If my current machine is still working, I will likely wait another year or two making it to the 5 year point. Even my 20% is costly.
The first part of your statement and the second don't match up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:25 am

I do not know their situation but I am on Medicare Part A only and have medical insurance at work. Any CPAP for me is 20% copay after my deductible. Since I have not met my deductible fir a few years that means all CPAP supplies are 100% out of pocket.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 pm

didn't mean to be confusing. Tricare will require me to have a follow up appointment in order for them to pay for a new machine. The earliest I can get one using insurance is next year. (3 year point). I was lamenting that I have not been followed up after my first 90 day visit, so I can get a follow up appointment next year IF I decide to replace my machine. Maybe it isn't necessary if my machine is still working fine next year. Going on Medicare has nothing to do with me now, I just know I wlll be required to do another sleep study in 5 years once I turn 65.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:56 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:30 pm
Becca8104 wrote:
I am 5 years away from Medicare and I wish I got an annual visit NOW. After the first 90 day follow up, zilch.
If my current machine is still working, I will likely wait another year or two making it to the 5 year point. Even my 20% is costly.
The first part of your statement and the second don't match up.
Medicare paid for my current machine, even though the previous machine was under 5 years old.
Medicare did not pay for the older machine, so the 5 years does not count.
I bought the earlier machine out of pocket from cpap.com.

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

I am just saying.. 5 years is when I am eligible for Medicare. I realize they will pay for a new machine when I become eligible, regardless of when I bought my current machine.