Humidifier question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
springman946

Humidifier question

Post by springman946 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:44 pm

I was just wondering can I use my humidifier without water in the chamber what will happen to the humidifier or the heated plate if I do this?

LSAT

Re: Humidifier question

Post by LSAT » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Nothing will happen if the humidifier is turned off. You can also keep water in with the humidifier off.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:21 pm

And if you want to leave the tank out (like when traveling), you can buy the end cap at cpap.com.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55 am

Removing the humidifier completely is one way of doing it and attaching the end cap will make things neat.
However, some folks report that this configuration increases the noise level of the machine.
Leaving it attached and turned off does provide some reduction in sound level compared to having it removed. If it is turned off, no damage to the machine will occur.

As suggested, turning it off but filled with water will reduce the humidity supplied to the minimum.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 am

I put an end cap on my APAP and do not notice any noise issues (with or without cap/humidifier). The main advantage to replacing the humidifier with an end cap is that it saves about another 2 inches in its footprint. The footprint savings alone is worth the small cost of the cap. I only use the humidifier about 4-5 months a year.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

marnne108

Post by marnne108 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm

What is this magic end cap for use on machines with the humidifier not attached? I have run my DreamStation and my friend has run her PR System 1 without humidifiers for a few months w/o any apparent problems. Do they serve a purpose or are they just for aesthetics?
Thanks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:41 pm

marnne108 wrote:What is this magic end cap for use on machines with the humidifier not attached? I have run my DreamStation and my friend has run her PR System 1 without humidifiers for a few months w/o any apparent problems. Do they serve a purpose or are they just for aesthetics?
Thanks.
The cap is for the Resmed Airsense 10. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... cover.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:33 pm

marnne108 wrote:What is this magic end cap for use on machines with the humidifier not attached? I have run my DreamStation and my friend has run her PR System 1 without humidifiers for a few months w/o any apparent problems. Do they serve a purpose or are they just for aesthetics?
Thanks.
I think since the Airsense 10 has a large open area where the humidifier slides in and docks with openings the end cap would be needed.
I haven't seen an end cap for the DreamStation but my Respironics 760 came with one. It does make it look nicer but I don't think it has to be used. Since I carry my humidifier and use it in motels, I carry my heated hose. With the end plate on you have to use a regular hose and since I don't want to carry 2 hoses, I found you can plug the heated hose in without the plate and I use it that way.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

marnne108

Post by marnne108 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:45 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Thanks.
I think since the Airsense 10 has a large open area where the humidifier slides in and docks with openings the end cap would be needed.
I haven't seen an end cap for the DreamStation but my Respironics 760 came with one. It does make it look nicer but I don't think it has to be used. Since I carry my humidifier and use it in motels, I carry my heated hose. With the end plate on you have to use a regular hose and since I don't want to carry 2 hoses, I found you can plug the heated hose in without the plate and I use it that way.
Thanks for the info. I never gave it a thought when I removed the humidifier that I needed to do anything else. It works great and I don't notice any extra noise.