Is it worth getting the Resmed A10/S10?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tim851684

Is it worth getting the Resmed A10/S10?

Post by Tim851684 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:11 am

Hello,

I've been on an Resmed S9 Autoset for 5 years and I'm worried that my machine is getting old. I've used it every night for 8 hours. Is it worth replacing at 5 years and is the next model, the A10/S10 worth getting? Does it do a better job? I've been noticing tiredness in the mornings too. Thankyou

Jay Aitchsee

Re: Is it worth getting the Resmed A10/S10?

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Tim,
In my opinion, based on what I've read, there is little difference between the S9 Autoset and the Airsense 10 autoset, They are the same machines wrapped in different skins. Same algorithms except for the For Her model which has an additional, less aggressive treatment mode "For Her". The Airsense series comes with a modem to call home which one can use to feed ResMed's My Air on line reporting to view a very basic sleep report online.
One advantage the modem equipped Airsense series might have over the S9 is the ability to do firmware updates "over the air".
The humidifier of the Airsense series is integral to the unit which some find a disadvantage in that it can't be removed to reduce the footprint.
Again in my opinion, a new Airsense will not treat your apnea any better than a new S9.
For starters, you should register here, get the SleepyHead software, and post some of your results to see if your current treatment is optimized. While your machine might be getting old, I think these machine are able to last far longer than 5 years under normal use. Personally, I would consider buying a new S9, if you could find one, over a new Airsense - same great machine, but cheaper. Others might disagree.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 am

I agree with Jay about the model differences.
On the Airsense 10 models you can remove the humidifier and there is a Side Cover for the end but it would probably only save you around 1 1/2" at most in size. With your machine getting older, a second unit would be a good idea.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am

If you are having more issues with tiredness, register and upload some Sleepyhead stats from your machine. Also consider bringing your machine to your DME and have them check to make sure that the pressure is correct with a manometer. Call ahead. I discovered the last group of PTs at the DME didn't even know what a manometer was. All they did was look at the machine and say yes, the pressures are fine (fit the prescription). Totally useless day of lost time and travel. The folks they have now are more knowledgeable, but that varies with the turnover.

The machines are designed with a 5 year life span, but they can easily last another 5 years. However, if you don't have a backup machine, now would be the time to consider one. If you want insurance to pay for another one, but don't want one right now, keep in mind that insurance and Medicare will accept a copy of your sleep study for up to 10 years. After that, you have to get a new one to get another machine.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm

SewTired wrote: Also consider bringing your machine to your DME and have them check to make sure that the pressure is correct with a manometer.
Or, you could test it yourself with one of the various ways discussed in the forum. Search for "manometer."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49152&p=450105&hili ... er#p450105

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:For starters, you should register here, get the SleepyHead software, and post some of your results to see if your current treatment is optimized.
How can I tell if my current treatment is optimized:

http://imgur.com/a/HJdo2

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm

avi123 wrote:
Jay Aitchsee wrote:For starters, you should register here, get the SleepyHead software, and post some of your results to see if your current treatment is optimized.
Yes, perhaps optimized (1. to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible. 2.to make the best of.) was not the optimal word to use. Maybe "could be improved" would have been a better choice? Or, "is satisfactory"? Or, "looks like it is working"?

But your treatment results look pretty good to me based on the chart you presented. Three obstructive events grouped around a break in therapy which probably resulted as a machine interpretation of wake breathing, leaving a lone obstructive, a couple of hypopneas and a central remaining for the night. A very low leak line, low snores, low to moderate flow limitations, and auto pressure remaining close to minimum most of the night. I'd say your results fit the definition of optimized. Further, I would say that if you do not feel rested, it is probably not due to less than optimal cpap treatment. My opinion.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
avi123 wrote:
Yes, perhaps optimized (1. to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible. 2.to make the best of.) was not the optimal word to use. Maybe "could be improved" would have been a better choice? Or, "is satisfactory"? Or, "looks like it is working"?

But your treatment results look pretty good to me based on the chart you presented. Three obstructive events grouped around a break in therapy which probably resulted as a machine interpretation of wake breathing, leaving a lone obstructive, a couple of hypopneas and a central remaining for the night. A very low leak line, low snores, low to moderate flow limitations, and auto pressure remaining close to minimum most of the night. I'd say your results fit the definition of optimized. Further, I would say that if you do not feel rested, it is probably not due to less than optimal cpap treatment. My opinion.
Thanks. Only after 12 noon the next day I fee "rested", i.e. after 12 noon I don't fall asleep while watching TV. It probably has to do with my age of 87. Drinking Starbucks Colombian coffee for breakfast and Mocha for lunch help.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 pm

avi123 wrote:Thanks. Only after 12 noon the next day I fee "rested", i.e. after 12 noon I don't fall asleep while watching TV. It probably has to do with my age of 87. Drinking Starbucks Colombian coffee for breakfast and Mocha for lunch help.
Maybe, or perhaps the meds you take the night before?