Cleaning Cpap??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: Cleaning Cpap??

Post by Krelvin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:01 am

Wulfman... wrote: You can't blow that hard to get it back TO the machine.
But, the machine sensors monitor the motions of a relatively solid column of air moving ever so slightly and monitoring for changes in loss of (or too much) movement in whatever degrees as it scores the various "events".

Den

+1
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:46 am

Wulfman... wrote:
You can't blow that hard to get it back TO the machine.
But, the machine sensors monitor the motions of a relatively solid column of air moving ever so slightly and monitoring for changes in loss of (or too much) movement in whatever degrees as it scores the various "events".
OK, that makes sense.

What about the "auto start" functionality of my Resmed Airsense 10. As there is no pressure coming from the machine at that point, I am pretty sure I am breathing into the hose and the machine, for it to detect that there is breathing and for pressure to start.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

tedtomato wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
You can't blow that hard to get it back TO the machine.
OK, that makes sense.

What about the "auto start" functionality of my Resmed Airsense 10. As there is no pressure coming from the machine at that point, I am pretty sure I am breathing into the hose and the machine, for it to detect that there is breathing and for pressure to start.
The hose is still full of air (even though it isn't moving toward you) which has enough movement when you breathe/blow on it to trigger the sensors to start it.

Try taking a hose that's not attached to the machine and put one end to your mouth and the other against the palm of your hand.......then blow into it.......and you will feel the pressure of the air against your hand.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Just because you blow air into a tube doesn't mean that the air you blew made it all the way to the other end of the tube. It can be sensed at the other end of the tube by the pressure wave you create, by blowing air in the hose (exhaling). Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I wash my mask every day to remove skin oils and any grunge on the inside of the seal at the bottom of the mask. I'm not a mouth breather but my mouth does drop open when I'm sleeping so it really does need daily washing. As for the hose, it gets water run through it when I think of it which isn't very often. I wash the humidifier tub once a week or so. I think the mask end of the hose does get some breath forced back into it when you exhale very deeply or especially if you cough so occasional cleaning is a good idea. A warm and moist environment can be a breeding ground for bacteria. That said, it's easy to go overboard with cleaning and it can be hard on your gear.

Michandola

Post by Michandola » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 am

nanwilson wrote:
WickedLoki wrote:The point is that your humidifier is not "clean" just because you use distilled water. Actually the distilled water is more to prevent calcium carbonate build up in the humidifier.
Whatever floats your boat Wicked. Do you re-wash your utensils when you eat your meals? You give them a wash when you have finished using then, throw them into your utensil drawer and there they sit until you next pick one up to use.......... hmmmmm. I rarely wash my humidifier, ditto my hose, clean my headgear when it starts to smell like dirty hair, wash my pillows when they get gunky or stinky or I have the sniffles. When I was new to this therapy, I washed every thing needlessly.......... then I began to think that I breath this air and use other stuff without being such a darn germaphobe . I am still here almost 7 years later, rarely get sick and have a very relaxed attitude with cleaning my gear.
I think the same. There are plenty of articles how to clean the hoses and other stuff. I was wondering why? I use the machine and the leave the humidifier container empty to dry (there shouldn't be any problem). Also, I use the machine itself to dry the tubing by running the machine without the humi-unit. Running air dries it. I think its all about drying stuff if you are not using other jazz like oils ans stuff. One thing I pay attention is Mask which are complicated mix of gel and plastic I wipe them with warm cloth or wipes. Some people told me that mold develops in tubing,humi, mask etc but if you dry everything everyday there shouldn't be any problems.