Mouth drying out even when taped... please help if you can.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BigEd0923

Taping mouth?

Post by BigEd0923 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:48 am

Both Doctor and therapist warned me NOT to tape mouth. Therapist provided 2 different full face masks to try. They do not stop dry mouth or mouth breathing. Now waiting for third mask. She said there may be no solution for me. I don't beleive it. I could use your help. Any thoughts?
Big Ed

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Mouth breathing with a full face mask on doesn't defeat your therapy - it only does so what you use nasal or nasla pillows masks.

What's the discomfort of a dry mouth in a FFM, compared to the harm of OSA?

Can you breathe through your nose? Have you tried a chinstrap? Have you tried nasal irrigation to help with congestion?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

BigEd0923

Thanks ozij

Post by BigEd0923 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Yes I can breathe through my nose. I have used a passover humidifier which did not help. I do not have congestion. I wake up with extreme dry mouth and throat. Cough drops all day.
I think all of us here realize the danger of OSA. My objective is to be as comfertable as I can.
Again thank you for your help

Big Ed

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Ed,
Have you tried a heated humidifier - a good one like the FP HC150? And a heated hose to combat rainout and give you maximal humidity? Do you have a special medical condition that had the doc and RT warn you?

Do some searching for taping - people have many different opinions, and many have been told by the professionals not to tape - but decided to do it anyway.

Me? I thought it a dreadful idea, and it took me 8 months to decide to try. But once I put a piece of tape on my lips - in broad daylight, without committing to using it - I knew it would be OK. The tape has folded in tabs at each side to make removing it easy - and I can take it off in a jiffy. Sometimes I don't feel so well - and then I don't use it. Never asked a doctor or RT.

There is a mouth mask, Oracle OKayed by the FDA, that has you out plugs in your nose in order to use it. I haven't yet figured out why that is not considered dangerous, and whereas taping your mouth shut is.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MrGrumpy

Re: Taping mouth?

Post by MrGrumpy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:27 pm

BigEd0923 wrote:Both Doctor and therapist warned me NOT to tape mouth. Therapist provided 2 different full face masks to try. They do not stop dry mouth or mouth breathing. Now waiting for third mask. She said there may be no solution for me. I don't beleive it. I could use your help. Any thoughts?
I was reading in the book "Sleep Apnea: The Phantom of the Night" that one possible solution for bad mouth leak is a custom made oral appliance combined with a traditional nasal mask. The custom made OA stops the mouth leak and thus allows you to continue using a nasal mask.

Eric

ozij

Re: Taping mouth?

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:18 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
BigEd0923 wrote:Both Doctor and therapist warned me NOT to tape mouth. Therapist provided 2 different full face masks to try. They do not stop dry mouth or mouth breathing. Now waiting for third mask. She said there may be no solution for me. I don't beleive it. I could use your help. Any thoughts?
I was reading in the book "Sleep Apnea: The Phantom of the Night" that one possible solution for bad mouth leak is a custom made oral appliance combined with a traditional nasal mask. The custom made OA stops the mouth leak and thus allows you to continue using a nasal mask.

Eric

Can you get the appliance out of your mouth without using using your hands? Because you do need fuctioning hands (hand) and fingers to take the tape off.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

IrenaS

taping mouth

Post by IrenaS » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:43 am

Hi Angela,

Please call my assistant Jennifer and tell her Irena sent you. We have a licensed therapist with 30 years experience and he's seen ever situation imaginable. He'll be able to help! You may need a mask that's better taylored to your particular situation/need and Pat. It will save you alot of time, energy and money. Again, tell Jennifer I sent you so she knows to take good care of you . Call: 866 733 9904 or service@sleeprxmi.com.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:11 am

Hello Irena,
Please tell your assistant about cpaptalk - he will be able to help far more people.

You are misusing this forum - please do not do this again.

We have had posts by helpful DMEs, you are not one of them.

O.

(1st copy of my message).

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks, ozij, for running off the wolves!

Angela