Did you get filters with your CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Did you get fine filters from the DME?

Yes, I get fine filters on demand
56%
Nope, no filters here
44%

Total votes: 25

trice54

Post by trice54 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:48 pm

I got a filter with my machine. Not sure if it is the 'fine' one being talked about..it's not foam. When I last visted the DME I was asking her if I should replace it (she said not really..it should last 6 mo under normal conditions) and she asked if I got an extra with my machine purchase..no, I did not..so she gave me a free one. (big whoopee...but it was nice of her).
Trice

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:56 pm

Looking at pic..and hearing you all......so happy to be in the mountains of North Carolina! Sure, we have awful pollen outbreaks for 2 months a yr, but grateful for air conditioning during those periods. I would certainly be changing my filters more often in the conditions of Calif. Be safe.

SewTired

Re: Did you get filters with your CPAP

Post by SewTired » Mon May 23, 2016 8:37 am

I received fine filters with my machine. What I am unable to get, even from online retailers much less my DME, is Resmed brand filters. Instead they give me knockoffs. Not to say that the knockoffs are bad, but I know from other small machines, knockoffs are not as good of filters as the brand recommended by the machine manufacturer.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 am

This whole mess with the filters is very concerning. If you think about it fine or standard filters should be included with all machines and I have heard that they should be replaced monthly. Especially if they are the fine filters. If you think about the fact that these things can get so clogged with gunk that they can effect the pressure levels your machineban deliver.

Telling people that it doesn't mater and that they should change it in 6 months is kind of scary.

For people with really bad allergies or if your in one of the zones effected by fires I would not only be using a fine filter to protect my machine but also a in line bacteria filter to protect my lungs.

I know the inline filters can cause problems with the built in humidifiers so when it's bad allergy season I turn off my built in humidity and install the bacteria filter then after the bacteria filter I use the in line humidifier from fisher pical. To keep my humidity up. Result is I'm breathing almost perfect clean air and wake feeling great with almost no allergies till I take my mask off and have to breath normal air.

There should be published stats as to what filters are to be used with what system and how often they should be changed. And these stats should be mandated to DMEs who through ignorance or wanting to make more money will tell people things that don't add up or that can make us sick or damage our machines.

Sorry bad allergy sufferer who would be $&#^$/$¥ mad if I was told my Machine didn't need the filter so I'm just chopped liver and my comfort doesn't mater. The machine will work with out one so who cares about you the person. Sheeesh that's really lousy of them to do that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon May 23, 2016 2:01 pm

Gryphon wrote: If you think about the fact that these things can get so clogged with gunk that they can effect the pressure levels your machineban deliver.

Telling people that it doesn't mater and that they should change it in 6 months is kind of scary.
resmed, in the clinician manual, says clearly, six months, or as needed, for the resmed filter.

respirioncs, specifies a shorter interval, which is necessary because they use a smaller filter.

the pressure delivery of the machine won't be affected unless your filter is hugely clogged, which probably would mean it'd have to look like the insides of your computer when you open it up after a few years of dust collecting.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 pm

I try to change my filter every month, but often forget. I've gone as long as the 6 months that ResMed says is okay, and still not seen any color change or any visible evidence of anything in the filter. I guess that there are several possibilities to explain this. Maybe we have invisible dust, or whatever the filter is pulling out of the air is invisible, or maybe the ResMed filters really don't filter much out anyways. I think that it's the latter, personally *smile*. Like the emperor's new clothes, I've been assuming that the filters are doing what they're supposed to do, but never see any evidence that's the case.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 23, 2016 4:00 pm

I use the hypoallergenic filters, provided by the DME in a plain ziploc bag.
No idea if they ar OEM or knockoff, but they get a bit gray at 3 weeks, when I change them.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon May 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Wow...Opening a 2008 post to discuss the merits of changing a filter often?

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon May 23, 2016 4:45 pm

LSAT wrote:Wow...Opening a 2008 post to discuss the merits of changing a filter often?
TImeless topics *smile*.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon May 23, 2016 8:30 pm

I've had my filter turn dark gray before - Mind you this was a high density hypo allergenic filter. I also lived in a house with a mold problem at the time. I guess everyone's situation can depend on their environment.

I've also had the inline filters clog up from fine particulates to the point were the machine was having problems.

Mind you if you live in an area with really clean air and it's like winter or some other time of year were things are really clean I can see going a long time with out having to change a filter but around were I live there are times of the year with pollen were it covers everything like snow. Times like that I change my filters often. It also depends on the type of filter - so if it's not a fine filter I guess it doesn't mater as the thing doesn't filter out all that much anyway.

If your changing often for something so cheap I don't see why 2.50$ a month even if out of pocket is a bad thing and that's like full price name brand.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon May 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Gryphon wrote:If your changing often for something so cheap I don't see why 2.50$ a month even if out of pocket is a bad thing and that's like full price name brand.
you talk like you're getting kickbacks from sales.

wtf, over?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 pm

LOL - no kick backs just allergies and I like clean air. Maybe I'm a bit OCD.

Promise though that I'm not getting any extra money from the magic filter manufactures.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue May 24, 2016 7:27 am

Sleeprider wrote:Just curious how many members got a fine filter with their XPAP. I only got the foam filter from Apria with my M-Series Auto.

Why ask? This is what Sacramento looked like today with all the area fires. How'd you like that blowing up your nose?

Wow! I'm back after 8 years! FWIW, I no longer care about this question.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 24, 2016 8:24 am

Just a reminder; even if the human is unaffected by the age or absence of a filter, the lifespan of the machine may be.
Every time we have the oil changed in the car, the filters are checked, and replaced if needed.
My allergies demand I change my cpap filter more often than the machine may need.
There is no fun in a sneezing fit when there is no bathroom nearby.
Please do not request an explanation.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 am

Sleeprider wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:Just curious how many members got a fine filter with their XPAP. I only got the foam filter from Apria with my M-Series Auto.

Why ask? This is what Sacramento looked like today with all the area fires. How'd you like that blowing up your nose?

Wow! I'm back after 8 years! FWIW, I no longer care about this question.
No, but some of us new users do. Strangely enough, my experience has been that when I order new supplies they are VERY generous with the "expensive" stuff, and VERY stingy with the cheap. For example, my latest order came with one headgear, FOUR masks (all my size), more tubing, and ONE little gray filter. No fine filters. I expected ONE mask, and several filters. Why four masks? I can order more stuff covered by insurance in three short months. What does everyone else do with their extras? Sell them on E-Bay? LOL. I just find the whole thing weird.