I'm scared

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hooray1!

I'm scared

Post by Hooray1! » Fri May 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Basically, I'm having trouble sleeping while using the CPAP machine. I feel like it's a car exhaust blowing in my face. I'm really scared, because I've been using the CPAP to address very high blood pressure that has not been significantly reduced although I'm on 5 high blood pressure meds. That's a lot. I've added the CPAP, after having surgery to improve nasal flow. Due to nasal polyps, the sleep doctor had informed me that there would be no effectiveness for the CPAP until there was better air flow. So, I had full surgery to have the nasal polyps removed. Then, back and forth, and the CPAP was finally prescribed. 2 months later, although using the CPAP consistently, blood pressure has not come down.

After a third sleep study, the sleep doctor wanted to change the air pressure setting VERY high. During the fitting on Tuesday, the technician set it a little less high. Tuesday night, I found it difficult to sleep, and basically, couldn't. Now, I trying to use this higher setting. But, I can't sleep with the hockey mask on my face and car exhaust blowing inside.

On Wednesday evening while walking my dog, I felt tightness in my chest, was sweating, and felt a little dizzy. I didn't know whether to attribute this to anxiety, or to not sleeping plus wearing a leather jacket causing sweating plus a shirt that hadn't been tight in the past. Having had a heart attack in 2010, I decided not to take chances. I went to the ER, and was admitted for observation. Luckily, no heart attack and all heart stuff checked out fine. In the morning, the blood pressure came down a little, although still very high. I was discharged by 8 AM.

Thursday night, after having received a significant honor at a Gala, I slept well without the CPAP because I was so exhausted. Now, Friday night, I tried to use the CPAP with the higher air pressure, but haven't been able to sleep. I'm so angry and frustrated. I'll try using the CPAP again after I write this.

I don't know how to handle this. I'm feeling that this will not help me, or that I'm not doing something correctly. I'm feeling as though I'm doomed to die unnecessarily early due to the high blood pressure resulting in an unexpected cardiac incident. As most of us, we anticipate living healthfully and productively for a long time. Me too. I'd like to hit 100 with just basic modifications needed.

I'm really scared, and very angry. I feel as though I'm being a drama queen, although I know I'm not. This is 2016. With medical technology at such an advanced state, very high blood pressure should be able to be effectively controlled for a long life.

Goofproof

Re: I'm scared

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 06, 2016 11:28 pm

CPAP isn't a cure for high blood pressure, it might help but not likely. They have cut a lot of parts off, I'd keep my pants on and wear mittens, next time I go to that dr. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

mjmia3

Post by mjmia3 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Try adjusting the ramp time... Lengthen it out as long as it will go. Also, maybe try watching a movie with it on during the day to see if you can improve your tolerance and "love" for the machine. Good luck!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 07, 2016 12:18 am

Hooray1! wrote:I feel like it's a car exhaust blowing in my face.
well, for one, the ONLY thing that thinking like that, in exaggeration and hyperbole does is increase fear and anxiety.

you need to avoid thinking negatives about it, and focus on positives.

and, you're not "sleeping well" without it, there's a big difference between passing out from exhaustion and restful, restorative sleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 am

I'm guessing you're gonna be around here a bit in the future, so it would be a good idea if you register and list your equipment and settings so we can target our replies. You're in a good place to get help sorting through issues with your treatment. What you've said thusfar gives me no reason to think you won't be successful at this. Can you give us a bit more detail on how your sleep is affected by treatment? How long does it take you to fall asleep? How long do you sleep? How often do wake up? Sometimes the details hold clues that help troubleshoot.

We all go through stages of adjustment, and I'm guessing you'll soon be on to these sensations becoming your new normal. Recently I looked back at my early posts and had to chuckle at my description of "gale force winds". That became a non issue so quickly. I'n now up 5 more digits and hardly notice the air. Give yourself some time and know that a rough start has no bearing on your potential for success. Once you give us more info to go on, maybe there will be some suggestions that will help turn things around. Hang in there.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat May 07, 2016 3:43 am

Goofproof wrote:CPAP isn't a cure for high blood pressure, it might help but not likely. They have cut a lot of parts off, I'd keep my pants on and wear mittens, next time I go to that dr. Jim

I noticed a huge improvement with my blood pressure and cpap. Without cpap, even with 3 medications, my blood pressure was still 150+ over 100+. For several months, I kept a chart with the number of hours slept, my opinion of my sleep, and multiple blood pressure readings during the day. I was consistently better with blood pressure when I was getting 6+ hours of night of good sleep. If I had a short or crappy night, my blood pressure would go up. But with good sleep (and cpap), I was getting numbers in the 120s consistently. I cannot do that without cpap, even with medication..

I do think the original poster needs help adjusting to cpap as well as getting settings optimized.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 07, 2016 3:57 am

If you are really on 5 different meds for BP, I can't help but wonder how that's affecting your sleep, Cpap or not, and I'd want to check into it again with a doctor (or 2) about adjusting things if necessary. And do tell us what your pressure settings are because we have nothing much to go on re hard facts.

Hooray1!

Post by Hooray1! » Sat May 07, 2016 5:56 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been in touch with the sleep doctor. We will be adjusting the settings again. We are changing masks. When the CPAP technician from the medical device company came to my home for the initial set up, he did not give me any choice of mask. Not knowing better, I figured that is the only way.

Upon my most recent visit to the sleep doctor's office, we tried other masks. The device is a Phillips Dream Station. I understand that it is a new model. Your idea of extending the ramp time is probably a good one. Following my submission on this forum, I went to sleep again. I was able to get a total of 4 hours using the CPAP. Now, that I've awakened, I don't have the feeling of being refreshed. Using the CPAP, I've found that even if I wake up relatively refreshed, energy wanes later in the day.

Generally, I am able to fall asleep within 10 minutes of hitting the pillow. Now, with the CPAP, it takes much longer. With the current mask I am using, I have to adjust it often prior to getting to sleep. I will be getting a new mask. Additionally, the report from the memory card inside the CPAP machine suggests that the number of incidents of sleep apnea each night have decreased significantly, but still exists. The blood pressure is still high.

Thank you for your comments. Yet, the unhelpful comment from pale rider suggesting that I am exaggerating is inappropriate, dismissive and rude. It is important for pale rider to remember that people on this forum are having issues, concerns, fears, etc. Do not dismiss them.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:46 am

Mask fit and comfort is important. All I can tell you is the rest is a process. And if you think the medical community is behind on controlling blood pressure, you are in for a real treat regarding their ignorance about sleep apnea. They started my settings where you are, and over a three month process I learned I only achieved optimal treatment at three times those settings. The good news is I tolerate high pressure well (everyone is different), but of course it took some getting used to. The other good news is my blood pressure did go down about 10 points after I started treatment. But I also walk 4 miles a day, five days a week. There are so many moving parts to our health it is difficult sometimes to draw a direct connection between one thing and another. The treatment is not a cure-all, but I can say my life is far better with it than it was without it.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat May 07, 2016 12:06 pm

What is your new mask? We might be able to help if you will give us more info. What model Dream Station? What mask?

It takes time to get used to sleeping with CPAP. 4 hours is a great start. You can't expect to see a change in BP until you are using CPAP effectively AND consistently. Even then,other lifestyle tweaks may also be needed. But CPAP is a good place to start.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Hooray1!

Post by Hooray1! » Sat May 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Thank you Mudrock. Hearing some of your stories and suggestions is helpful. I'm glad to know that there might be improvement, albeit at a longer wait than I anticipated. The fact that you share successes and challenges is a real assistance.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat May 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Hooray1! wrote:Yet, the unhelpful comment from pale rider suggesting that I am exaggerating is inappropriate, dismissive and rude. It is important for pale rider to remember that people on this forum are having issues, concerns, fears, etc. Do not dismiss them.

Hooray... please don't take this personally. Palerider gets comments like yours ALL the time. Yet he continues to be "inappropriate, dismissive and rude".

Fortunately, as you have noticed, there are many others here who are knowledgeable and helpful.

Welcome to the forum!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Marigail

Post by Marigail » Sat May 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Hooray for you for hanging in there. CPAP usage is an adjustment for all of us. It's a change, but change doesn't mean its a bad thing, it's just different. The first thing you need to do is try to relax, the worry, anxiety and stress will keep your BP up. Ignore the Negative Nellies and read the Helpful Hannahs, thankfully there are more Hannahs than Nellies. When I was first starting on this adventure I would count, inhale for count of four, I'd say relax your feet, breathe out for count of five on exhale. Breathe in, relax your legs, and breathe out. I kept saying to relax till I made it to relax your mind. I found this kept my mind off other things and I usually fell asleep. Find what works for you, but relaxing your body and mind will help make the adjustment somewhat easier. Keep hanging in, don"t give up I'm pretty sure you'll find the benefits are worth the effort. Come in here to talk and share and you might be surprised to find you can help someone else. Most people in here want to be helpful and see you succeed. You can do it, let that be your mantra.